Anyone had Comand (or any Double Din unit) stolen?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ringway

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
2017 Audi RS6 Avant Performance Edition. Range Rover Supercharged - Lovely!
I've been weighing up the differences between a used Comand unit and a new aftermarket Double Din.

Both units have equal features but the aftermarket unit has a detachable face which is my preference.
I spoke with the owner of a car audio shop recently who said the theft of Double Din units is a rare occurrence, but I'd like other opinions, please.

TIA.

My son had his double din unit stolen fro the car park at Blackburn cinema, they smashed the driver window to get in. The thing is, he had removed the front and took it inside with him :dk:

Fortunately the police knew where to look, they went straight to a known persons house and recovered it within 1 hour. He got it back the following day with minimal damage apart from the broken window.

Comand units are pretty hard to steal. Requires some dismantling of the fascia/gear surround before you can get at the mountings. The later ones are coded to the car I think so not a great market for them.

doubt anyone would steal a comand double din (i.e. old generation) unit now... would surely be so low in desirability stakes when it is outperformed by most aftermarket systems

i think thieves are more deterred if it looks oem rather than retrofitted

double dins will be more up to date however and i think kenwood this year has some award winning ones

i guess if you find one with removal fascias and can be bothered to take it out each time that will give you better sound etc

some audio centres make it look very oem with what they do to the fascia so pros and cons to both really

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom