Anyone here canoe?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ade B

MB Enthusiast
Car
2006 Accord Tourer iCDTI EX
Hello All

Not been around much of late and back from hols.

Have just bought an inflatable kayak for mucking about with Junior B when ever possible. Hopefully heading out this weekend for first test following paddling about Windermere on a friend's kayak last week.

Anyone into this have any suggestions for safe locations in the SE?

Cheers

Ade

Last edited:
^ We were thinking of getting one before we went away.

we looked at the Sevylor range. I like the idea of the sit on top ones although not inflatable.

We see quite a few people using them on the River Dee in Chester where I live. Looks like a nice way to spend an evening.

We are still looking for one as its the sort of thing that will last for years and get a lot of use from.

we looked at the Sevylor range. I like the idea of the sit on top ones although not inflatable.

We see quite a few people using them on the River Dee in Chester where I live. Looks like a nice way to spend an evening.

We are still looking for one as its the sort of thing that will last for years and get a lot of use from.

My friend has two, one like this and a single seat version of the same. He'd just been for a week of guided wild camping and canoeing around Loch Shiel with his family - the pics looked amazing..

Junior B loved it and spent a couple of hours sat up front paddling around Low Wray on Windermere. He also went out with my friend and his 5 year old to do a bit of fishing. Never even thought about a canoe before this, but it was brilliant.

We considered the hard shell boat but it will prevent us using our roof box when camping so we went for the inflatable instead. Also one less thing lying around our already overcrowded flat and garden as it will pack into a cupboard (allegedly).... :)

I'm like a kid at Christmas and can't wait for the weekend... :eek::D

Ade

One thing to watch out for with sit on kayaks is the width. Some tend to be a lot wider than others which is good for stability, not so good for your knuckles when trying to paddle. If you are digging in for a bit of power then your hands get closer to the boat, if you've been out for a while your hands are nice and soft (think long time in bath) and you can very easily leave your knuckles without skin.:crazy:

This is much easier to do on a sit on rather than a sit in type kayak as you are already reaching down to get the blade in the water.:) It is much easier if you capsize of course.:D

There speaks the voice of experience.:doh:

I guess you hired the boat from the back of the Boathouse Restaurant. I've eaten there a few times but went to Millsom's last time I ate up that neck of the woods.:thumb: Nice pics BTW:)

yeah; Umesh the Maitre'd is very attentive; we like to eat at Le Talbooth when our badly behaved brood allow us the luxury of a quiet meal... never seen so much 'hounds tooth' and brogues (and that's just the lady guests lol) under one roof... :D
yes; we got the boat from the boathouse restaurant; worked up an appetite only to find the boathouse rester aunt had finished serving food :(

the photos aren't mine; shamelessly plagiarised off google search ;-)

yeah; Umesh the Maitre'd is very attentive; we like to eat at Le Talbooth when our badly behaved brood allow us the luxury of a quiet meal... never seen so much 'hounds tooth' and brogues (and that's just the lady guests lol) under one roof... :D
Got around that by booking The Library Room when we went, No.1 Son's farewell meal so 12 of us. £50 gets you the room for the night neither "hounds tooth nor brogues" were seen during the evening.:thumb: Much more leisurely meal with nice gaps between courses to let the food go down lubricated with large amounts of alcohol.:D

Update:

We've been out twice on the Medway, once at Tonbridge and once at Yalding. I'm hooked, back again for an overnight camp this weekend with Junior B who shares my enthusiasm.

Phone snap from Tonbridge:

mooringcanoe.jpg

Have joined the BCU which gives us access to most navigable inland waterways and acquired Peter Knowles 'Pub Paddles' for further exploring.

Highly recommend it.

Ade :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom