Anyone know if GPS speed Camera Detectors are legal in Republic of Ireland?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

clegsr

Car
Later
I am going on a driving holiday next week (arriving off the ferry at Wexford and then driving along the south coast - Cork and then up towards Limerick)

But I got conflicting reports about whether I could take my GPS based speed Camera Detector with me.

I am pretty sure Radar Detectors are illegal but anyone know about GPS based systems?

I am going on a driving holiday next week (arriving off the ferry at Wexford and then driving along the south coast - Cork and then up towards Limerick)

But I got conflicting reports about whether I could take my GPS based speed Camera Detector with me.

I am pretty sure Radar Detectors are illegal but anyone know about GPS based systems?

AS far as I am aware GPS based systems are OK,always use mine in Southern Ireland and never had a problem, but it is definitely an offence to be caught using a radar detector and apparently they come down heavy on you, might be worth visiting one of the speed trap websites but sure someone from ROI will be along to advise shortly

look at the RSA web site for locations of speed traps

they can only use a gatso where some one has been killed

as for detector im not sure i would bring it

not too many traps around and the gatso or parked vans have to be in a area where their is a sign that they are in the area

near cork on the way from wexford speed camera van just on the cork side of midleton always their never any more till you get to cork

its a new thing in ireland and people dont like the vans but less cops with radiar guns since they started using them

so far i know of three vans burned to the ground

as i say the RSA website will have all the info

look at the RSA web site for locations of speed traps

Do you mean www.rsa.ie? because I couldnt find it there, I did find the listing of the camera vans on the Garda website It seems like they are using mobile vans mainly, rather than fixed Gatso's

...but I still couldn't find any definitive info on whether GPS systems are OK or not - it seems strange if the Garda are willing to publicly identify where the Camera Vans are, then it should be ok to take a record of that info with you in the car?..

speed camera dectectors are illegel and will be taken off you, arrested and put before the court at next sitting,or you will be bailed with a bond roughly €300 and released
dont bother with it,as if you get caught speeding tell them you have no money on you and ignore the paperwork when they send it ,as they have no tie with uk Police

Went to wedding last year in waterford but flew to Belfast and hired a car to get there, drove down motorways in southern ireland at totally illegal speeds. Kept getting messages on the m/way information boards saying "Garda says slow down" or something like that, anyway, after a few of these I finally noticed that there was also a speed camera attached to the boards:crazy: I was a bit worried about all these speeding offences but people who lived there told me just to ignore them as they wouldn't be able to enforce them (as hired car was under a UK licence) Just to add to it, I drove through Dublin on the way back using the bus lanes - which had cameras etc. again, nothing happened - though I'm not sure what would happen if stopped by Garda traffic? anyway, enjoy your trip :thumb:

Do any of u people even know what the man is talking about ? Speed detection equipment is illegal i.e. radar..gatso etc. Gps only identifies speed camera locations. which are identified on the garda website anyway. And coppers with gatsos don't put a sign out to say hi i'm up the road and they are not just where people got killed. Gps is used a lot in uk, only starting to use it here. bottom line....gps is fine

Kept getting messages on the m/way information boards saying "Garda says slow down" or something like that, anyway, after a few of these I finally noticed that there was also a speed camera attached to the boards:crazy:

Thats just a motion detector to tell the board to light up...like heres a car now flash the message:rock:

Do any of u people even know what the man is talking about ? Speed detection equipment is illegal i.e. radar..gatso etc. Gps only identifies speed camera locations. which are identified on the garda website anyway. And coppers with gatsos don't put a sign out to say hi i'm up the road and they are not just where people got killed. Gps is used a lot in uk, only starting to use it here. bottom line....gps is fine

yes the vans can only be were some one is killed

also yes their are signs to say speed cameras in this area perment ones

yes gps is fine

i know you say your from ireland were have you been lately

speed camera dectectors are illegel and will be taken off you, arrested and put before the court at next sitting

yes gps is fine

...well glad I asked :)

I found a copy of the legislation

and I think the problem is that the legislation bans a:

... "speed meter detector" (which) means any device which is capable of being used to indicate the existence of...(speed cameras)

So a radar detector definitely falls into this category, but you could argue that a GPS device doesn't "indicate the existence of.." but rather indicates the location of where one may be.

For example if you take a copy of the GARDA official map with you in the car showing where the Camera Vans are located, is that breaking the law?

...anyway it sounds like I would be better served by leaving the GPS device at home and just enjoying the view.

its on the radio and tv adverts that the garda want you to know were they are and use the info to slow people down

at the end of the day they just want to save lives

enjoy your trip

fuel is about 1.52 euro for petrol and 1.48 for d

The simple answer to speed cameras is keep to the limits, as Clarkson would say "How hard can it be"

As already mentioned, a GPS device is not a detector.

An also Mr Horgan, i said the coppers hiding behind the cars don't put signs out and they stop anywhere, obviously the new vans do. Imagine being told you can't use gps in ireland ! Also ...Clegsr does your gps show any locations for ireland ? I know it flashes the speed limits mostly but my old one shows nothing about speed cameras (probably too cheap !)
And +1 BTB 500

I've got an Inforad GPS unit and to be fair it only shows a few fixed a few mobile locations for Ireland (compared to UK where there are LOADS) so its probably not that useful.

Having looked into it a bit more I see that in Ireland there are a lot more mobile vnas and not many fixed Gatsos.

...and diesel and EUR1.48 - thats pretty good I paid GBP 1:49 here in sunny south london :(

Hi, fixed cameras are very scarce in the areas you are visiting.Be careful as you leave wexford heading towards waterford as they like to hide on the roadside there with the laser. Its a new road and easy to exceed the 100 kph limit without noticing. I got a 12 month ban for speeding on that road last august.I also had to pay 200 euro bail pending the court hearing.

For example if you take a copy of the GARDA official map with you in the car showing where the Camera Vans are located, is that breaking the law? No its fine

So a radar detector definitely falls into this category, but you could argue that a GPS device doesn't "indicate the existence of.." but rather indicates the location of where one may be.GPS + Garda map is ok Speed detector is not

Danny devito "Imagine being told you can't use gps in ireland" Who said that ?

GPS works fine in Ireland now

Ooohhh check you out with the highlighted text ! Nobody said it except me, i imply that people were saying it's the same as using radar detectors so best not use em. But of course u can so happy days are here again ! :bannana::bannana::bannana::bannana::bannana::bannana::bannana::bannana: i love baanaanaannns

For example if you take a copy of the GARDA official map with you in the car showing where the Camera Vans are located, is that breaking the law? No its fine

So a radar detector definitely falls into this category, but you could argue that a GPS device doesn't "indicate the existence of.." but rather indicates the location of where one may be.GPS + Garda map is ok Speed detector is not

Danny devito "Imagine being told you can't use gps in ireland" Who said that ?

GPS works fine in Ireland now

see merc snobbery..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom