Anyone know about Permitted Development and Extensions etc?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Will

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
GL63 AMG / 190E 2.5-16 / Porsche 911
Hi Gang,

Would appreciate any advice/wisdom from those of you who know much about this area or have had any recent building work carried out.

I live in a relatively modern (late 70's) house in Surrey. It's a typical brick built 3-bed semi/end terrace (of 3) in a nice enough area, and we (wife baby and myself) are happy here for the foreseeable future.

Our house is a pretty similar to most of the others in our road, but the plot we're on is quite fortunate in that it's larger than most others in the road with an extra 2.2m or so (7ft) or so to the side and runs fully from front to rear boundary lines. To the side is 'common land', a grassed area that does not front a highway etc.

We currently have a small (2.5 x 5m approx) single story rear extension (as do most of the other houses) which although functional is not ideal (single skin, flat roof) and is a little tired and will need maintenance at some point (fascia boards, felt roof), likewise in the near future I will need to think about replacing soffits/fascia boards and guttering on the main house, as well getting our driveway paved and removing an overgrown hedge on our boundary to the side to replace with a wall or fence. The house is ok for us currently, but thinking ahead for the future it would be nice to have a little more room with possibility of a growing family.

This had got me thinking about what needs doing maintenance wise on our home and what we could do at the same time.

Having only recently read up about the Permitted Development scheme, I was surprised to see that quite a number of extension possibilities could be built without requiring planning permission. And it seems that so long as you meet the criteria you can build two stories on the rear without needing planning either.

I'd like to demolish the current 2.5 x 5m extension and rebuild to go out another 0.5m to around 3m in depth and stay around 5m wide (approx full width of current house) downstairs, perhaps adding 3x3m approx as a second storey (which would keep a clear 2m from our neighbours boundary and for light etc).

This would hopefully create enough room for an additional bedroom upstairs and replace the existing flat roof on the old extension with a pitched tiled roof and better insulation etc, replacing guttering and fascias on the main house too of course.

The other possibility I'm thinking of would be for the ground floor extension to increase in width by around 2m, wrapping around the side of the current house to create a small utility room area by utilising the side strip of land we have (currently unused space). This would free up a good bit of space for the washing machine, dryer, laundry stuff etc and give an extra bit of space for our current rear room.

Anyone done any similar work or projects recently - any tips or advice?

Not many houses in our road have had extensions like this but then again not many would be able to due to space and location (adjoining other houses/main road/next to garages etc)

I would obviously need plans etc drawn up if it looks like it would work out, but unsure of what order to proceed - ideally want to check feasibility of my ideas before I get carried away or too involved. I know there are a couple of inspection chambers (ie drains) close to the house so this would be a consideration - stuff like that.

A house opposite and further down the road tried for planning permission for a two-storey side extension (which is not possible under Permitted Development and was also quite a bit bigger at 3.3m wide) and it was rejected - mainly due to building coming out towards main road beyond building line of other houses and other issues). Hence my preference for PD route - but I guess if we tried for planning and were refused we could still build single storey side and two storey rear under PD allowances anyway? I think you can obtain a certificate called an 'LDC' to prove that your development meets the PD guidelines to satisfy any concerns if need be.

Would ideally like to get it planned out, and maybe contract out for the shell, and arrange fitting out/finishing myself if possible to keep costs manageable. There would be no real rush either as main house wouldn't be greatly disturbed during the build other than knocking through upstairs.

Any thoughts/advice/suggestions or experiences greatly appreciated - it's all a bit new to me, but I feel it's worth looking into as it has to be better value than moving in my area (stamp duty and other costs) and whatever I do spend within reason should increase the value of my current home accordingly should we need to move in future.

Thanks in advance :)

Will

The local planning department is a good place to start to get advice and there should be something on their website.
Check where the drainage is and check to see if there are any underground services that you plan to build over. Service diversions are expensive but unlikely to be at the rear.
If you having plans drawn up then the person doing this should be able to advise you.

It can vary from region to region so always worth checking.

In my area, I have just gone from a twenty square metre conservatory with a double apex roof to a kitchen with the same footprint but with a single pitch (lean to) double skin extension. This was permitted without requiring permission because it was built on the same footprint (with new foundations of course) as the existing structure which had required no planning permission at the time because it was a conservatory.

Just added a single story garden room to our house which sits within permitted development rights. Most Local Authority Planning Departments provide easy to follow guidance notes on this topic including previous extensions / buildings on the same site. All on line and easy to follow including advice on fees and submission details too.

Thanks guys.

I've been having a good read through the 'technical guidance' document pages for the PD, and now understand a bit better.

Where as I could build on the side (single storey) and two storeys on the back, they must not be joined as one.

Ie, I could build similar to what I proposed but would need to leave a 2m x 3m gap on the corner so they are classed as two separate extensions, in order for it to be PD. Which wouldn't be quite as I planned, but maybe an option if, say, I went for planning and it got turned down? Would mean opening up the main side wall of the main house from the kitchen/dining area for the utility - I could build it a little further forward towards the front elevation instead of mainly towards the rear as there's plenty of unused space along there.

I noticed last night that an appeal has been put in by the house nearby for their two-storey side extension, so I'm interested to see how they get on with that also.

Any further thoughts or advice would be most welcome :)

Will

From memory two storey side extensions are more contentious because of the impact on elevations nearby and the appearance of the whole block. Would be having a detailed chat with Planner before going much further and it's free too!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom