Anyone know anything about PAYG gas meters??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MB Enthusiast
Car
09 E320 cdi Sport Estate, 98 E300TD Estate, 99 SL 500
Hi

We have just got gas in to run the Rayburn cooker and partial heating and it is a pay as you go meter.
Here in Belfast we are due a 30% rise in gas prices soon and i was wondering if i keep topping up the gas say to £500 or £1000 will i get the gas at the pre increase price or do they do something remotely with the meter or whatever???

Sorry if it seems a daft question, also is there a limit to the amount you can top up to?? I know you can only put £49 on the card at a time.

Thanks,

I know that modern "intelligent " meters can be read and perhaps rates set?? remotely so that it may be that your card will simply yield you less gas after the change in price? Not sure how exactly these prepaid meters work---tread carefully before lashing out loads of cash would be my advice.

Last edited:
If you can afford it you have nothing to lose.

You'll use the gas eventually.

We have a gas pre pay unit an old thing that beeps and asks you to press buttons when you top up. I've been led to believe that when you top up the card gets told you've put £100 on and that means X amount of units presumably set via the pay point.

You cant pay "in advance".
The gas you use 'on the day' is priced 'on the day'.
Unfortunately. Otherwise we would all be doing it.
Gas is priced on its caloric value and therefore units can vary in price accordingly.

Simplest thing would be to call your energy supplier and ask them? Or is that too obvious ?

You cant pay "in advance".
The gas you use 'on the day' is priced 'on the day'.
Unfortunately. Otherwise we would all be doing it.
Gas is priced on its caloric value and therefore units can vary in price accordingly.

So the meter works out the calorific value????? When i put £49 in the meter via the card it increases the cubic metres of gas remaining by 121 cubic metres so if the calorific value increases or decreases before those 121 cum are used up does it change something????

If i understood how the meter worked i would be happier:wallbash:

Simplest thing would be to call your energy supplier and ask them? Or is that too obvious ?

I will try and phone them but thought i would try and see if we had some experts in the field on here who would give me an unbiased answer.

whats the make and model of meter?

Hi

Just went down the road to check and its a Landis + Gyr Libra 110.

Thanks,

This may give you some more background. Landis+Gyr | Products They can use GSM communication for intelligent meters now. Your particular meter is not mentioned but the site gives you an idea of the technology available.

So the meter works out the calorific value????? When i put £49 in the meter via the card it increases the cubic metres of gas remaining by 121 cubic metres so if the calorific value increases or decreases before those 121 cum are used up does it change something????

If i understood how the meter worked i would be happier:wallbash:

No. But thats one of the disadvantages of pre-pay.

If you pay as most do, than it states on the bill the calorific value of the gas supplied on the bill. It only varies by a very small amount.
The price you pay is per therm - which is calorific value. Although the quantity supplied is shown as well in cubic metres.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom