Anyone recommend an OBD2 plug?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cherub

Car
E50 AMG
Hi,

hoping to buy an R230 SL in the coming weeks and would like to buy an OBD plug and some software to check for fault codes and if possible to see if the mileage is genuine?

can anyone recommend a set up for a computer numpty? I don’t need anything fancy.

cheers

Use one of the many apps like vehicle smart. If you have the reg . It will show every mot with mileage.

Cheers gents I’ll check out the icarsoft!

I’m aware of the MOT history check but wanted to know if the car keeps a log internally that you can’t overwrite that may be different to the displayed mileage, had a mate years ago tell me about when he was looking at 996 turbos he could see the internal mileage and running hours and compare them to the odometer.
Is there a sub menu you could access to see this info?

Cheers gents I’ll check out the icarsoft!

I’m aware of the MOT history check but wanted to know if the car keeps a log internally that you can’t overwrite that may be different to the displayed mileage, had a mate years ago tell me about when he was looking at 996 turbos he could see the internal mileage and running hours and compare them to the odometer.
Is there a sub menu you could access to see this info?

I believe there are a few modules on a Mercedes where the mileage is stored.
Someone competent with Star diagnostics should be able to interrogate the system and find out.

I can't say for other models, but on the W164 diesel if you check the DPF condition - ash, soot content, etc. - the total distance covered from new, in Km, is in there somewhere. I found it by accident, while using my iCarsoft MB II.

Probably the best thing for you is to check the MOT history, use the online checks, then look at the car, especially the inside, look at the drivers seat bolster nearest the door, how much wear is on it? Does it look right for the specified milage? look at the brake pedal, there will usually be a bit of wear on one side (Depends on if the car is manual or automatic, and if the other drivers used left foot or right foot braking).
If the reported milage looks about right for the car, then worry over, if the drivers seat is worn with holes in, and the brake pedal rubber is worn down to the metal, but the clock says 50000 miles, then walk away.
As far as the OBD reader is concerned, then just buy a basic one from Amazon (Not Halfords, they are expensive at £65), they have the Autel Maxiscan MS300 up for £17.99 at the moment, and if you are a Prime customer, you can get it next day delivery.
I dont know what the Maxiscan is like, but I have the Autel Maxidas and its pretty good (I would have prefered a STAR, but I have a Land Rover as well as the S55, and the Maxidas runs on that as well).
Its a good idea to own a reader whatever Mercedes you own after 1998 (?), but be careful if you go for anything more than basic, its possible to mess your car up really well with some of them.

To update this I received a reply from icarsoft saying it won’t show me the mileage recorded on the various modules, they think the only way to do that would be via STAR and even then if you really know what you are doing and are devious you can change them. Thanks for the advise gents, to summarise I think it’s a combination of everything that has been discussed and if it feels right, it’s a buyers market right now so if it doesn’t add up, walk away!

With diagnostic readers you really get what you pay for, anything under £100 won’t cut the mustard. Anything significantly higher than that is in Star territory or workshop grade scanning

The icarsoft products many of us on the forum have them, and you won’t get a better product for the price or lower

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom