Anyone regret selling their C63?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Liam29

Car
2012 C63
With winter round the corner i'm thinking it might be a good idea to sell up and look at getting a fl RS3. Now every time i drive it, i can't help but love it, there's something about that V8, it's so addictive i end up holding back creating an advert.
How many of you have regretted selling up or will this be the right decision and an RS3 will be a better car??

If you are not 100% on selling, and are only selling because of Winter, don't. You will have plenty of time to regret later...

Can you not get around it another way (e.g. fit winter tyres, buy a second capable cheapy car etc.)?

It's your call whether the RS3 will be better but unless it is on winter tyres, it will potentially also be crap in the winter too.

^as he says, buy winters..... I've had a few (remapped) 535ds over the years with winters and they are unstoppable.

I in fact embarrassed a few seasoned 4x4s on summer tyres on a closed Aviemore approach road.

Sent from my SM-N9600 using Tapatalk

I would prefer to get a cheap daily (something like 2005 civic type r?) stick some winter tyres on, and park the C63 in my warm garage over the winter. Not really keen on driving it over the winter really...
Lennox, as much as a 535d is appealing, i just can't get my head around spending £7k+ for a cheap runabout through winter.

I do have an itch for an RS3 and might test drive one to see what they are like, would be good to hear if anyone here has driven one. I know they will be very different to the C63 but iv heard they are very capable cars.

I do have an itch for an RS3 and might test drive one to see what they are like, would be good to hear if anyone here has driven one. I know they will be very different to the C63 but iv heard they are very capable cars.
I would prefer to get a cheap daily (something like 2005 civic type r?) stick some winter tyres on, and park the C63 in my warm garage over the winter. Not really keen on driving it over the winter really...
Lennox, as much as a 535d is appealing, i just can't get my head around spending £7k+ for a cheap runabout through winter.
Wasn't my point...... The point was to be clear buy a set of winters....... Continental ts860s if you can.... Almost a year round tyre.

Sent from my SM-N9600 using Tapatalk

With winter round the corner i'm thinking it might be a good idea to sell up and look at getting a fl RS3. Now every time i drive it, i can't help but love it, there's something about that V8, it's so addictive i end up holding back creating an advert.
How many of you have regretted selling up or will this be the right decision and an RS3 will be a better car??
As suggested your C63 will be just fine in Winter if equipped with the right tyres. C63 deserves better than to be a fair weather garage queen, it deserves to be driven and enjoyed, whenever, whereever, and for any and every reason.

I used my C63 right through last winter and it bloody snowed pretty well.

Get some winters on it and it'll be fine.

I've got winter tyres for 18 inch wheels if interested. Used it on my SLK and C63 in past. Now they are redundant in my garage.

You guys are brave driving your C63 in the winter, snow tyres or not! What worries me is other people on the road...
I will call Mercedes this afternoon and ask them if they can supply and fit Continental TS860 to my 19's and take it from there.
Maybe even get a winter protection detail on it too before the temps drop.

You could always go THIS ROUTE and keep the C Class for the nicer days...

Other winter sheds are available. :D

I've always had some form of 4x4 for the poor weather, including Range Rover, Jeep and Subaru, though not sure I have the best at the moment.

You guys are brave driving your C63 in the winter, snow tyres or not! What worries me is other people on the road...
I will call Mercedes this afternoon and ask them if they can supply and fit Continental TS860 to my 19's and take it from there.
I'm sure you can get tyres cheaper outside of dealer's network.

For what it’s worth I’ve got my E63 running on winter tyres at the moment (spare set whilst I get my wheels refurbed) - have just returned from a good 700+ mile round trip and it is very well mannered even in current conditions so no real downside of trying them.

At the end of the day it’s a C-class not some exotic/fragile/classic etc - just use it through the winter and treat it to a second set of tyres for the bad weather if you feel the need (I’ve never bothered before) and perhaps a good detail again come the spring :)

I've stayed well away from the 63 engine as it has well documented problems - personally I'd offload it before you become another statistic!

I've stayed well away from the 63 engine as it has well documented problems - personally I'd offload it before you become another statistic!

Before we go into that one. Yes some do have problems with the head bolts and it is known issue. However let me point out that people that have no problems, I would guess the majority, don’t tend to come on the forum and post about how their car is performing flawlessly day in day out.

I've had 3 cars with the M156 engine 2007 E63, 2009 C63 and Facelift 2011 C63, did plenty miles in all and never had a problem.

The 2011 Facelift C63 was amazing and I'd buy another tomorrow.

The headbolt issue was sorted in 2011 there is a list somewhere with engine numbers etc

OP, you live in Surrey not Alaska. bang some winter tyres on it and drive it. By the way WTF is a 'winter protection detail ?' :dk:

In Alaska, most people know how to drive in winter ;-) However this year there was huge pile up on the main road in Fairbanks while I was there. And conditions there could be treacherous. Here's town center with ice under the frozen snow, watching people turn on some junctions is interesting. Sorry, couldn't help myself, I enjoying trips to Alaska.
IMG_9163.JPG

I understand why someone is afraid of other drivers during snowfall in UK, lack of winter tyres and skills could be dangerous to other drivers.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom