Anyone in the South with secondary cat delete

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

danieljames

Car
SL55 AMG
Hi all, ive been toying with the idea of removing the secondary cats on my SL55. I have read many mixed opinions on this and would really like to hear the results before making the changes. I live in the New Forest area wondered if there is anyone out there that has done this mod on the same car that is around over the Easter weekend ? Happy to drive a fair distance if required.

Hi all, ive been toying with the idea of removing the secondary cats on my SL55. I have read many mixed opinions on this and would really like to hear the results before making the changes. I live in the New Forest area wondered if there is anyone out there that has done this mod on the same car that is around over the Easter weekend ? Happy to drive a fair distance if required.

Daniel. Get it done. You will not be disappointed.

I have had my C55 done. Remove the resonator and secondary cats on mine I had them opened up and the guts scooped out, then welded back up.

It is not boomy on motorways or barry boy sounding. It just sounds like a V8 should. Fantastic sound on hard acceleration. Small animals come out of hibernation as you go past and old lady's mess themselves.

I live in Kent.

I had the secondary cats removed from my SL in November 2009 c/w the silencers in which they were housed......replaced by two short lengths of s/s pipe. The work was done by Longlife.

Love it; and if and when my exhaust system needs renewing in any way it will never again have the middle boxes and the secondary cats.

I am near Oxford.

Mic

There is a Goodwood meet on Saturday (check the events section) which you could come along to and I know Rash who should be attending has it removed on his CLK63 :thumb:

Thanks Bruce and Mic for your replies, Kent is a little too far but would drive to oxford if your about over the weekend Mic ?

I wasnt going to get the cats removed at all but wanted to fit a couple of these but there is no room without cutting the them out.

Im just concerned about messing up the nice original sound/balance between refinement and v8.

Thanks Bruce and Mic for your replies, Kent is a little too far but would drive to oxford if your about over the weekend Mic ?

I wasnt going to get the cats removed at all but wanted to fit a couple of these but there is no room without cutting the them out.

Im just concerned about messing up the nice original sound/balance between refinement and v8.

Hmmmmm. I like these. I know they are big on American cars. Let me know if you fit them.

I expect to be here most of the w/e......let me know and I'll get the kettle on.

Mic

Hi,
I have a M113 V8 55 N/A engine fitted in my C43 AMG, and have both my secondary CATs removed and the resonator box removed it rest of the system is standard it sounds awesome, many people have commented on it.
I,m in Totton so just on the edge of the new forest, so not far from you.

Last edited:
hi all

i was considering doing this myself i have a 2004 CL65. Does removing the secondary cats have any implications for MOt etc?

cheers

I did it on my C43' by Magnaflow near Heathrow, secondary cat/resonator delete, standard back box.

Sounds awesome when you give it some beans, has a nice idle, but fine for everyday and motorway cruising, and pooling along.

I've done it on mine it sounds awesome

Sounds like a plan, I'll have to tell the misses (ask permission) ;)

Hey Daniel :thumb:

As Steve mentioned, I had the rear cats and silencer removed a while back.

Very happy with the results. Sounds awesome.

I have a different engine to you though so I'm not sure whether you'd prefer to find someone who has the same engine as you, to get a true idea of what yours would sound like.

A few of us are heading down to Goodwood on Saturday (providing the weather stays dry! :crazy:)

Should be there for around 9-9.30am and will be there for a few hours.

:thumb:

does anyone know what a cl65 sounds likes with the rear cats removed?

i seen on a couple of threads in the usa which talk about x pipes - will this give a better sound?

Thanks

andy27168 said:
Hi,
I have a M113 V8 55 N/A engine fitted in my C43 AMG, and have both my secondary CATs removed and the resonator box removed it rest of the system is standard it sounds awesome, many people have commented on it.
I,m in Totton so just on the edge of the new forest, so not far from you.

I did exactly the same on my CLK55 W208 M113 V8 and it sounds awesome. Just nice a nice rumble when in traffic, but u can really hear the V8 when you put your foot in :) also passes its MOT easily with no problems. It's now exactly how it should of always sounded from the factory.

I would recommend it. Mine came with secondary CATs removed and it sounds much better than standard.

I would hang on to your secondary CATs though as technically removing them fails the latest MOT regs - although I've been through two now without issue.

I bought a cheap set off eBay for a ton so I don't get stitched up.

I was told these guys carry out a fair few 55 Amgs, might be worth a chat with them Stainless Steel Exhaust Systems & Custom Built exhausts, Stainless Exhaust | TopGear.co.uk

Hey Daniel :thumb:

As Steve mentioned, I had the rear cats and silencer removed a while back.

Very happy with the results. Sounds awesome.

I have a different engine to you though so I'm not sure whether you'd prefer to find someone who has the same engine as you, to get a true idea of what yours would sound like.

A few of us are heading down to Goodwood on Saturday (providing the weather stays dry! :crazy:)

Should be there for around 9-9.30am and will be there for a few hours.

:thumb:

I'm going to pop down to Goodwood late morning so will hopefully see you there. Thanks again. :D

I am thinking of doing this, so called topgear and they said it has an mot implication. Is that for newer cars or does it apply also to a 2003?
Also, what do we inform our insurance company. "Removed bits of the exhaust so it sounds better" ? Lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom