Anyone had any carbon dipping done?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Felstmiester

MB Enthusiast
Car
Range rover sport
Has anyone had there interior trims carbon dipped? I'm going to remove the rear diffuser on mine this week and drop it off to be carbon dipped and was toying with the idea of having the trim done at same time.

Never been a lover of fake carbon. But I think the quality of the carbon dipping has come on a lot over the past few years and don't mind the rear diffuser being dipped as its low down and not to easy to look at close up. Being tight I'm not giving silly money they're asking for real carbon ones in the uk and not risking a Chinese one In case it's a crap fit.

I know Craig on here talked about getting his interior trims dipped but don't know if he went ahead. I'll live with the diffuser if it's not that great but couldn't live with interior trims if it's just gonna look cheap.

I'd check on durability first from the place you choose as the overlay clear lacquer application they use will be its win or loose point . If it's anything like what they use in aircraft interiors, wear can be seen not long after going into service. I'd see if you can back check with any previous customers for their experience. There are some good and bad guys out there like all things.

I've seen loads of the bmw crew on the net that have had there rear diffusers dipped so surely theye are up to the job of lasting?

Personally I wouldn't we had my dads engine bay done it looks good from a distance but when your up close there is fish eyes and looks abit tacky.
I would pay the extra and get genuine Carbon skinning done using real carbon fibre.
Already had some bits on my car done and will be getting the fathers engine redone.
Sending my front lip spoiler off and also my daytime running lights to get them done.

Personally I wouldn't we had my dads engine bay done it looks good from a distance but when your up close there is fish eyes and looks abit tacky.
I would pay the extra and get genuine Carbon skinning done using real carbon fibre.
Already had some bits on my car done and will be getting the fathers engine redone.
Sending my front lip spoiler off and also my daytime running lights to get them done.

I'll look into that. Not herd of carbon skinning before to be honest.

Last edited:
^^^ It's otherwise known as carbon overlay. With overlay the difference is that under a thick layer or epoxy and lacquer you have a CF sheet, not a printed flat image on the surface like with the dipping. It looks much better but also costs more and takes longer to finish.

Stick to proper carbon fibre, even if you have someone really good dipping and polishing you can still easily tell that it's fake.

^^^ It's otherwise known as carbon overlay. With overlay the difference is that under a thick layer or epoxy and lacquer you have a CF sheet, not a printed flat image on the surface like with the dipping. It looks much better but also costs more and takes longer to finish.

Now you say overlaying yes I have herd of this. So that would raise a problem with having the interior trims done. Adding that little bit extra would create problems.

Now you say overlaying yes I have herd of this. So that would raise a problem with having the interior trims done. Adding that little bit extra would create problems.

I'm not sure I follow. What problems would the CF create? I have had two interiors done and both look better than the wood veneer they replaced.

Had bits done for the exterior of the ML, including rear diffuser, front lip spoiler, and drl surrounds, (all from a ML63) The finish is superb, it has been dipped, laquered, flattened & polished to achieve the finish.
Been on the car for several months and is still spot on, however as always time will tell.

Had bits done for the exterior of the ML, including rear diffuser, front lip spoiler, and drl surrounds, (all from a ML63) The finish is superb, it has been dipped, laquered, flattened & polished to achieve the finish.
Been on the car for several months and is still spot on, however as always time will tell.

Got any pics? Interested to see how it looks given the amount of work that went into it.

I'm not sure I follow. What problems would the CF create? I have had two interiors done and both look better than the wood veneer they replaced.

The extra layers of the carbon etc would add to the thickness of the already tight flush fitting trims and maybe wouldn't fit correctly?

The extra layers of the carbon etc would add to the thickness of the already tight flush fitting trims and maybe wouldn't fit correctly?

Ah, no. The original lacquer and veneer gets sanded down, then CF, epoxy and lacquer build up to the original thickness. All your controls sit flush against the new interior, no difference to how it was before:

13629036613_f768f7f35a_h.jpg

13629377694_d649d76153_h.jpg

Got any pics? Interested to see how it looks given the amount of work that went into it.

There you go, I know it may not be everyones cup of tea, but I a very pleased with it. The good thing with hydro dipping is the possibilities of design, colours, etc are vast. Just the carbon alone has a multitude of colours, choice of weave etc

Alx said:
Ah, no. The original lacquer and veneer gets sanded down, then CF, epoxy and lacquer build up to the original thickness. All your controls sit flush against the new interior, no difference to how it was before:

Where did you go to get yours done. I've sent mine to a chap in Poland as uk suppliers always took too long when I had some done.

Where did you go to get yours done. I've sent mine to a chap in Poland as uk suppliers always took too long when I had some done.

oCarbon.com in AZ, USA. Wasn't a quick job but I was happy with the look and price.

13629036613_f768f7f35a_h.jpg

13629377694_d649d76153_h.jpg

That's a beautiful job :thumb:

I had an idea to try with this one the thing what if you get it wrapped in a 4d carbon fibre look film and put a clear coat on top.
I will try this and come back to you guys with the pics as well.

Hi
Having just read your post, there is an excellent hydro dipping company in Poole Dorset, called Wicked Coatings.
They done a whole host of motorcycle parts for me and the results are superb. Before I committed to the process, I took a trip down there to see what kind of setup they had. The answer was very professional. If you speak to them, you can book your parts in. They turned my parts round in about 7 days. (24 parts)
Hope this helps

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom