Anyone know how to stop condensation on new back to wall cistern

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ioweddie

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
AMG Line Premier Plus Estate C220d
Hi all, I've just completely redone our bathroom, and have a problem with condensation on the plastic slimline integral cistern, this is housed inside an mdf cabinet, as its flushed quite frequently as 4 adults in the bungalow. I have replaced a standard ceramic cistern which also had condensation but no where as bad as this new set up. Not much room to insulate it but has anyone any suggestions as its running down inside the cabinet and onto my new flooring. Ta! Eddie :wallbash:

I just had to replace a concealed cistern as it was worn out.

The new one has an insulated polystyrene outer lining to prevent condensation. Could you replace it with one of these?

Hi thats a good idea! Thanks for taking the trouble to help, can you give me link? though space is restricted, the cabinet is only 450mm x 160mm wide inside. I'm thinking of lagging it with some laminate floor undelay as its about 3mm thick and soft rubbery material, just cant face taking all apart again, so I will try and cut down the number of flushes for a day or 2 until I arrive at the best solution.

There are two ways you might cure this.
The condensation that you experience is due to the wide temperature differential between the incoming water and the room temperature.
It is made worse because ceramic and plastic support condensation well, similar to glass.

You can replace the Cistern with one of these............
toilet cisterns | Tri Shell Cistern

The cistern is constructed of a laminated plastic with provides a degree of insulation thereby condensation is less likely to form and even if it does, it will be reduced.

The other "cure" is to connect your hot water supply to fill the toilet.
This sounds a bit strange, but many European countries do this normally (Spain for example). The water that fills the toilet is therefore at least ambient with the internals of your home and this should stop the worst of the condensation.
Its unlikely the cistern will ever get hot unless you flush the toilet 2 or 3 times in quick succession.
More advice see here...........
Condensation on Toilet Cistern. How to Stop Condensation on Toilet Cistern

I got one of these -

Tavistock Vortex Slimline Concealed Cistern

If you google the name it comes up in loads of places.

I didn't choose for any particular reason. I needed a new cistern so I went to my local one-man-band plumbers supply place and the guy recommended it. It was a doddle to fit and, so far, has been fine.

Unfortunately I've just this week thrown the documentation away but, looking online, it's shown as 434mm wide by 135mm deep.

Good luck, Peter

Try Grohe eau 2.
Has an outer skin of thin polystyrene.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom