Anyone have a Canon 450D?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
BEST site ever for camera reviews!

They DO KNOW what they are talking about!

They're not that good. Still tend to be subjective. I wouldn't buy anything based on their summary conclusions. Treat them as a source of information but not as sole input to any decision.

Thanks guys - I was hoping someone had one who could give me real world use advice :) The 350d was a great camera, but the 400 was a tad lacking (Hence the 450D beung released).

Anyone use the Nikon alternatives?

A bit of background - I know a fair bit about camera's - I used to work for ephotozine.com (I built the current generation of the site - which they then slaughtered with adverts), so I also know dpreview very well as they were our arch rival ;)

To be honest though, I'd trust the reviews at dpreview much more than the ones written at ephotozine! The reviews at dpreview are written by fantastic enthusiasts who adore camera equipment, and are very thorough in what they do. At ephotozine, not so much. Not so much at all.

Last edited:
A bit of background - I know a fair bit about camera's - I used to work for ephotozine.com (I built the current generation of the site - which they then slaughtered with adverts), so I also know dpreview very well as they were our arch rival ;)

I was going to suggest ephotozine as a starting point!

I use the D80 with the 18 - 200 VR lens. It is an excellent combination that allows me to do just about anything.
It fits easily in the hand and all of the functions work in an ergonomic manner. When I see people discussing the merits of various rivals, the reality is that there appears to be little in it.
A number of people that I know have opted for the Nikon D40. This is a smaller, cut down version and again there is high user satisfaction.
The questions are do you want to chnage lenses and carry round the bulk of a DSLR? Do you wamt RAW or is Jpeg okay? On all of these cameras A4 size enlargemenst and A3 will not be a problem although A3 will require optimum conditions. If you are going to show your pics only on the web, which is the choice of many these days, it doesn't really matter.
Before the Nikon I had a couple of other Digitals and they were very disappointing. Prior to that I had concentrated on Leica but also had/have Linhof, Pentacon 6x6, Yashica, Olympus, Minolta and so on. I liked just about all of the analogue that i used but I am now exclsuively digital to the point that I am looking to upgrade to possibly a NIkon D700 or one of the new mega pixel full size sensor SLR's said to be coming out at the end of this month.
I know one person with a 450D and they are more than happy with it. They have an enlargement of around one metre by two metres that they have taken with this and it is magnificent. Note that you are meant to view it standing back, up close, you can, of course, see the noise.

I used to have the same combo and even now that the D80 is pretty old by today's standards I would still recommend it, although the Nikon D60 may offer better value.

Saying that, I also know a few people with the 450D and none of them complain!

Simon

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom