Anyone know Clerkenwell area of London ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

garystu1965

Car
Mercedes E350 CDI Coupe
Me and the missus are staying at the Thistle Barbican Hotel next week.

I've read some horror stories about the area and then other websites say it's one of the hot and trendy places in London.

Does anyone know anything about Clerkenwell ?

Last edited:
clerkenwell is very near Islington, which is truly trendy .. allegedly

seriously though, there are lots of yuppy flats in Clerkenwell, and a few places to eat plus pubs, churches etc so it's quite an interesting place to stay, plus it's central

Culpano - it is a very small area of central london - you seem to be implying that it is about as safe as Baghdad.
Get a bit of perspective mate - have you ever ventured south of Cheshire before?

I was merely asking because there is a travel website which said the place is the pits and the hotel isn't in a great location (you know parking the Merc etc and wondering whether the star will be there). We booked it without checking.

I see you are trying to be a smart ass about travelling....this is just USA alone....

New York (6x), Los Angeles (3x), Chicago, Boston, Washington DC (x2), Philadelphia (4x), Pittsburgh, Detroit (x2), Cleveland, Cincinnati (x2), Indianapolis, St Louis, Baltimore, San Francisco, San Diego (x3), Phoenix, Las Vegas (x3), New Orleans, Dallas, Houston, Memphis, Nashville, Atlanta, Salt Lake City, Denver, Miami, Minneapolis / St Paul, Milwauke....sorry I'm giving up now. 41 US States.

Well you did ask :D

culpano said:
Me and the missus are staying at the Thistle Barbican Hotel next week.

I've read some horror stories about the area and then other websites say it's one of the hot and trendy places in London.

Does anyone know anything about Clerkenwell ?

Yes, not the most wonderful of areas but I believe that hotel offers limited number of parking spaces for guests at £20 per night.

I would not worry about ur car as London is full of top of the range brands and marques such a flagship SLs, S Class, CLs, Ferris, Benley's, Porches all over the place and the W203 will not be considered anything too "special" in London (I am a W203 owner too...).

Flash

I live in old street and have worked in clerkenwell for the last 10 years

i can confirm that clerkenwell / barbican it is as safe as houses (by just about any criteria)

in fact the barbican is a very quiet and pleasant area of London at the weekend

crime is simply not an issue, personally or for your car

depending on when exactly at the weekend you will be in the area i suggest you don't even waste money on parking at the hotel, but park on a yellow line CHECKING CAREFULLY that you are outside of controlled hours

the usual rules apply wrt safety, don't leave valuables in sight in your car, or park it down alleys, but this is normal advice for anywhere but the most rural places anyway

your only problem in the barbican area is what to do, i guess you already have something to do (which is why you are coming down), but if at a loose end and the weather is nice, a walk around the City (as in financial district) is quite fascinating as it is like a ghost town at the weekend, kind of gives the impression of being a sleeping monster that wakes up on monday and starts to make billions of pounds for the economy...

didn't realise i was quite so poetic...

Clerkenwell is where many of the major London clubs are like Turnmills and Fabric. Great place for going out, safe as anywhere in London. Good nights out around there.

Hope you enjoy it!

Flash said:
I would not worry about ur car as London is full of top of the range brands and marques such a flagship SLs, S Class, CLs, Ferris, Benley's, Porches all over the place and the W203 will not be considered anything too "special" in London (I am a W203 owner too...).

Flash

What the **** are you on about mate ? I'm simply asking about what an area is like as I haven't been there. "Ooh London is a big City with lots of nice cars....". Do you take me for an imbecile or what ? :devil:

yep: sunday night at turnmills for the FF night and sunday night at Fabric for DTPM

you best be from a big city if you go to these nights....

culpano said:
What the **** are you on about mate ? I'm simply asking about what an area is like as I haven't been there. "Ooh London is a big City with lots of nice cars....". Do you take me for an imbecile or what ? :devil:

Hi,

Before you edited youir inital post u said something about "star being taken of ur car..." I was just tryign to put ur mind at ease not to worry about ur car as plenty of top of the range cars (parked all over the place on public roads in London as most places do not have driveways etc.) and none appear to be vandlaised.

I was not implying anything else...

Anyway, I hope u enjoyed ur w/end.

Flash

I was hoping City would win too as cannot stand Untied... as long as United do not win anything and finish third at least third then I'm happy.... :)

Flash

Flash said:
I was hoping City would win too as cannot stand Untied... as long as United do not win anything and finish third at least third then I'm happy.... :)

Flash

Obviously a Chelski supporter :rolleyes: .............we won :bannana: :bannana: :bannana: , watch out we are comming to get you :devil:

Flash said:
London is full of top of the range brands and marques such a flagship SLs, S Class, CLs, Ferraris, Bentley's, Porsches all over the place . . .

Flash

So is Leeds. We also have flash cars "ap nowth"!

Ian B Walker said:
Obviously a Chelski supporter :rolleyes: .............we won :bannana: :bannana: :bannana: , watch out we are comming to get you :devil:

I'm actually with the "Gunners" :)

Will be intersting to see who comes second and third out of us (Chealse have prob more or less won the title realistically but strange things can happen in football ;) )

Flash

Bugblatter said:

I think that ur "mis-interpreting" my inital post - read my second post/reply to Culpano.

Flash

no need to get defensive about the North :p

we southerners all aspire to live there ... eventually ;)

Bugblatter said:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom