Anyone recommend a nice decent/upmarket italian resteraunt in Birmingham?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Donza

Taking the missus out for her bday this Sunday.

Since She now lives in Derby, and i in Leeds. We have decided on eating out in Bham for the first time.

I am thinking City Centre, romantic setting. Nothing to wallet-busting though. :eek:

Last edited:
Strada have 2 restauarants here - one in the Mailbox and one within the ICC - go for the Mailbox one. Always reliable and good and not silly money (by UK standards). Very close to the Gas Street Basin canal network which is very nice now (you should have seen it 20 years ago). You cannot book a table (must be 4 or more) so get there for 7.30 latest to be certain.

there is also Del Villagio on Broad Street (attached to the Jurys Inn hotel). Service can be hit and miss-food good but expensive.

San Carlo in temple street (IIRC) is always good, though price reflects this. Tables can be bit close together for my fancy though. Seafood here very nice.

failling that there is always McDonalds:D

p.s. is it lunch or evening that you want to eat? Just check opening times for them all on a sunday lunch if thats the case!

Last edited:
Completely forgot a restuarant called Cielo in Brindley place..very good but is pricey.

Completely forgot a restuarant called Cielo in Brindley place..very good but is pricey.

Cheers for the heads up. I have been looking at some of the reviews on the Net. Whats your opinion on Bank?

Never been there..

I'm looking to be there at around 7ish. And i would like to pre-book if possible.

Thanks Again

Bank...personally I would not bother. food good but did not like the "look at me"ness of it all.

Cielo is by the far the best - food, atmosphere and service are all top notch in my opinion.

Bank - I think is pretentious and lacks atmosphere, and the food is no where near as good as Cielo (or Strada), probably also more French orientated too.

If I were to put the suggestions in order, for what it's worth here's my view....

Cielo
Strada
San Carlo
Del Villagio (cafe esq) but nice.

Bank

Where ever you end up, hope you have a great evening!

Bank - I think is pretentious and lacks atmosphere, and the food is no where near as good as Cielo (or Strada), probably also more French orientated too.

Glad you said that...I checked the website and thought it displayed all the things I hate about some restaurants.....huge menu...."discretionary" service charge....extra charges (very extra!) for veg...all fur coat and no potatoes as far as I could see. Brum is not my stomping ground and the only meal I've eaten there was at the Malmaison. Very average. Probably best off with a curry.

Last edited:
Probably best off with a curry.

Oh, yes.
Ladypool Road foar a proper Ruby.

So where did you end up - Woodall Services:D

So where did you end up - Woodall Services:D

Good Morning!

Went to Cielo.

Was a great experience. She loved it and we could at least hear ourselves speak. Moreover, tables were not close to eachother like other places, so it seemed a lot more like it was just 'us'..

Total cost of meal was around £70. So not bad. Nerither of us drank wine. She does not drink, and i was driving.

Many thanks for the recommendation

Sorry I was away when you posted this. Glad you found somewhere. In case you go again, here are some other thoughts...

You can't go wrong for dinner in Birmingham. If you head to any of the following areas you'll find a selection of nice places to eat:

Colmore Row, Temple Row, Newhall Street area
St Paul's Square area
Mailbox

We really like Bank - it's not that bad, but I understand why it attracts the comments above. Parking right next door, and several places to go for a drink nearby. The Prix Fixe menu is a bargain for the quality of food, although only an option if before 7pm.

Bar Estilo (opposite Strada in Mailbox) used to be our favourite, but it fell out of favour with me when the steak went up £2 following a refurb!! Parking on-site with what used to be a good valet, but the bars are rubbish nearby.

Shogun (Japanese) in Mailbox is good for similar reasons.

Only one good place for eating early in Bimingham. Go to Cafe Gusto (also Mailbox) for breakfast. Niiiice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom