Anyone know where the crossovers are ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

peterchurch

Hi,
Im about to change my speakers. Most of the component speakers that I have found to date all include crossovers. I believe that my car already has crossovers fitted but I don't know where they are... anyone got a clue where to look?

Cheers,

Peter

Might be crossovers built in to the amp, or perhaps just components soldered directly to the speakers?

peterchurch said:
Hi,
Im about to change my speakers. Most of the component speakers that I have found to date all include crossovers. I believe that my car already has crossovers fitted but I don't know where they are... anyone got a clue where to look?

Cheers,

Peter

The head unit has its cross over circuit in the R230. Each speaker is limited to its range.

If you have the BOSE option then its limited to the power output stage. You can tap into the pre-amp if you want full-range signal.

I changed mine for a set that came with crossovers and had the same quandry, in the end I connected them in and just hid them in the door panel and everything worked fine.

Cheers :)
I think I will run "Fresh Wires" and connect amps/crossovers to then rather than guessing as the last thing I want to do is messup the existing kit :)

Regards,

Peter

peterchurch said:
Cheers :)
I think I will run "Fresh Wires" and connect amps/crossovers to then rather than guessing as the last thing I want to do is messup the existing kit :)

Regards,

Peter

A local installer did some tests on behalf of a client during an install. He said that some wire pairs were only half frequency directly from the HU. That is how I know.

miro said:
A local installer did some tests on behalf of a client during an install. He said that some wire pairs were only half frequency directly from the HU. That is how I know.
Cool, but I have a 129 that was bought without a radio installed so it has always had after market stereos fitted. My Alpine is not running any lowpass/highpass filters at the moment, and yet the three speaker components are performing correctly. Which leads me to think that there is a box of tricks at work. My first thought would be as scott suggests caps on the speakers but I could not see any when I had the drivers door off last month...
Another SL owner suggested that there was an amp under the back seat that handled the crossover functions, However I am more inclined to believe that the box he was pointing me to, is the vacum pump :confused:

peterchurch said:
Cool, but I have a 129 that was bought without a radio installed so it has always had after market stereos fitted. My Alpine is not running any lowpass/highpass filters at the moment, and yet the three speaker components are performing correctly. Which leads me to think that there is a box of tricks at work. My first thought would be as scott suggests caps on the speakers but I could not see any when I had the drivers door off last month...
Another SL owner suggested that there was an amp under the back seat that handled the crossover functions, However I am more inclined to believe that the box he was pointing me to, is the vacum pump :confused:

I was only speaking of the R230. Wouldnt have a clue about the car you mentioned.

Hi Peter

In your running of wires, did you run any to the boot?? I need to run the speaker and the display for my parking sensors into the cabin but I cant find a route....any ideas.

Tan said:
Hi Peter

In your running of wires, did you run any to the boot?? I need to run the speaker and the display for my parking sensors into the cabin but I cant find a route....any ideas.

Yes I am going to be running wires from the boot :( I already have an old kewood changer wire going back there so my plan is to follow that up the car... I am just sourcing a nice cheap alpine amp from ebay at the moment though. I will post pictures when I start the job :)

peterchurch said:

I believe that cars specified from the factory with upgraded stereos (Bose?) had the amp under the back seats.

run fresh wires is your best option, this way you keep the existing setup for when you sell your car 9in the future!)

nickg said:
I believe that cars specified from the factory with upgraded stereos (Bose?) had the amp under the back seats.

I didnt think that the SL's of that era had bose and back seats? From the options list i remember it was one or the other ..

fuzzer said:
I didnt think that the SL's of that era had bose and back seats? From the options list i remember it was one or the other ..

Your spot on. If the car has Bose then the area where the rear seats would normally be is replaced by a housing that contains the sub, amp and two rear speakers. My car has Bose and rear seats. The previous owner ditched the sub and the housing to fit the rear seats. I have now obtained a Bose sub, but am so used to having the rear seats I just sit the sub on the seats and move it when the back seats are needed.

Regards

Tan

peterchurch said:
Amp sourced for £50 now sniffing for speakers :D Tan was the Bose system anygood ? :)

I am happy with it, sounds much better now that I have the sub. However, not having heard another urgraded system in an SL I have nothing to compare it with.

Hi,
I have found some stuff out (I got bored and took the car to bits :D )
the speakers are run from two separate places. The door tweeters are run directly of the Headunit and are capped. On the passenger side of the car under the carpet (under the seat) is a becker amp that runs the bigger speakers in the doors :) (I had assumed that the tweeter was causing the problems but it turns out to be the woofer. (I can run the tweeters full power with no distortion) and the front dash does not have any speakers in it (just the grills) I assume that they were there for the Bose system...

As for the route into the front of the car :) it is quite simple once you know how but quite a worry to put back afterwards. There are wire trunks running though both door sills that you can get to although you need to take the back trim out completely to run into the boot :) I got my amp today so I will plan the install and when I do it,I will take photos to show the way :D

grasmere said:
did you get a chance to install yet Peter?

Not yet :) the MAF packed up and since then I have been too busy to get on with it. I am also thinking about selling the SL at the moment...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom