Anyone know their Golfs - TDI engine confusion

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrahamC230K

MB Enthusiast
Car
Audi A3 & S4 quattro
I have posted on www.uk-MKIVs.net, but maybe someone here knows their MkIV Golfs.......

I am trying to narrow down which model MKIV Golf for my Girlfriend.

I thought a 5dr TDI was the answer (circa 2000 X/Y/W plate).

I am a little confused over the power outputs of the engines, when they changed etc.

I have read that the 90BHP TDI engine is slooow so I was intending on staying well away.

I test drove a W reg (2000) Golf S TDI which was advertised as the 100PS model. However looking at parkers the 100PS model did not come out unitl 2001. Anyway this car was too slow and not suitable.

Can anyone confirm if this W reg car would have been the 90 or 100PS model? I need to scratch the 100PS model from my list if it was.

I also mananged to drive an R plate car badged TDI (red I) which I was told was a 110PS GT TDI. Now this was a differnt machine all together and was totally what I expected from a modern TDI engine and the car I imagined ideal for my girfriend. It really was quite nippy, almost wote off a TDI from the prior test drive, so well happy with the result from this.

So I think a 2000+ GT TDI is my requirement, but I might not write off a 2001 100PS model if the car I drove was the infamously sluggish 90BHP. I have the reg number of the car if someone knows a site that gives that much detail.

All help appreciated.

Graham

The red letters are the key to this:

TDI = 90 or 100 PS
TDI = 115PS
TDI = later (130 PS?)

One of my staff has an 03 115PS SE which has been remapped to 130 bhp and it is very fast, quiet, economical etc (it was good beofre the remap too).

I love the Mk IV Golf and had one myself. I disagree with the tv/magazine critics, I think it's much better built and better looking than the new one. I hope your girlfirend is very happy with whatever you buy, it's a fab car.

The 115PS model is probably a later revision than the years we are looking at I think, but that helps thanks.

I really want to know if I drove a 90 or 100PS though - if it was the 100PS, I can't believe the difference 10BHP makes. The car I drove first must have been the old injection style 90PS model, but I 'd love to know for sure.

The 110 GT TDI on the other hand was really quite zippy!

You want one of the later PD TDI's. the "S" you drove would have been baised on the older low pressure injection system.

The main differences would be in the torque outputs of the engines, PD's being much higher.

try www.vagdrivers.net for more info.

To give a definitive answer to my own question, the only way to REALLY tell is from the engine code of the actual car:

The PD engines (later and better)

BHP KW ENGINE CODE

100 74 ATD/AXR

115 85 AJM/AUY

130 96 ASZ

150 110 ARL

And the non PD

70 50 AGP/AQM

90 66 AGR/ALH

110 81 AHF/ASV

I believe the 115, 130 and 150PS GT TDI PD engines are 6 speed too.

GrahamC230K said:
I believe the 115, 130 and 150PS GT TDI PD engines are 6 speed too.

UK spec ones certainly are, however there are a huge number of Euro imports around which look identical to their UK counterparts, save for the number of gears. About three years back a neighbour of mine bought a new (Mk 1V) GT TDi PD (5-door) with the 130PS engine though a broker and it only had five gears. I seem to remember that he was pretty p*ssed about that, too :D

In Italy (2004) I was shooting various tourist destinations for holiday brochures and the car I hired was a Mk 1V 115PS PD 5-Door Golf, which was badged as a TDi (the "Di" bit was in red). It didn't have the GTi seats one associates with the GT versions, but it did have the 15" alloys, a GTi-look body kit and mouldings and full ACC. And six gears....

In short, these Golf model designations are a bloody minefield, apparently :(

A friend of mine has 150BHP TDI and it is quick and she loves it...

90BHP TDI GT should be sufficinet for your g/f and mid range punch is not that bad and I have driven one too. The GT comes swith climate control, headlamp wash etc.

Flash said:

90BHP TDI GT should be sufficinet for your g/f and mid range punch is not that bad and I have driven one too. The GT comes swith climate control, headlamp wash etc.

I don't think there was a 90BHP GT TDI.

It has to be a 110 or better is the decision we have come to. Having to consider higher mileages than I wanted as these cars are holding their value, but fingers crossed.

Sorry Graham - Your right it was around 109 or 110 ish BHP GT model... :eek: However, the "I" on the end of the TDI badge was in red.

What is your budget?

GSBellew said:
But the MkiV GTI did not have a specific body kit with the exception of the Anniversary GTI

Sorry, I was referring to the physical adournments that characterise the exterior of a GTi, rather than a specific body kit. Forgive me :eek:

BearFace said:
UK spec ones certainly are, however there are a huge number of Euro imports around which look identical to their UK counterparts, save for the number of gears. /
I have read that some of the very 1st 115PS models were 5 speeds and that the 5 speed was in afact an otion instead of the 6 speed if you wanted it!! Either way apparently there are some UK 5 speed 115's about.

Flash said:
Sorry Graham - Your right it was around 109 or 110 ish BHP GT model... :eek: However, the "I" on the end of the TDI badge was in red.

What is your budget?

£7K. Forgetting guide prices (the Golf TDIs really keep their money grrr), I am looking at W, X and Y plate cars with as low a miles as poss. Aircon is a must, FSH is a must and it must be a 5 door.

I actually have someone doing all the hard work for me, but have given them a hard target of very low miles, almost impossible for the budget so will be expanding their range tomorrow so should start getting some choices - if I cant source a Golf TDI fairly quickly I am doing something wrong.

Got us a W plate Golf GT TDI 6 speed with 45K miles. Nice spec.

Pics to come, will be happier once the cam belt has been changed!

VW recommend every 60K miles for cam belt to be changed but I was talking to a mechanic and he reckons that they really need doing at around 80K miles on the VW Golf TDIs...

Flash said:
VW recommend every 60K miles for cam belt to be changed but I was talking to a mechanic and he reckons that they really need doing at around 80K miles on the VW Golf TDIs...

The PD TDI eninges tend to be 60K offically, but the early 115PS engines like mine were actaully 40K for the first belt change then 60K thereafter. VW also mailed all their TDI customers to change their policy to 4 years max without a change too.

The car is booked in next week for the cam belt change - it is due and it's not something I shall be skimping on!

R2D2 said:
Well done Graham! When does it get remapped??:)

Thanks Greg.

Well, it's averaging 55mpg and I think to be honest I'll save the S4 for the really fast stuff ;) It's the girlfriends well deserved daily driver and our weekend car to keep the miles and costs down on the S4 ownership.

No mistake this car pulls though. Having been a RWD man since passing my test and of very recent used to the quattro, I lost count of the amount of times I totally unintentionally screeched or activated the traction control driving home last night - that's 1st and 2nd gears! I learnt not to accelerate full throttle, to hang onto the steering wheel tightly and to expect it to torque steer violently in the wet!

The spec includes climate control and the dual DIN Gamma head unit with spearate CD player. The similarity to the Audi build and interior trim is very close as you might expect.

I appologise for not aranging a meet as we collected the car reasonably locally from Meopham Green, but we were very short on time.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom