Anyone know about uPVC double glazing?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pammy

MB Enthusiast
Car
hers - slk 320, his - dull diesel BMW fleet :/, Xtrail, Honda CBR 1100xx, Yamaha YZF600, Ribble Road
OK - first of many :D

The house I have just bought has fulluPVC double glazing. BUt it's quite old and has that horrible black beading which seems to be perishing. How easy/difficutl is to replace the black with white and any idea how much it might cost?

Also the front door is a uPVC jobby but is not to my taste. The frame and outerdoor frame are fine - but it's the inner panels that are yuck, so same as before, how east/difficult is it to replace and likely cost? Or is it likely to be cheaper to get a full new door.

TA chucks ;)

upvc

the rubbers that fit between the glass and the plastic bead can be replaced,you will have to check the profile and try and get more its easier if you know which company fitted the windows origionaly.the door centre is just a large insert ,this can be changed for a new style if required..

mercmanuk said:
the rubbers that fit between the glass and the plastic bead can be replaced,you will have to check the profile and try and get more its easier if you know which company fitted the windows origionaly.the door centre is just a large insert ,this can be changed for a new style if required..

Fab - was hoping that would be the answer. Thought it would be - but I have have a habit of seeing things the easy way - that often doesn't exist :D

Unfortunately I have no idea who fitted them - but I'll get someone out to have a look ;)

pammy said:
Fab - was hoping that would be the answer. Thought it would be - but I have have a habit of seeing things the easy way - that often doesn't exist :D

Unfortunately I have no idea who fitted them - but I'll get someone out to have a look ;)
I would recommend you get someone that you trust, providing the door is a standard size then just like you have been told the frame is independant of the 'middle bit'.

I hope the window rubber seal is a straight forward replacement. If it is a bog standard, off the shelf rubber seal then I cannot see a problem, but double glazing has moved forward.

If this rubber seal is on the exterior, then how easy is it to take out, then following on from that, will the window then come out? A few years ago it was the favoured method of burglars to gain entry into properties. (It was easier\quieter than breaking) It might be worth thinking about replacing the windows if they are of an older, more vulnerable design.

Sorry about that,
John

Worth checking but most of the UPVC windows I've seen have all the "removeable bits" on the inside so that shouldn't be too much of a worry.

Andy

andy_k said:
Worth checking but most of the UPVC windows I've seen have all the "removeable bits" on the inside so that shouldn't be too much of a worry.

Andy
Totally agree Andy,
It is only on older UPVC windows that the rubber seal was accessible externally. I have mentioned this because Pammy was saying how the rubber was past its sell by date, so I thought there might be a slight chance of these being the older style?

Regards,
John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom