Anyone have a Samsung Curved Screen TV ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Do you know anyone who works at Waitrose/John Lewis?
They get 15% off TV's you know;)

Very happy with the 40" Samsung smart TV we bought last Dec.
£360 with discount and a 5yr JL warranty.:bannana:

Living life at the more frugal end ........ Last week O/H bought the 49" Hitachi from out of Argos for £300. ( As advertised on tv this week reduced to £289 !! )
This replaced a Hitachi 32" Plasma which works fine but only 32". The 49" has a nice screen, good colours, doesnt need a sound bar and has a nice remote with soft touch buttons. Smart TV with wireless built in also . All in all I am very pleased with this, and to think a couple of years ago a 49" screen was over £600 . Steve

As mentioned previously 4K material is in a whole new ball-park, I've got the Netflix UHD service and I've just sampled a couple of the many programmes. 1080p was staggeringly different when it first came out but 4K is yet again in another league. Although the TV I bought is considered entry level 4K it is nonetheless staggering the depth of field is something to behold it looks 3D without the silly glasses. I am sure that if my wife finds out she will go mad but so far it doesn't look any different to the 1080p Sony it replaced although it is slightly bigger but I doubt she will ever notice.

I am sure that if my wife finds out she will go mad but so far it doesn't look any different to the 1080p Sony it replaced although it is slightly bigger but I doubt she will ever notice.

Hehe. That's fantastic!!! Great post :D

We're taking Dryce's advice today and going to a few stores. See what takes our eye. :bannana:

Ant

Curved screens?

Marketing department fantasy........

Unfortunately soon it might be difficult to buy a flat screen with the very latest tech specs, will have to wait until the next "must have" pops into their heads.

I am sure it is the best thing since Baird woke up one morning in 1924 ;)

Hehe. That's fantastic!!! Great post :D

We're taking Dryce's advice today and going to a few stores. See what takes our eye. :bannana:

Ant

Good plan, do check out the PQI figure and see if you can tell the difference. I could between 900 and 1200I tend to ignore the salesman. The new nano crystal like the one I bought seem to have the edge in picture quality. There is also plenty of free 4K content on You Tube to show off the set most of which is used as a demo in the shops

Yep good advice. The only sales men to take notice of are the ones in Richer Sounds who really know their stuff.

Twice I have gone in having done my research knowing exactly what I wanted to buy and both times they advised that a better spec could be obtained for less money and we're happy to set up the items side by side to demo.

Shame when I wanted my tv they couldn't get any of the Samsung's as they are fantastic to deal with and no quibble if you have to return anything

Last edited:
What are the capacitors like in new TV's? I've still got my 40" Samsung HD from when it first came out, Samsung had the capacitors fixed out of common courtesy, a local company from Kettering sent a guy out and fixed it in five minutes.

Does all this new technology have the same faults after a while? I understand these are still quite new so I doubt there have been problems yet

I bought exactly this 3 weeks ago and its fantastic, you don't have to sit dead centre of the screen its designed to be viewed from all angles and the picture quality is stunning much better than the equivalent flat screen.

Best thing I've bought in the last couple of years and SWMBO and JSWMBO think it is absolutely stunning

At these prices it would be rude not to buy :D

Ian, I see you bought the 6740 model as apposed to the 6500.

I know nothing about tech things. Can you give me an idea of way the model that you bought is worth the extra pennies?

And also if you also think that either model would not be great as a 40"?

Any advice would be appreciated. :thumb:

Ant.

Yep good advice. The only sales men to take notice of are the ones in Richer Sounds who really know their stuff.

Twice I have gone in having done my research knowing exactly what I wanted to buy and both times they advised that a better spec could be obtained for less money and we're happy to set up the items side by side to demo.

Shame when I wanted my tv they couldn't get any of the Samsung's as they are fantastic to deal with and no quibble if you have to return anything

Its a shame that the closest Richer Sounds to me is 60 miles away in Newcastle. I'm going to have to carry out my buy on-line instead. :(

Ant.

+1 this Happened to me last year, I went in wanting to buy an entry level 4K but ended up buying a higher end HD, viewed both, the 4K is amazing IF you have the UHD channels, had a good chat with the Richer Sounds salesman about this topic...on standard HD channel the picture of the TV I bought was better, so imho if you do buy 4K you need to ensure you have the UHD channels to enable its full potential...

I have been watching a curved Samsung for almost a year and they are great. The viewing experience is much more involving. It is similar to IMAX vs regular cinema.

And to think, they spent decades trying to make crts as flat as possible...

If shopping around for these things , don't forget to check Costco .

Our Samsung LED TV is now 5 or 6 years old and still doing well , but when I bought it I compared with all the other retailers mentioned and Costco were about 30% cheaper as well as giving the 5 year warranty , which back then only John Lewis offered but at £2100 instead of the £1500 I paid for the same set .

After some research I replaced a rear projector Sony TV with a Samsung 6 series led a couple of years ago! I cannot say I am thrilled with the picture quality. May be because of low colour saturation in LED tvs compared to Sonys. Then I learned that all Samsung's up to series 6 (6400, 6800, etc) irrespective of frequency specs 200k, 400, 800 etc, are equipped with the cheaper panels that have the low generic factory refresh ability. The specs then were just hype and much digital oversampling. I don't now if things moved on since then but for an a real upgrade I would go for a 7 series upwards. More expensive though. (Similar case with SLRcameras ..more megapixels does not always mean better quality pictures if the core sensor is smaller. And same with hi-fi..an old expensive tube could sound a lot better than a modern amplifier some say even.)
So resolution (4k) is good, (don't see the point for a curve panel other than looks) but there are other factors to consider though, more basic, like the generic panel refresh frequency (its not included in the publicised specs for obvious reasons) and the number of processors that actually turn the digital signal to analogue.

After some research I replaced a rear projector Sony TV with a Samsung 6 series led a couple of years ago! I cannot say I am thrilled with the picture quality. May be because of low colour saturation in LED tvs compared to Sonys. Then I learned that all Samsung's up to series 6 (6400, 6800, etc) irrespective of frequency specs 200k, 400, 800 etc, are equipped with the cheaper panels that have the low generic factory refresh ability. The specs then were just hype and much digital oversampling. I don't now if things moved on since then but for an a real upgrade I would go for a 7 series upwards. More expensive though. (Similar case with SLRcameras ..more megapixels does not always mean better quality pictures if the core sensor is smaller. And same with hi-fi..an old expensive tube could sound a lot better than a modern amplifier some say even.)
So resolution (4k) is good, (don't see the point for a curve panel other than looks) but there are other factors to consider though, more basic, like the generic panel refresh frequency (its not included in the publicised specs for obvious reasons) and the number of processors that actually turn the digital signal to analogue.

And to think, they spent decades trying to make crts as flat as possible...

Yes although a lot easier to make the beam hit a convex or near flat screen as opposed to the extreme edges of a concave curved screen.

Our Samsung LED TV is now 5 or 6 years old and still doing well

We have a Samsung from 6 or 7 years ago and there's little wrong with it and I'm struggling with reasons to upgrade to 4k until more sources are available. Although in saying that, 4k up sampling from a lower res signal is attractive, but not enough to make the move - in the next couple of weeks ;) .

(Similar case with SLRcameras ..more megapixels does not always mean better quality pictures if the core sensor is smaller. And same with hi-fi..an old expensive tube could sound a lot better than a modern amplifier some say even.)

Interesting you mention SLRs , although same comments are true for mirrorless. Sensors development, in particular z-plane photosite location and x-y overlap, leads to better low light and higher DR capability ( Sony A7S Mk I and II for example). These same techniques can be used for light emitters, resulting in a higher light 'volume' per given area. Similar techniques were employed many years ago by a company called Princeton who used the highest dot pitch of any PC CRT on sale. I seem to recall the individual pieces of phosphor overlapped each other giving the impression of a very slight 3D effect - with a price tag to match.

Last edited by a moderator:
We have a Samsung from 6 or 7 years ago and there's little wrong with it and I'm struggling with reasons to upgrade to 4k until more sources are available. Although in saying that, 4k up sampling from a lower res signal is attractive, but not enough to make the move - in the next couple of weeks :rolleyes: .

We're in exactly the same position. There's abolutely nothing wrong with our 40" 8 year old Samsung. HD picture we get is great. Not sure how much better we need it honestly.

However, went to Currys/PC World in Carlisle yesterday and almost enjoyed it as a day out. Whoever designs those places has it spot on. Gives you the feel good factor. Similar to going to a car showroom as apposed to looking at cars online.

It maybe my poor eyesight but to be honest all the TV's looked great. We liked the look of the curved samsungs. Although the picture wasn't any better it looked nice as a focal point. However, as mentioned above I'm really not sure we can justify £600+ when our existing TV does the job.

We could of corse argue that when we change our car, we don't NEED a new car most the time. We do it because we like the feel good factor.

It wouldn't be a bad thing if our TV went bang. THEN I'd go out and buy one in a flash.

What this space.

Ant :thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom