anyone know cigars?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

guydewdney

MB Enthusiast
Car
906 Sprinter 313cdi
found three boxes of cuban cigars, one unopened, from my grandfather (who died in 1995 aged 80).

He was quite wealthy, and wouldnt have bought rubbish.

ill post up pics when i can, but is it worth it, or are 30yr old cigars just firelighters now?

Depends on where they were stored. An unopened box of cigars in a drawer or in say your living room, will start to dry out after a couple of months. If stored in the right humidity range, will last indefinitely. Best bet is open and see how badly they've dried out, but could well be knackered. If you've a humidor you can rescue dried out cigars sometimes, but that's unlikely if they've been poorly stored for years, but worth opening and checking

King Edwards are lovely with roast beef and Yorkshire pudding.

There is a place and time for a good cigar.

The place...as far away from the house as possible.

The time ....1990. :) :)

hmmm. in a trunk, in a cool but dry room for the last 10 years, a hallway iirc for ten prior to that, and who knows where with the grandfather.

anyone want to try? foc.

What make and name e.g. Cohiba (make) Esplendidos (name)?

It would be worth trying to re-hydrate them but the chances are slim after all that time...worth a try though because.......

I bought a box of Cuban cigars recently from someone who bought them in Cuba. I paid a modest price and found that whilst a box was going for £600+, an individual cigar was going for £130!

If you have a lidded box big enough to take the open box of cigars, I would put the cigar box in with a wetted piece of something like that green stuff they use for flower arranging or failing that, a piece of wetted sponge on a saucer. Put the whole lot in a cool but not cold place and monitor daily.

When you roll the cigar next to your ear like you see in old films, it should not crackle which means it is dry. It also should not be 'heavy' which means it has taken on too much moisture which can lead to mould.

If you were closer, I would offer to see if I can nurse them back in my humidor for you, unless you are happy to post them. Just let me know.

EDIT: Just saw your more recent post......I volunteer! I would try and revive it first though to see if it could be done so you could do the same.

Last edited:
I used to smoke Montecristo #5 for pleasure and cafe creme through the day or Camel Filters.

I quit smoking in 2001. I don't miss ciggies one bit but do miss a nice la de da.

Basically what giantvanman said. You've nothing to lose in trying to rehydrate. Soak oasis (green stuff for plants) with de ionised water ( must t be deionised), place in resealable plastic freezer bag. Or send me one and I'll see what can be done

We don't want to discuss your meat and two veg Paul!

I'm still trying to cast Ella in something by Shakespeare so she can have Ophelia my Hamlet. :crazy:

Yeah, I know...

I have boxes and boxes of cohiba and monte Cristo cigars I bought back from Cuba. They sit in humidor for guests when they visit.

Cohiba ones are approx £30 each over here I believe. In Cuba they are hugely cheaper.

I'm told that ex US president, Bill Clinton knew how to re-hydrate a big cigar. Well that's what Monica said. Sent from my iPhone using MBClub UK

de huifkar (on lid) hamers&co
huificar reservados (on cigar)
white papery sausages.
opened box of 20 ish

coronor again 20 ish. opened. clear plastic cellophane with small red shield

larranaga (unopened, almost tracing paper wrap)
25 lolas en cedro
CCC ?logo?

pm me address for samples....

Okay, first ones I believe are a Dutch cigar, using tobacco from various countries, the second could be either Cuban or Dominican Republic. Not,a clue what they would have cost in the first place.

de huifkar (on lid) hamers&co
huificar reservados (on cigar)
white papery sausages.
opened box of 20 ish

coronor again 20 ish. opened. clear plastic cellophane with small red shield

larranaga (unopened, almost tracing paper wrap)
25 lolas en cedro
CCC ?logo?

pm me address for samples....

Have a look on here you might find something similar that points you in the right direction.

Cigar Aficionado

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom