Anyone Interested In A Guitar Thread?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Welcome back.

Any favourites?

The best of the Les Paul's is a Custom Shop Axcess, that gets lots of playing time, as does the Surf Green Strat (a Custom Shop Deluxe). There's a Custom Shop Deluxe Telecaster buried in there somewhere which is a beautiful player. The PRS is a Core Custom 24 Floyd, which is also a beauty to play.
The pink one on the bottom rack is a Charvel 'Masterbuilt' which is adorable ... but I spend more time trying to decide which one to play than I do playing.

Possibly the best song ever written about a guitar?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHxOego2Sso

I was fortunate enough to work as Guy Clark's tour manager on two tours of the UK and Ireland back in the late 1980s. He was a wonderful songwriter, a mesmeric performer and a perfect gentleman. He sadly died earlier this year. I miss him.

Talking of Guitar songs John Hiatt's PERFECTLY GOOD GUITAR -- lament--- is pretty good--- here's the live "grunge " version. softer more introspective versions are available.:cool:
[YOUTUBE]pzeoLe6nSrU[/YOUTUBE]

Here's my small contribution to this thread.

IMG_0316_zpsr0th8dcz.jpg

Yamaha RBX270L which is my main weapon of choice.
Dean PBCE is a recent acquisition, and I love it.
The old Hondo in the background is what started me off, and got me my first of two "Top Tenuous" claims in Rock'n'Roll when I bought it as a 17-year old. I was in a band at school with a mate who later found some fame in the '90s on the BritPop scene.

They all play through my faithful Marshall bass combo on the right.

A lefty 4-string Sting Ray is the only thing I'd still like to find in order to complete the set.

Mine's bigger than yours. :p

There is something warm in the whole look of that guitar, that makes you want to pick it up and hold onto it. What a stonking example.

Wow that's a collectors item. Does he play it much?

My babies

My 1972 Gibson SG with DiMarzio pickups, owned this one since about 1985.

In the words of Pete Townshend (Quadraphenia),'I got a Gibson, without a case. But I can't get that even tanned look on my face. ill fitting clothes and I blend in the crowd. Fingers too clumsy, voice too loud'.

Finally managed to find a case for it this year:D

She's got the wear and tear of 48 years use and a few chips here and there, but that's all part of the charm for me. She sounds and plays great, if she was restored to 'like new', she wouldn't be half as cool :cool:

I tend to play this Les Paul copy a lot

I've got about a dozen or so guitars, drives my wife mad :dk: :D

Last edited:
Camerafodder, that's a lovely instrument. Whose signature is on the scratchplate?

Hawkwind, those Vintage guitars are great. I have a LP Goldtop with P90s (actually P100 stacked humbuckers) and I can't see where the extra £1500 is in a Gibson.

Small%20Goldtop.jpg

Last edited:
Camerafodder, that's a lovely instrument. Whose signature is on the scratchplate?

Hawkwind, those Vintage guitars are great. I have a LP Goldtop with P90s (actually P100 stacked humbuckers) and I can't see where the extra £1500 is in a Gibson.

I'm not sure about the sig. As far as my pal understands, his Uncle bought it brand new from a guitar shop in Nashville, he even has the original bill of sale. It was a packed evening involving other guitars, valve hifi amps etc so we didn't get to too much detail. I'll ask him about it. I didn't take take that picture, it was sent to me via email a couple of months ago. What impressed me was that it looks completely original, including the headstock which is a known weak point on these.

I'm not sure about the sig. As far as my pal understands, his Uncle bought it brand new from a guitar shop in Nashville, he even has the original bill of sale. It was a packed evening involving other guitars, valve hifi amps etc so we didn't get to too much detail. I'll ask him about it. I didn't take take that picture, it was sent to me via email a couple of months ago. What impressed me was that it looks completely original, including the headstock which is a known weak point on these.
Sometimes, if luck is with you, the serial number can provide some provenance from the manufacturer? Not always so as it may well have been sold on many times and repaired out of the factory etc.

I read a great article on Paul McCartney stopping an auction for a Hoffner Base that was being auctioned as "owned and played by PM". He disputed the " played" part of the description on the basis that he was given may Hoffner guitars, but did not play them all and did not actually remember this particular one. Somebody else then stepped forward (having seen the article) and claimed ownership of the guitar. This was subsequently proved when he was able to demonstrate that his belt buckle had worn a particular groove into the back of the body. IIRC. The guitar had gold frets.

Wow that's a collectors item. Does he play it much?

He inherited it from his elderly Uncle who passed away recently. He's learning to play...some instrument to learn on huh? :D

Sometimes, if luck is with you, the serial number can provide some provenance from the manufacturer? Not always so as it may well have been sold on many times and repaired out of the factory etc.

I read a great article on Paul McCartney stopping an auction for a Hoffner Base that was being auctioned as "owned and played by PM". He disputed the " played" part of the description on the basis that he was given may Hoffner guitars, but did not play them all and did not actually remember this particular one. Somebody else then stepped forward (having seen the article) and claimed ownership of the guitar. This was subsequently proved when he was able to demonstrate that his belt buckle had worn a particular groove into the back of the body. IIRC. The guitar had gold frets.

The guitar was purchased brand new by his Uncle in 1964, all original. He has the original bill of sale, just over $340!

I would imagine gold would be rather too soft for fretwire, gold alloy of some sort perhaps? A good friend of mine built a guitar for Paul McCartney, luckily there is a youtube video of PM playing it so if anyone acquires it in the future the provenance should hopefully be easier to prove.

OK Stratman I have an answer, I should have paid more attention the other night. Although it looks like a signature its actually the worn out Firebird logo. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom