Anyone register their own design/idea/Patent?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

esox

Anyone ever got a patent or registered a design for their own invention?

Whats the difference between the two?

Whats the procedure?

Whats the cost?

What what?

PM me your idea and I will have a look into the prices for you. ;)

as far as I know a patent registers the idea to you and a copy can be found to an infringment of that, a registered design registers your specific design to you, comebody could copy it, change it slightly and make it a new design?

the patents office is long and drawn out and can take years depending on the complexity of your idea, the design register can be done online and takes minutes, you upload your data then its registered, costs about £30,

this is of course my take on it and is something I have not played with for years...

I might need a patent.

good luck............bet when you check its already there

Not worths the bother. I had a number and gave the ownership to the company I worked for.

A minefield.

If you believe you can make tons of money go ahead. Know a guy who patented Ryvita.

My advice, use a patent attorney, unless you really know what you are doing. There is an initial cost, depending on the level of work, usually a few grand and then an annual renewal fee. Our patent runs out next year on its 20th birthday.

The easiest and cheapest way to check if someone else has already had the idea is a trip to the British Library in London where all the patents are stored.

If you then discover you have a life changing idea that no one else has employ a good patent lawyer.

Hmmmm...

Anyone want to buy a prototype underwater shower curtain?

:p

Just patenting in UK is not enough. the big market is the USA and there they are far more patent aware, far more ready to patent and far more aggresive in defending their patents. If you had patent rights in UK and decided to market your product in the USA, where someone else may have patented it, you might be taken to the cleaners.
Remember too in the USA you can patent a business process so, even if you don't need to patent something here ,you might be surprised to find that you can in the USA and not only that it has been and you are in infringement.
Ther is another route the World Intellectual Property Organistaion
http://www.wipo.int/portal/index.html.en where you can patent worldwide.
There is a certain technique to wording and applying for a patent and you should go to a professional.
Most patents are taken out by individuals supported by their very big employer.

Patent when translated into Chinese is the same word for "anything goes".

But honestly. more money was made by companies who dont hold patents. Such as 3M who just knocked out ideas one after the other.

If it can be made easily and solves a simple problem the best thing is to get it out onto the market and use a venture capital company. Better to have 10 ideas and get 10% than to have 1 idea and struggle with 100%.

Once a person becomes an inventor the ideas come often and more easily. My personal opinion of patents is that they are the reason why nothing has been done about society and its technical problems. Somehow we fell short of all those great aspirations as a society and became involved with who owned what.

Patents should be liqidated and every idea that gets used should have a fixed income. Otherwise we may never see the benefits at all.

Last edited:
Patent when translated into Chinese is the same word for "anything goes".

But honestly. more money was made by companies who dont hold patents. Such as 3M who just knocked out ideas one after the other.

If it can be made easily and solves a simple problem the best thing is to get it out onto the market and use a venture capital company. Better to have 10 ideas and get 10% than to have 1 idea and struggle with 100%.

Once a person becomes an inventor the ideas come often and more easily. My personal opinion of patents is that they are the reason why nothing has been done about society and its technical problems. Somehow we fell short of all those great aspirations as a society and became involved with who owned what.

Patents should be liqidated and every idea that gets used should have a fixed income. Otherwise we may never see the benefits at all.
Agree. Patenting diverts time, talent and attention that could be spent on development and marketing. It provides big fees for the legal market, either up front or post production in the claims area that are nothing more than a tax on true endeavour.

Agree. Patenting diverts time, talent and attention that could be spent on development and marketing. It provides big fees for the legal market, either up front or post production in the claims area that are nothing more than a tax on true endeavour.

I would rather have 1% of 50 products than 100% of 1 product. At least I know that for my 1% I will never have to fill in any forms or sign anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom