Anyone had DMS experience of mods on a CLS55?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mcm55

Hi Guys,

Firstly i am a newbie so please forgive me if I could have found an answer via the search!:)

I have a 2006 CLS 55, been going great for the past 12 months and it aint looking good for a change at the minute so had thought of a DMS remap?

Does anyone know anyone who has experience of this on the SL55 or a CLS55? Its £850 for it and can be done tomorrow but i would like to know what to expect first.

Cheers

Andy Mac

Welcome!!

DMS do have a great reputation, although expensive. Do a search on this forum as they do come up in conversation from time to time.

Remember the affect on warranty and insurance.

I have always been very pleased with the DMS remap on my C32, and this week I had a V6 320CDi E class estate in for service. The DMS remap on that felt impressive from the seat of my pants, but the owners dyno report showed 262 bhp, rather than the 274 bhp they quoted.

I have no experience, however, of any normally aspirated DMS remaps but they would not be as impressive as forced induction ones, I am sure. Ask them for a demo??

Have a look at "Angel Tuning" before you go to DMS. A few members on here recommended them with proven results.

I have always been very pleased with the DMS remap on my C32, and this week I had a V6 320CDi E class estate in for service. The DMS remap on that felt impressive from the seat of my pants, but the owners dyno report showed 262 bhp, rather than the 274 bhp they quoted.
Your MAF is probably dying so reducing power generally. You should always ensure the car is performing at it's best before a remap as it may not be required adn may only be compensating for another fault.

I have no experience, however, of any normally aspirated DMS remaps but they would not be as impressive as forced induction ones, I am sure. Ask them for a demo??

I fail to see how a remap on an atmo can achieve anything other than maybe advancing the timing a bit. Even a charged petrol can't achieve much due to tight mixture control by the Lambda.
grahamC230k was less than impressed by his DMS remap on the kompressor.

Hi Guys,

Firstly i am a newbie so please forgive me if I could have found an answer via the search!:)

I have a 2006 CLS 55, been going great for the past 12 months and it aint looking good for a change at the minute so had thought of a DMS remap?

Does anyone know anyone who has experience of this on the SL55 or a CLS55? Its £850 for it and can be done tomorrow but i would like to know what to expect first.

Cheers

Andy Mac

I believe Maff had his CL65 remapped by DMS.

Managed to get the car up to 209MPH if I recall.:eek: :cool:

I fail to see how a remap on an atmo can achieve anything other than maybe advancing the timing a bit. Even a charged petrol can't achieve much due to tight mixture control by the Lambda.
grahamC230k was less than impressed by his DMS remap on the kompressor.

Tudu reported positive results from 'Angel Tuning' for his remap, think he gained just over 10bhp in total, which for £300, you really cant go wrong.

Tudu reported positive results from 'Angel Tuning' for his remap, think he gained just over 10bhp in total, which for £300, you really cant go wrong.

Apparently for £350 with Celtic tuning its possible to go from 82BHp to about 125bhp. But thats a diesel!

Apparently for £350 with Celtic tuning its possible to go from 82BHp to about 125bhp. But thats a diesel!

The world of diesel tuning is a little odd. I specifically held out to find a 2.5TDi A4, and whilst it was brilliant, when I came to get a remap they said that the 1.9TDi was far, far better for it... :mad: The remap for the 2.5 only gained 15bhp I think. Could possibly be because the 1.9 VAG unit is so common.

On that point, how exactly do they manage such a range of power options from the same engine? AFAIK there are versions from 85bhp-130bhp for the Sport Audis (And then upwards with a remap)

Still, would go for that lovely V6 lump any day :D

On my C200K, had remap car was dynoed (see M271 Engine Thread), and showed increase of 9.7 in bhp. For £299.00, i thought it was a bit off a rip off as the quoted increase given by Angel Tuning was 25bhp.

Apparently my C55 has also been remapped i have the disc somewhere. The guy i brought it from claims it has increased to about 400bhp, which i very much doubt, and only a dyno would confirm. As it stands the C55 is fast enough as it is in standard form, and any increase with a remap i think would be hardly noticeable. The C200K, on the other hand the increase can be noticed, but i have since added a Kleemann header and cat, sprintbooster, and a complete C55 exhaust system, but again only a further dyno would confirm the true increase.

If you go ahead be aware of outrageous increases given, and ask to see dyno figures of same model before parting with money. As you can gather i would probably not go down this road again without seeing/testing evidence to back up bhp claims.

The world of diesel tuning is a little odd. I specifically held out to find a 2.5TDi A4, and whilst it was brilliant, when I came to get a remap they said that the 1.9TDi was far, far better for it... :mad: The remap for the 2.5 only gained 15bhp I think. Could possibly be because the 1.9 VAG unit is so common.

On that point, how exactly do they manage such a range of power options from the same engine? AFAIK there are versions from 85bhp-130bhp for the Sport Audis (And then upwards with a remap)

Still, would go for that lovely V6 lump any day :D

Possibly the 2.5 is already highly tuned from the factory.

diesels are so damn compatible with forced induction (turbo's)... i wish petrol's were like that... :(

Tudu - i know you only gained ~10 bhp for £300, but i myself have seen what these people do when they are remapping (changing the fuel-air mixture etc) and when they quote 25bhp, it isn't really true IMMEDIATELY but after a few thousand miles its meant to 'set in', and even then, it wont reach 25bhp, more like 15-18max. But in my personal opinion 10bhp for £300 for a petrol engine is good 'bang for ur buck', since if u think about it, exhaust systems and all that cost around £500 (typically) and they only give gains of 10-15bhp in reality.

Its just a nice quick increase in power, without having to do heavy modifications to the engine.

Last edited:
Your MAF is probably dying so reducing power generally. You should always ensure the car is performing at it's best before a remap as it may not be required adn may only be compensating for another fault.

A set of spark plugs and some low tech workmanship with a couple of sensors and the car improves quite a bit.

Just using some heat shield padding on the air intake cools the incoming air by up to 60 degrees C.

so many little things which add up to so much more. I would be looking at high flow catalytic converters for starters.

ECU software is like MS Windows, it promises a lot but really doesnt do anything different.

diesels are so damn compatible with forced induction (turbo's)... i wish petrol's were like that... :(

Tudu - i know you only gained ~10 bhp for £300, but i myself have seen what these people do when they are remapping (changing the fuel-air mixture etc) and when they quote 25bhp, it isn't really true IMMEDIATELY but after a few thousand miles its meant to 'set in', and even then, it wont reach 25bhp, more like 15-18max. But in my personal opinion 10bhp for £300 for a petrol engine is good 'bang for ur buck', since if u think about it, exhaust systems and all that cost around £500 (typically) and they only give gains of 10-15bhp in reality.

Its just a nice quick increase in power, without having to do heavy modifications to the engine.

Agreed, probably might be the case. The C55 exhaust system complete plus new boot well for my C200K plus labour came to just over £2,000.00. If i add to that £1,840.00 for the Kleemann header and cat, and a further £1,540.00 for the Kleemann performance kit (yet to fit) that's over £5K for an increase from 163bhp to 230bhp (quoted by Kleemann). Will it ever reach the quoted 230bhp? i don't know yet, but it is an epensive hobby.

I believe as others have quoted that with remaps you can much better results from diesels. The only true (well almost) way to test BHP and tourqe is from a dyno, and i gather the accuracy of even a dyno is determined by outside temperature etc.

Surely cheaper to buy a car with a bigger engine even with the higher insurance and fuel costs?

Lynall

Surely cheaper to buy a car with a bigger engine even with the higher insurance and fuel costs?

Lynall

Already been there with that one. Takes away the fun off modding albeit as said earlier an expensive hobby.

Already been there with that one. Takes away the fun off modding albeit as said earlier an expensive hobby.

It's only a mod if it doesnt void your insurance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom