Anyone have a Samsung Curved Screen TV ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It wouldn't be a bad thing if our TV went bang. THEN I'd go out and buy one in a flash.

Ant :thumb:

Allow me Ant.

bang.gif

Chris :cool:

Ant, have you ever noticed how easy it is when you're close to the tv to accidentally knock against it ? thus causing it to fall off the unit down to the floor; at which point it could be cracked or damaged, I'm sure that any home insurance company would appreciate this to be a high risk item & could assist in replacement or voucher towards a modern tv.

Or you could just buy this one & say it was yours & working fine prior to being knocked over

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Samsung-5...291301?hash=item33abe5b9a5:g:MW0AAOSw5ZBWM3kZ

Please other members don't think for 1 minute that I'm advocating any form of fraud or deceit

Last edited:
Ant, have you ever noticed how easy it is when you're close to the tv to accidentally knock against it ? thus causing it to fall off the unit down to the floor; at which point it could be cracked or damaged, I'm sure that any home insurance company would appreciate this to be a high risk item & could assist in replacement or voucher towards a modern tv.

Or you could just buy this one & say it was yours & working fine prior to being knocked over

Samsung 55 Smart TV UE55HU8500T Curved DAMAGED FOR SPARE PARTS / REPAIR (CC36) | eBay

Please other members don't think for 1 minute that I'm advocating any form of fraud or deceit
Which is EXACTLY what you are doing. No wonder all of our premiums are so high. :fail

Samsung 55 Smart TV UE55HU8500T Curved DAMAGED FOR SPARE PARTS / REPAIR (CC36) | eBay

hehehe. Thanks for that Dave but I'm far too honest (and boring) to even consider such a thing.

I remember when I was 14, shopping in Woolworths with my girlfriend Deb (now my wifey) and I picked up a deodorant whilst walking around chatting, we ended up walking out of the shop without paying for it (youngsters in love and all that). Anyhow, both of us were that shocked when we realised what I'd done, so we smuggled the said item back into the shop and paid for it.

Straight-laced I know, but proud of the fact its still how we live our life.

However, I could slip our 10 year old daughter a fiver to remove the wrist strap from her Wii controller whilst playing golf! Then Straight in the car to Carlisle. :bannana:

Just back to your first posting on this thread, have you made a decision on a TV yet Dave?

Ant.

Last edited by a moderator:
hehehe. Thanks for that Dave but I'm far too honest (and boring) to even consider such a thing.

I remember when I was 14, shopping in Woolworths with my girlfriend Deb (now my wifey) and I picked up a deodorant whilst walking around chatting, we ended up walking out of the shop without paying for it (youngsters in love and all that). Anyhow, both of us were that shocked when we realised what I'd done, so we smuggled the said item back into the shop and paid for it.

Straight-laced I know, but proud of the fact its still how we live our life.

However, I could slip our 10 year old daughter a fiver to remove the wrist strap from her Wii controller whilst playing golf! Then Straight in the car to Carlisle. :bannana:

Just back to your first posting on this thread, have you made a decision on a TV yet Dave?

Ant.

Yes Mate, We've made the decision to buy the Samsung UE48JU6740 model from our local Currys or Currys PC World, which is just a short 4 miles from our home. That is buy with £'s :thumb:& not an insurance claim

.. committing a crime under the Fraud act :thumb:

As a city centre cctv control room manager,

I witness more crimes everyday than the rest of the board put together, I really don't need to be lectured.

This thread was started as a genuine request for others comments

Take no notice Dave. I took your post as it was intended, just a little bit of fun for a rainy Sunday afternoon.

Enjoy your Tele mate. I'll bet its a stunner.

May I ask why you picked the UE48JU6740 over the UE48JU6500?

What does it do for the extra pennies?

Ant.

Take no notice Dave. I took your post as it was intended, just a little bit of fun for a rainy Sunday afternoon.

Enjoy your Tele mate. I'll bet its a stunner.

May I ask why you picked the UE48JU6740 over the UE48JU6500?

What does it do for the extra pennies?

Ant.

Slightly better picture rate at 1200 that's all, I actually could only afford the 6500 model at £749, but it was Mrs Dave who offered to pay the extra £150 to get the 6740 model. Mrs Dave (Yvonne) a real gem :thumb::thumb::thumb:

I've just read your post out to Deb. She said "Yvonne is a lovely generous and kind wife" then walked out of the room.

So looks like I'll be passing my daughter that fiver then eh???

hehe. Enjoy the tele Dave.

Ant

I've just read your post out to Deb. She said "Yvonne is a lovely generous and kind wife" then walked out of the room.

So looks like I'll be passing my daughter that fiver then eh???

hehe. Enjoy the tele Dave.

Ant

Umh, Sorry to hear that Deb failed to help you out, maybe you'll have to send her to teh bedroom to watch Coronation St & Emmerdale on the old set.

Maybe your daughter will talk her around

Not only does Yvonne save & contribute to the home but also comes along with me for the day when I enjoy having fun playing with a Subaru on a rally circuit.

:dk::dk::dk:

Last edited:
Hehe. Lucky devil you.

I was just joking about Deb. She's my bessy mate as well as wifey. She hates the soaps, loves F1 & wine. And has indeed told me to order the tele.

It's me that's watchin the pennies for the moment. Been a strange ole year.

Great pictures Dave. Good to hear you enjoy life to the full.

Glad to hear that Ant, F1 lover + wine & no doubt Deb is a great cook.

The subaru day tends to be once a year, we stay overnight at a nearby hotel & have a peaceful evening before the day, & it's one of Howards Freinds that runs the events with about 6 matched cars costs £200 a day but is discounted at Christmas so I buy then and use the day just before the 6 months expiry. Hopefully this coming year will be even better as my son in law, grandsonn & I are planning to go for it on the same day. Watch & Weep as Grandad shows the way around the course

Back to work tomorrow ugh !

We're in exactly the same position. There's abolutely nothing wrong with our 40" 8 year old Samsung. HD picture we get is great. Not sure how much better we need it honestly.

However, went to Currys/PC World in Carlisle yesterday and almost enjoyed it as a day out. Whoever designs those places has it spot on. Gives you the feel good factor. Similar to going to a car showroom as apposed to looking at cars online.

It maybe my poor eyesight but to be honest all the TV's looked great. We liked the look of the curved samsungs. Although the picture wasn't any better it looked nice as a focal point. However, as mentioned above I'm really not sure we can justify £600+ when our existing TV does the job.

We could of corse argue that when we change our car, we don't NEED a new car most the time. We do it because we like the feel good factor.

It wouldn't be a bad thing if our TV went bang. THEN I'd go out and buy one in a flash.

What this space.

Ant :thumb:

I'm pretty much in the same position : I was still using a CRT TV until I got the Samsung ( the 36" Panasonic CRT was only my third set in thirty odd years , having started off with a Sony KX27 PS1 'Profeel' system back in the early eighties ; that one literally did go BANG with a catastrophic failure so I replaced it with the PVM2730QM 'cube' monitor which was its successor and fed it with an Arcam Delta 150 Nicam tuner which was just about the best available at the time . I actually still have that monitor lying under my desk at work , nothing wrong with it , and only moved on to the Panasonic because so much stuff was 16:9 latterly , and the Panasonic only made way for the Samsung because our young son was finding his feet and rocking this very heavy set back and forth on its stand - before he was squashed under a 100Kg TV , a wall mounted unit was brought in .

For a while I also got quite interested in home cinema and had ( still have in storage ) a Sony VPH1270 7" CRT projector ( I worked for a presentation company for many years and used to set these things up for conferences and other events , so my one at home was 'tickety-boo' ) along with a room full of video and audio equipment ; I eventually tired of it all and have now gone back to a 2 channel hi-fi system with vinyl records as the main source , and through which the TV sound can be routed when required , otherwise the built in audio suffices .

As far as the resolution debate goes - I work in photography and video production - while everything we originate is now shot in HD ( haven't moved to 4K yet , simply because of cost ) but most of the stuff we deliver is put out on DVD's at standard def , because that's all our end users can view . Sure , if you look for it , you can see a difference between the different resolutions , but for most people , most of the time , SD is perfectly adequate and many wouldn't notice the difference . I haven't even bothered with a Blu-Ray player for the house yet , but can play HD content from my computer or various off-air sources .

As with so many things : cars , hi-fi , cameras etc etc , the law of diminishing returns kicks in on TV sets as well and you have to spend increasingly more to see real improvements .

I'm pretty much in the same position : I was still using a CRT TV until I got the Samsung ( the 36" Panasonic CRT was only my third set in thirty odd years , having started off with a Sony KX27 PS1 'Profeel' system back in the early eighties ; that one literally did go BANG with a catastrophic failure so I replaced it with the PVM2730QM 'cube' monitor which was its successor and fed it with an Arcam Delta 150 Nicam tuner which was just about the best available at the time . I actually still have that monitor lying under my desk at work , nothing wrong with it , and only moved on to the Panasonic because so much stuff was 16:9 latterly , and the Panasonic only made way for the Samsung because our young son was finding his feet and rocking this very heavy set back and forth on its stand - before he was squashed under a 100Kg TV , a wall mounted unit was brought in .

For a while I also got quite interested in home cinema and had ( still have in storage ) a Sony VPH1270 7" CRT projector ( I worked for a presentation company for many years and used to set these things up for conferences and other events , so my one at home was 'tickety-boo' ) along with a room full of video and audio equipment ; I eventually tired of it all and have now gone back to a 2 channel hi-fi system with vinyl records as the main source , and through which the TV sound can be routed when required , otherwise the built in audio suffices .

As far as the resolution debate goes - I work in photography and video production - while everything we originate is now shot in HD ( haven't moved to 4K yet , simply because of cost ) but most of the stuff we deliver is put out on DVD's at standard def , because that's all our end users can view . Sure , if you look for it , you can see a difference between the different resolutions , but for most people , most of the time , SD is perfectly adequate and many wouldn't notice the difference . I haven't even bothered with a Blu-Ray player for the house yet , but can play HD content from my computer or various off-air sources .

As with so many things : cars , hi-fi , cameras etc etc , the law of diminishing returns kicks in on TV sets as well and you have to spend increasingly more to see real improvements .

A very similar route to that which I took through various incarnations of home TV/Cinema [email protected] mine was the 37" Mitsu CRT, that was "only" 90Kg :D and the cinema room also had a Sony 1270 in it, and after an hour or so setting it up it gave amazing pictures, but you did have to let it warm up each time you turned it on before it all "came together".

I still know where there is a Sony Broadcast Video disc recorder virtually unused (one disc used once, then stored!).......I phoned the BBC archive and they weren't interested!

Now onto an old Samsung 50" HD Plasma, gives great piccies and contrast, so will wait until something really much better pops along, as the cinema is now covered by a VPL55 thingy so the normal TV can wait.

But much like you I know am tending to revert to something more simple and with our move to Cornwall I may well just get a decent Sound Bar for the TV and leave the 7.1 system for the cinema room, makes it all a bit more simple.

The trouble is it becomes upgrade time all round time, I've just bought a higher spec sub woofer and centre speaker to go with the new telly. That's it now the surround sound matches the set.

The more I watch the curved screen in comparison to the flat, I'm convinced the curved style is a gimmick and Waste of money.

Key daughter says the same, but wife thinks it's better.

A very similar route to that which I took through various incarnations of home TV/Cinema [email protected] mine was the 37" Mitsu CRT, that was "only" 90Kg :D and the cinema room also had a Sony 1270 in it, and after an hour or so setting it up it gave amazing pictures, but you did have to let it warm up each time you turned it on before it all "came together".

I still know where there is a Sony Broadcast Video disc recorder virtually unused (one disc used once, then stored!).......I phoned the BBC archive and they weren't interested!

Now onto an old Samsung 50" HD Plasma, gives great piccies and contrast, so will wait until something really much better pops along, as the cinema is now covered by a VPL55 thingy so the normal TV can wait.

But much like you I know am tending to revert to something more simple and with our move to Cornwall I may well just get a decent Sound Bar for the TV and leave the 7.1 system for the cinema room, makes it all a bit more simple.

The main downer with the 1270 was the noise from the six ( I think it was ) cooling fans running .

It maybe my poor eyesight but to be honest all the TV's looked great. We liked the look of the curved samsungs. Although the picture wasn't any better it looked nice as a focal point. However, as mentioned above I'm really not sure we can justify £600+ when our existing TV does the job.

The reality I suspect is that apart from the OLED screens that in real use there isn't that much to differentiate the actual screens as fast as most consumers are concverned. The premium paid to get beyond an IPS basic LED backllight setup to something that is allegedly better is simply too high.

The 4K screens tend to look great demo-ed cityscapes and slow pan macros - but again the reality is that as a TV the actual benfits are rather less tangible.

My primary reason for going for 4K at this time was to be able to display my digital images. So that's a reason to upgrade but not traditional TV functionality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom