Anyone had one. Troubles? what to look for.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

trapperjohn

MB Enthusiast
Car
124 300D 24V Estate
My lad is thinking of changing his Focus Estate - 1.8TdI - 170K Miles.

He has three children to squire about (age 1 year to 10) and does about 15k a year. All private funded miles.

What does the team think about this. I have no knowledge of Vauxhall Diesels. Trying to get him into a 270 Estate but no luck thus far.

2006 VAUXHALL SIGNUM DESIGN 2.8 V6 BLACK (51000k) not astra vxr vectra zafira | eBay

No experience to share, TJ, but around five years ago (when I was looking to change my S202) I was seriously coinsidering the Signum in Elite spec. I thought they looked very distinctive, and the fact that they majored on rear seat legroom reminded me of my W168. Still think they look attractive nowadays, though you rarely see them (which for me is part of the appeal). They seem to be cheap as chips now, too.

Had one as a loaner when I was having my old Saab serviced a few years back. It was the ubiquitous diesel but the space and comfort was exceptional. I've driven a Saab with that 2.8 V6 in it and it was a peach of an engine.

I would be wary of spending that much money on a car with so little description, even if I'd seen it.

I'd risk a few hundred, but not a few thousand.

That's an lot of car for not a lot of money. I've been out of the loop of Vauxhalls for so long I'm out of touch on common issues, but I wouldn't hesitate in having one.

We had an Omega and Astra Coupe when we had our first Baby D, and the Signum was the default choice for our new family car, and is was very impressive, but we ended up buying our W163 - there wasn't that much difference in price.

Good luck with the search John.

Edited to add: I agree with comments that the advert isn't the greatest, but contacting the seller will give you an indication as to whether it's worth a day trip to Bedford.

I would be wary of spending that much money on a car with so little description, even if I'd seen it.

I'd risk a few hundred, but not a few thousand.

Err. One always has the option go and look at it :dk: eBay doesn't have to mean waiting 'till 30 seconds before the end of the auction, bidding top dollar and then letting the misery commence.

John

Signum is a great car very under rated and great value and virtually bombproof but there are a couple of weak areas to watch out for. Fuel pumps are prone if you want to avoid expensive replacements the car must be run on premium fuel. V Power etc. Or add Millers petrol additive. Camshafts are also prone to oil starvation through people using cheap oil and sludge blocking galleries. Head gaskets are also an issue on this engine and are expensive to do.

Would i buy one? Yes i would but it would have to be at the right price and the one in the link is too dear. Something cheaper with a few more miles would be a better option these cars benefit from being run and we've seen some big issues with low mileage examples of these.

Hope that helps :thumb:

Err. One always has the option go and look at it :dk: eBay doesn't have to mean waiting 'till 30 seconds before the end of the auction, bidding top dollar and then letting the misery commence.

This is true. But when there are lots of cars available I personally would be put off travelling to even see a car when the seller has taken so little time and effort to list what to most is a valuable asset.

I'd also wonder about fuel consumption compared to the diesel focus. 15K per annum is not many miles, but I suspect the difference would be noticeable, particularly if some of these are 'urban'.

The car is very strong utterly reliable when looked after and the Holden lump gives a smile a mile in a street sleeper kind of way. I drive a Vectra based on the same platform pm me if you have any specific questions as I have a website to recommend for them that will allay all his concerns.

John - you are aware that is a 2.8 petrol v6 not a diesel?

The diesel signum is the 3.0 ?

There'a also 1.9, 2.0, 2.2 diesel units fitted to this car, the most reliable of which is the 2.2 although a little agricultural they are bombproof, only problem is in the real world they only deliver the same fuel consumption as the 3.0 diesel which is a lovely engine but expensive to put right when it goes wrong.

Someone we know in the trade has this for sale LINKY might be a tad older than you are looking for but it's a minter and I reckon It would be yours for around £1500 - £1600 Not a V6 but a very reliable 2.2 :thumb:

But just looking at your OP you do know the Signum is only a 4 seater like my CLK, so with 3 kids if there is 5 in the family they would not all get in the same car.

Last edited:
There'a also 1.9, 2.0, 2.2 diesel units fitted to this car, the most reliable of which is the 2.2 although a little agricultural they are bombproof, only problem is in the real world they only deliver the same fuel consumption as the 3.0 diesel which is a lovely engine but expensive to put right when it goes wrong.

Someone we know in the trade has this for sale LINKY might be a tad older than you are looking for but it's a minter and I reckon It would be yours for around £1500 - £1600 Not a V6 but a very reliable 2.2 :thumb:

But just looking at your OP you do know the Signum is only a 4 seater like my CLK, so with 3 kids if there is 5 in the family they would not all get in the same car.

Blimey so much info on here. Thanks Ian. If he wont have a 270 estate I'm trying to twist his arm towards a diesel Ford C Max :ban:

The one in the linky. Very nice but clearly shows just 2 seat belt points in the back.

Blimey so much info on here.

My BIL is a Vauxhall master technician he's been repairing them since the 1960s knows everyone of the models inside out and back to front, I just picked up a lot of information along the way helping him :thumb:

Nothing wrong with C Max 1.6 diesel is cheaper to run than 2.0 and does a lot more mpg. 1.6d is a PSA unit and the same as the one in my last Volvo pretty bomb proof as long as you change the oil regular.

You might find THIS an interesting read, and nothing wrong with the car at the top of the list :thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom