Anyone out there with the new generation GLE (W167)?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DGAMG63S

Car
GLE53 BMW M850i Cab. Prev - C63S CLS63S GLE63S&550 SL500 SLK55 GLS S & E Class, R107 SL, CE 124
Hi. Are there any forum members who own or have experience of the new GLE? Interested in any real-world insights you may have. Thanks, David

Hi. Are there any forum members who own or have experience of the new GLE? Interested in any real-world insights you may have. Thanks, David
Which engine do you have in mind?

Which engine do you have in mind?
I have in mind the 63S but that's only '21 availability. For now I guess either 450 or E53 but interested in the general experience people are having with the car, so any model really.

It's a limited range with sixes on higher models but a price that's up there with BMW's V8 4.4 in the X5 M50i.

I think only one colour inside on the new GLE63S - the standardisation of specs is pretty dumb by MB, but just my opinion.

My cousin got one recently and she’s always had MLs. It’s the petrol 450

Very refined and stunning tech inside. However, it’s bloody huge, she’s always had big cars but complains about this one - I did warn her.
Go drive a new SQ7, you’ll be surprised trust me. We are a total Merc family but this thing is amazing.

Very refined and stunning tech inside. However, it’s bloody huge, she’s always had big cars but complains about this one - I did warn her.
Go drive a new SQ7, you’ll be surprised trust me. We are a total Merc family but this thing is amazing.
Nice feedback, thankyou. SQ7 is diesel so not ideal but wouldn't rule it out.

I have in mind the 63S but that's only '21 availability. For now I guess either 450 or E53 but interested in the general experience people are having with the car, so any model really.

It's a limited range with sixes on higher models but a price that's up there with BMW's V8 4.4 in the X5 M50i.

I think only one colour inside on the new GLE63S - the standardisation of specs is pretty dumb by MB, but just my opinion.
Nice choice. Yes the interior colour choice on the GLE63S is very limited, especially for a top end model.

I haven’t had chance to drive one yet, but I suspect it will be good, and really ought to sort that out.

If an E53 is an option then perhaps the E63S could bridge the gap between the E53 and GLE63S?

Nice choice. Yes the interior colour choice on the GLE63S is very limited, especially for a top end model.

I haven’t had chance to drive one yet, but I suspect it will be good, and really ought to sort that out.

If an E53 is an option then perhaps the E63S could bridge the gap between the E53 and GLE63S?
Possible, but my wife is a big SUV fan, so I think the E63S may not be to her taste. I actually quite like the E63 and thought it was a step on from my CLS63S in performance.

The option issue is an MB UK strategy. Better if we were in Germany!

Possible, but my wife is a big SUV fan, so I think the E63S may not be to her taste. I actually quite like the E63 and thought it was a step on from my CLS63S in performance.

The option issue is an MB UK strategy. Better if we were in Germany!
My wife has a thing for AMG SUVs and so once they’re available to try then we will. Normally we wouldn’t bother viewing/driving but the G 63 is a genuine alternative for serious use now, so we’ll try both back to back.

If we go for the GLE then we’ll seriously consider visiting the Centre of Excellence to go for the interior we really want - they do what the Performance Studio used to do in Affalterbach now.

My wife has a thing for AMG SUVs and so once they’re available to try then we will. Normally we wouldn’t bother viewing/driving but the G 63 is a genuine alternative for serious use now, so we’ll try both back to back.

If we go for the GLE then we’ll seriously consider visiting the Centre of Excellence to go for the interior we really want - they do what the Performance Studio used to do in Affalterbach now.
Where is the Centre of Excellence located? I'm familiar with the option possibilities through Affalterbach but not CoE (that's what happens if you buy a BMW!).

Where is the Centre of Excellence located? I'm familiar with the option possibilities through Affalterbach but not CoE (that's what happens if you buy a BMW!).
Sindelfingen, although I’ve not been yet I can’t imagine they would take a step backwards from the Performance Studio.

I dare say it won’t be possible to walk around the workshop though - I really like that about the Performance Studio.

I haven't driven the new 4.0 63G. My wife is actually a big fan of the car. Have you tried it (again, a V8 G500 would be a good sweet spot in the range)?

Sindelfingen, although I’ve not been yet I can’t imagine they would take a step backwards from the Performance Studio.

I dare say it won’t be possible to walk around the workshop though - I really like that about the Performance Studio.
Thanks, I'll keep an eye on that (when we can travel again!).

I haven't driven the new 4.0 63G. My wife is actually a big fan of the car. Have you tried it (again, a V8 G500 would be a good sweet spot in the range)?
We’ll be trying the two back to back as soon as we’re able. The previous generation was a great experience - and we’d have loved one - but long distances weren’t it’s strong point.

Yes, I see where you’re coming from with the G500 - it would have more than enough performance - although I don’t think we’d go for it when it came down to it.

We’ll be trying the two back to back as soon as we’re able. The previous generation was a great experience - and we’d have loved one - but long distances weren’t it’s strong point.

Yes, I see where you’re coming from with the G500 - it would have more than enough performance - although I don’t think we’d go for it when it came down to it.
And I see why you'd say that, as well :)

I love the fact I said “we would go for it”, as if I would have any say in the decision 😁
Ah yes, been there on stuff like that, but I am expected to come up with the right choices for a final decision. Basically I get to do all the leg work but I couldn't say it's a hardship! I do like a project, even non-MB ones.

The limited choices offered by MBUK might be well intentioned, if not poorly executed. People can 'fail' when faced with a lot of options and walk away and make an easier choice from a more limited selection.

I heard an example recently of some research that has been done in supermarkets (how this applies to spanking mega-Mercs I can't say). I don't have the exact details due to slightly flakey recollection, but the premise is something like this:
If you put 24 jam flavours on offer on the power aisle, you sell 20% more jam. If you put 6 jam flavours out, then you sell 30% more jam. This effect has been studied in detail and the psychology behind it is that people struggle to make decisions with lots of options and therefore sales are not maximised (i.e. there is a risk they go somewhere else).

But studies on low value fruit preserves aside, I agree it's crazy that they won't offer more options, especially on the high end of the range. I can understanding it on the C180 poverty rep spec with appropriate VED compliance to attract fleet buyers, but restricting options on anything with more than 4 cylinders is a mistake IMO.

The limited choices offered by MBUK might be well intentioned, if not poorly executed. People can 'fail' when faced with a lot of options and walk away and make an easier choice from a more limited selection.

I heard an example recently of some research that has been done in supermarkets (how this applies to spanking mega-Mercs I can't say). I don't have the exact details due to slightly flakey recollection, but the premise is something like this:
If you put 24 jam flavours on offer on the power aisle, you sell 20% more jam. If you put 6 jam flavours out, then you sell 30% more jam. This effect has been studied in detail and the psychology behind it is that people struggle to make decisions with lots of options and therefore sales are not maximised (i.e. there is a risk they go somewhere else).

But studies on low value fruit preserves aside, I agree it's crazy that they won't offer more options, especially on the high end of the range. I can understanding it on the C180 poverty rep spec with appropriate VED compliance to attract fleet buyers, but restricting options on anything with more than 4 cylinders is a mistake IMO.
i think it's a way of MB UK minimising their stock risk and limiting the exposure to what they take from MB. It's also easier to figure out the PCP's (IMO) if you don't have someone going off-piste with the options, plus it's a profit maximisation issue (again, IMO) to sell everything in packages. I guess also the downstream sales (second or third owner) is better if it's a safe spec. Personally I've never bought a car based on whether the third owner (who I'll never meet) will like it, but maybe that's why I'm not in marketing.

With great regret I pulled the purchase of a new SL this year and went for a BMW for exactly this reason.

My mistake on my earlier reply. I see that the SQ7 and SQ8 have dropped diesel in favour of the 4.0 V8 TSFi petrol. Interesting move. Is this the model you have or the previous diesel?

My mistake on my earlier reply. I see that the SQ7 and SQ8 have dropped diesel in favour of the 4.0 V8 TSFi petrol. Interesting move. Is this the model you have or the previous diesel?
Ours is the diesel. 450 brake and 900 NM. It’s really refined and has mega poke around town , at lower speeds and also it hits 100 blistering quickly. This compared to my uncles new cayenne turbo which needs you to be at 4500 rpm before anything happens.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom