Anyone know this S63? Reg MM07 MVX

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi Jim,

I enquired on that beast a few weeks ago and the seller never got back to me. However, it looks of good spec etc.

regards,
Rocky

MOT history not great but nothing really bad. Strange that it was put in for MOT in 2015 and failed due to missing wheel bolts. Never seen that before. Discs seem to have been a problem so I'd be checking if they have been replaced or factor into price. Not asking top money anyway.

Doesn't look well looked after from the MOT history.

Although it has good spec (see datacard), given it appears somewhat unloved, the engine is well within the M156 headbolt issue range and it has ABC suspension, plus a trade seller with only a mobile phone number, I think I would pass on this one.

Attachments

• MM07MVX dc.pdf
    158 KB · Views: 18
Thanks guys, I passed. :)

A spare garage, and a wonderful exhaust sound is a recipe for disaster - and MM07MVX is now filling the void.

Unloved certainly, needs wheels, tyres, and brakes (all due next week), and probably quite a lot more before it starts to look and feel like a car of mine. It drives well, it's amazingly comfortable, was very cheap, and everything works, so maybe not a complete disaster.

I've watched a couple of Hoovie's Garage on YouTube, but obviously have failed to learn from someone else's disasters!

It will either be my worst or best buy. Time will tell.

…..oh, did I mention the exhaust sound?!!

A spare garage, and a wonderful exhaust sound is a recipe for disaster - and MM07MVX is now filling the void.

Unloved certainly, needs wheels, tyres, and brakes (all due next week), and probably quite a lot more before it starts to look and feel like a car of mine. It drives well, it's amazingly comfortable, was very cheap, and everything works, so maybe not a complete disaster.

I've watched a couple of Hoovie's Garage on YouTube, but obviously have failed to learn from someone else's disasters!

It will either be my worst or best buy. Time will tell.

…..oh, did I mention the exhaust sound?!!

need to see pictures Arc123
everyone likes a before, during and after pic - enjoy the beast...

S63 1.jpg S63 2.jpg S63 3.jpg Untitled.jpg
Not too bad in these vendor pics, I'll add some of the less attractive bits in the next few days, some of which are quite odd!

Mike

Looking forward to your posts on the S63. Love the wheels, I have the same style on my SL500.

very nice - looks purposeful bit of kit

Unfortunately I think it's main purpose will be to empty my wallet!

I know the feel bud, oh well you only live once!!!

S63 Progress Report
  1. Tyres have been delivered - Michelin PS4S, although the Pirellis on the SL seem to work well (and the Continental winters).
  2. Three of the four wheels are here, and look very good - DPD have decided to keep one for some reason, but I expect it won't be long.
  3. Front discs and all the pads have arrived - struggling to find the rear 365mm AMGs, unless I want to pay £1,800+ to the dealer, which I don't, so may have to skim the existing.
  4. Car now has a proper unused spare wheel, all the tools, and the floor trim from an S600 with a concealed tray, all of which were missing.
  5. I hoped the air con was just a top up, but no such luck. Have found a decent compressor/ switch so should fix it.
  6. Diagnostics at a friendly indie were good news, with nothing major on the list, all now cleared.
  7. Gave the interior a good clean/ refurb, and it smells quite leathery now. The backplate on the driver's headrest is loose, so I need to look at that.
  8. Viseeo Bluetooth module arrived, installed, and all working well - hands free sound is very clear at both ends, full phonebook, and call lists.
  9. Need some replacement wheel switches as the previous owner had nails like a tiger.
I'm away next week in the SL, so the fitting of the stuff will have to wait until I get back.

Anyone changed a number plate bulb? Looks like a lot of trims to remove.

The CD player looks dead, which I'm not going to lose much sleep about. It's got an AUX lead in the glove box, so I may rig up an iPod feed at some time, but too busy listening to the exhaust (you're all going to get fed up with me going on about it!).

I'm embarrassed to admit to 24mpg on a run yesterday as I don't trust the existing tyres, so kept the cruise control at 70 to xx (possibly a bit more). I'll get it down to 18 or so, I promise.

I'll post some updated pics in a couple of weeks.

Any advice welcome.

Mike

I have the Michelin PS4s on my CL, they are great. You will want them on the SL when the time comes.

I spent a fair few months trying to find an S65 I liked but just couldn’t; I was very close to buying an S63 on a few occasions though but held my nerve..

Good luck in getting the car back to how it should be, they’re so much car for the money.:thumb:

Quick update:
  • The aircon now works, and is icy cold!!
  • The steering wheel switches replaced.
  • Wheels, tyres and brakes all done, now safe to drive. It is ****ing quick!
  • Replaced all of the AMG specific wheel nuts, which had been chewed by standard braces in the past. Added correct wrench to tool kit.
  • Replaced bottom front arms because of minor play.
  • The car rides really well, and sits level, but there's a slight patter over speed bumps, so plan to replace the struts - I said it would empty my wallet!
  • Slight tappet noise, but can only hear with the bonnet open, so going to buy earplugs. Replaced the oil and filter, trying Wynns, then another oil change and see if there's any difference, will decide later.
  • Polishing kit at the ready for when I have time - maybe next weekend if it's not so hot. Will update pics when it's a shiny thing!
Starting to love the car.

Slight tappet noise is quite common on the M156.

Head studs, tappets, valve buckets... nothing's ever easy, cheap or straight forward on the M156 hey.

Quick update:
  • The aircon now works, and is icy cold!!
  • The steering wheel switches replaced.
  • Wheels, tyres and brakes all done, now safe to drive. It is ****ing quick!
  • Replaced all of the AMG specific wheel nuts, which had been chewed by standard braces in the past. Added correct wrench to tool kit.
  • Replaced bottom front arms because of minor play.
  • The car rides really well, and sits level, but there's a slight patter over speed bumps, so plan to replace the struts - I said it would empty my wallet!
  • Slight tappet noise, but can only hear with the bonnet open, so going to buy earplugs. Replaced the oil and filter, trying Wynns, then another oil change and see if there's any difference, will decide later.
  • Polishing kit at the ready for when I have time - maybe next weekend if it's not so hot. Will update pics when it's a shiny thing!
Starting to love the car.
Well done for rectifying previous owners' neglect. A great car you have there - just short of another 4 cylinders really;)

Neither I or my wallet are convinced about replacing the struts, but I need to find the cause of the suspension issue.

As I said the struts appears to be working correctly, with no leaks.

Does anyone have experience of ball joint/ bushes on similar ABC set ups - where and how to look for faults?

I've seen an article about a rubber packer for the top strut mount, and comments on lower bushes/ ball joints, but initial checks haven't identified the problem.

Here are the possible culprits:
S63 Suspension_Page_1.jpg S63 Suspension_Page_2.jpg S63 Suspension_Page_4.jpgS63 Suspension_Page_3.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom