Anyone organising the collection?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
interesting stats in this chart.

Note the distinct lack of reduction in deaths due to cameras since 1998.

_48502004_road_casualties2_464gr.gif

I quite agree, cameras have done a marvellous job in the reduction of death and injury haven't they?

The raw numbers are slightly more revealing (p119):

Deaths:
1994-1998:3578 (average/yr)
2002: 3431
2009: 2222

What proportion are linked to speed cameras I can't say.

The reduction could be due to any number of factors.

Over the 10 year period 1998-2008 cars have become FAR safer. Remember the Rover Metro which got a 1 star NCAP?

In 1998 hardly any cars had 4 stars, and IIRC none at all had 5. Now the vast majority have 4 or 5 stars.

Add to the mix advances in medical technology.

Speed cameras have always been a blunt tool.

snakeoil.jpg

There is a down side of course to the abolishment of the cameras and the safety partnership. There will no more courses offered in Wiltshire as an alternative to a fine. Still, as the Wiltshire Police still have to cut a further £3m from their spending even after this, I'd say there's a lot less chance of being caught.

Wiltshire is not the only county to be taking this course of action following cuts in their budgets from central government, I believe Oxfordshire isn't far behind and a few others. It's not a tough equation though once you realise that central government is handing you back less than the cost to run the things.

Once again proving beyond any doubt that all along it was merely to raise revenue and had nothing at all, whatsoever, ever, to do with road safety.

Meldrew: You could well be correct. I'm glad the debate has moved on from 'there have been no reduction in deaths since 1998'

Doesn't the M4 run right through Wiltshire?

Brilliant!

Must remember to slow down before Bristol.

I never liked the yellow boxes, they would have been better in a grey green.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom