Anyone remapped their own car themselves?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

trillion

Car
320 cdi soon
I'm looking to do a 320CDI(when I get one) in either a C class or an E class though the E looks more likely as C320cdi estates seem to be really rare at the amount of money I want to risk.:D (about£3k)
I know its a risk but with other cars I've done I haven't had any problems ;)
and its great fun and largely free!:D

How exactly are you remapping these yourself?

Here is what I'm able to read and write to with the equipment that I have.

Mercedes Klasse-E E320 3.0 CDI (W211) Bosch EDC16C31 K-Line/CAN
Mercedes Klasse-E E320 3.0 CDI (W211) Bosch EDC16CP31 K-Line/CAN
Mercedes Klasse-E E320 3.2 CDI (W211) Bosch EDC16C2/3/4 K-Line/CAN
Mercedes Klasse-E E320 3.2 CDI (W211) Bosch EDC16C31 K-Line/CAN
Mercedes Klasse-E E320 3.2 CDI (W211) Bosch EDC16CP31 K-Line/CAN

Mercedes Klasse-C C280 3.0 (W203) CDI Bosch EDC16CP31 K-Line/CAN
Mercedes Klasse-C C320 3.2 (W203) CDI Bosch EDC16C2/3/4 K-Line/CAN
Mercedes Klasse-C C320 3.0 (W203) CDI Bosch EDC16C31 K-Line/CAN
Mercedes Klasse-C C320 3.0 (W203) CDI Bosch EDC16CP31 K-Line/CAN

These are just the ECM's that are on the cars that I'm looking for for myself.
Now if the C320 or E320 come with other ECM's not listed above then I could come unstuck.:(

If your asking about procedure,I take a reading and send off to a guy I've used before to tune the file. I can then have two other options adjusted like DPF removal or MAF delete, or EGR delete for free.
Its here that I figured out that if I compare the files with theses adjustments added I can work out where they are and then in the future replicate them on other maps;)
I can then drop the whole file in some professional software that I have and it identifies the tuned parts of the map and I can literally copy and paste them across on to a completely different map from another same speced car.

So I'll be the first to admit I know little about all this but in the last few months I've had great fun finding out. I've tuned two cars(not mercs),mine and a friends and shone some light on a subject I never thought I would dabble with at my advanced years.
P.S. Not killed a car yet!:D:D

Id wouldn't want to tune any vehicle without Afr's being monitored, It may not cause a issue short term but may well in the long run.

That said if it only your car playing with why not ;)

I flashed a map to my wife's Seat Leon Cupra. This was a tried and tested map, so I had no issues with doing it.

It's been three years since the map was flashed and it's been great. However, I wouldn't do the same again, unless it was a map I knew had been well used and reliable.

Well my friend and I bought a professional map and then I set about working out how to replicate it.It took me 8hrs to figure out how to use the pro software I was given.So we did both our cars for the cost of one.
Its at this point we thought"what's next" and settled on getting a couple of Mercs to do the same thing to :D:D

I wouldn't other with any "one map fits all" after all that's what the stock map is. If your going to bother with a remap at the very least get one where they connect a laptop and drive the car, make some changes, monitor their effect on a drive etc or better still get one that is custom made on a dyno.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If your asking about procedure,I take a reading and send off to a guy I've used before to tune the file. I can then have two other options adjusted like DPF removal or MAF delete, or EGR delete for free.
Its here that I figured out that if I compare the files with theses adjustments added I can work out where they are and then in the future replicate them on other maps;)
I can then drop the whole file in some professional software that I have and it identifies the tuned parts of the map and I can literally copy and paste them across on to a completely different map from another same speced car

Hmmm....

so just to clarify...you're planning to copy a tried and tested map from somebody else and then offer it out to others in the same way, ie 'a box tune' like a lot of what most people use nowadays, or will you customise tunes for different set ups? If you just want to re-sell the same map, I'm sure there's a simpler way to do this, albeit by having to pay a small licence fee per sale.

For the record, I have fairly extensive knowledge on tuning cars esp vtec and vvt systems. If could afford the software/hardware, I'd love to tune my own E63 and work out what's wrong with it :wallbash:

Hmmm....

so just to clarify...you're planning to copy a tried and tested map from somebody else and then offer it out to others in the same way, ie 'a box tune' like a lot of what most people use nowadays, or will you customise tunes for different set ups? If you just want to re-sell the same map, I'm sure there's a simpler way to do this, albeit by having to pay a small licence fee per sale.

For the record, I have fairly extensive knowledge on tuning cars esp vtec and vvt systems. If could afford the software/hardware, I'd love to tune my own E63 and work out what's wrong with it :wallbash:

I don't know where you derived any of that from what I wrote!:D

No I'm not looking to sell anything or make any money,I'm retired.
I'm looking to do a cheap and then FREE remap for me and a mate of mine.
If anyone would like to come along with us on this journey and of course "Risk killing your ECM" then your welcome to the information that I can gather when I do it.
I'm still looking for a test vehicle right now though,so may be some time but its interesting stuff when I get going:D;)

This is the guide that I used to tune the other two cars which were in fact Rover 75's with the BMW diesel engine.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtjPtYYFF9k

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom