Anyone know what has replaced the Pirelli P Zero Rosso?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Londonscottish

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
E500 & Fiat 500
Hi, does anyone know what has replaced the Pirelli P Zero Rosso?

I popped into the local tyre place the other day to price up some new ones and the owner told me they'd been discontinued. Then my phone rang and I had to leg it so never found out what the replacement is.

Secondary questions are (a) has anyone tried the newer Pirellis on a 211 or similar and/or (b) does anyone have any suggestions for alternatives to Pirellis?

I had great difficulty getting hold of rosso last december for my C55. My local tyre depot ended up getting them over from Germany at a cost of £201 each.

I had great difficulty getting hold of rosso last december for my C55. My local tyre depot ended up getting them over from Germany at a cost of £201 each.

FWIW The manager at Wembley Tyres told me that they were no longer in production as they didn't meet the latest noise regs. I've been going there for 10 years and are usually on the ball.

Next time I'm there I'll ask him what he suggests as an alternative.

FWIW The manager at Wembley Tyres told me that they were no longer in production as they didn't meet the latest noise regs. I've been going there for 10 years and are usually on the ball.

Next time I'm there I'll ask him what he suggests as an alternative.

The noise regs changed in 2010. the next regs for noise come into force in 2015/16. .

The noise regs changed in 2010. the next regs for noise come into force in 2015/16. .

Thanks GP. I'll go back round and have a proper conversation and let you know what they said.

Just get Conti 3 or 5 they are brill

First prize - just dropped by the tyre place and that's what yer man said.

Some time back Pirelli used both the Rosso and Nero names to distinguish two different type of P Zero tyres. The Nero was designed for powerful vehicles and not necessary sports or super cars which the Rosso was aimed at.
I used Rossos for many years but found them noisy and tramlined when wearing out. I have Michelin PS3's now and they are much quieter and softer tyre. Perform well too in dry and wet :thumb:

A lot of people say that the P Zero Rosso was a terrible tyre.

The new performance Pirelli is just called the P Zero and I am buying a set on Saturday based on recent reviews / tests. I've never been a big fan of Pirelli so I hope they turn out as good as they say.

I just replaced all 4 tyres. Considered the conti 5's, but some very bad reviews out there re the wear rate. Needed them in a hurry, and it was those or the P Zero's, so I went for the Pirelli. Will buy my next set from Germany, keep them stored, and save about £200.

Bridgestone RE 050's I find very good in wet and dry

Had the RE050's on my last car, far far better than the RE040's they replaced. They are heavy tyres though so if you're looking to keep unsprung weight down, there are better choices.

The new performance Pirelli is just called the P Zero and I am buying a set on Saturday based on recent reviews / tests. I've never been a big fan of Pirelli so I hope they turn out as good as they say.

P Zero is not new its been around for a few years now.

They are heavy tyres though so if you're looking to keep unsprung weight down, there are better choices.

Do you mean strong sidewalls, or are you in your kitchen with some scales?

I used Rossos for many years but found them noisy and tramlined when wearing out. I have Michelin PS3's now and they are much quieter and softer tyre. Perform well too in dry and wet :thumb:

Thanks for the tip - my car has been tramlining annoyingly for the last 2-3,000 miles. Must be the fronts - which still have a few thousand miles left in them - grrrr.....

Resounding thumbs up in Evo this month.

P Zero is not new its been around for a few years now.

The name has been around for years but the tyre using that name is new.

I had some fitted yesterday but it is still a bit soon to have an opinion on how good or bad they are.

I have four Rossos and have just swapped front to rear as the fronts seemed well worn after only 11,000 miles. Doubt if there is much more than 2,000 miles of acceptable tread left in them. I too will be going for Michelin, either Latitude Tour or Diamaris, which have served me well on previous Mercs. Be interesting to see if the ride is quieter...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom