Anyone running an E300TD W210 on vegetable oil?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

IBIZA

Anyone tried it and at what ratios?

I've done about 20 000 miles on PSA IDI engines at 90-100% and wondered how the mercedes compared.

Alternately does anyone know a site where this car/engine's suitability is covered?

Running any diesel on veg oil can be a problem for proper atomisation when the engine is cold.
As a minimum you need a fuel pre heater and maybe an engine heater as well.

The 300td will run on veg oil but if the fuel doesn't properly burn it MAY cause caralamisation of the veg oil into the engine oil.
Long term that would be a bad thing.

Although it has to be said that the Mercedes indirect diesel is the most suitable unit to run on veg oil due to the pre chamber design and type of fuel pump used.

Thanks - I will pick one up tomorrow.

I have not bought one yet but currently have two citroens running on 100% soya oil, although I drop it to 90% oil and 10% petrol for winter, with an occasional SVO/biodiesel mix to clean the system. The tuned one can do over 200km/h on the clock.

I was interested in the Ssangyong Musso, as it uses an MB engine too and I have heard MB engines/in line pumps are good contenders for vegetable oil.

As basically I was looking for something for european touring an LHD would do too - and I saw from wikipedia that 4MATICs were availble for most Mercedes there - so that is an option too if the engine and pump are viable for my plans.

Would anyone happen to know if the G wagons had the 177BHP 3 litre engine too?

No they don't. The G Wagon uses the 2.9 direct engine like the Sang Yong and Sprinter.
Output is about 130Bhp iirc.

The 3.0 indirect OM 606 engine was only used in the cars because it was smoother than a direct engine.

Running any diesel on veg oil can be a problem for proper atomisation when the engine is cold.
As a minimum you need a fuel pre heater and maybe an engine heater as well.

The 300td will run on veg oil but if the fuel doesn't properly burn it MAY cause caralamisation of the veg oil into the engine oil.
Long term that would be a bad thing.

Although it has to be said that the Mercedes indirect diesel is the most suitable unit to run on veg oil due to the pre chamber design and type of fuel pump used.

I have done over 20 000 miles with PSA XUD (which are IDI) engines over the last two years. One had a problem with the thermostat which resulted in it taking a while to heat up - and the result was a slight amount of unburned vegetable oil went into the sump. The noticable effects were the sump level rose a tiny amount and after keeping running it to see what happened - at 8 thousand mile without a change the oil developed a slight stickiness to touch.

Normally I would never run a car for so long without an oil change, but I bought four cars to experiment on, and wanted to see what happened, and had engines to swap if I destroyed one.

I tried to mimic this by only running one with a good engine on short trips in the city, but the level never increased nor did the oil become sticky, so I guess with the PSU XUD its only a problem when the engine is not heating the coolant well.

This engine has a heated fuel filter with has a thermostat to cut off the heating once the engine is hot (so it only heats on the latter part of warm up), but I removed this specific fuel thermostat so the fuel was always heated by the coolant.

All engines retained standard injectors and glow plugs (although Bosch Duraterm are accepted as superior) - but as long as the originals are working - I had no plan to replace them.

No they don't. The G Wagon uses the 2.9 direct engine like the Sang Yong and Sprinter.
Output is about 130Bhp iirc.

The 3.0 indirect OM 606 engine was only used in the cars because it was smoother than a direct engine.

The original Ssang Yongs were made prior to the DI engine, and a guy in my gym had one in 1997 before the DI CDIs were introduced, and I am fairly sure in their advertising from day one they stated Mercedes engines.

Without checking I would guess the original Mercedes CDIs appeared in cars about 99/2000.

The original DI engine was in the Rover Maestro/Montego and had been rejected by all car (but not van) manufacturers due to the noise they made - but the first one in a montego made it capable of both 100MPH and 100MPG (but not at the same time).

So was the G wagon a CDI/DI before the cars then?

The original Ssang Yongs were made prior to the DI engine, and a guy in my gym had one in 1997 before the DI CDIs were introduced, and I am fairly sure in their advertising from day one they stated Mercedes engines.

Without checking I would guess the original Mercedes CDIs appeared in cars about 99/2000.

The original DI engine was in the Rover Maestro/Montego and had been rejected by all car (but not van) manufacturers due to the noise they made - but the first one in a montego made it capable of both 100MPH and 100MPG (but not at the same time).

The old G-wagens I knew had the old 300 engine, this was the 5 cylinder indirect injection (normally aspirated) lump. Slow but reliable...

Last edited:

As above they used a 3.0 litre 5 cylinder but then a 2.9 L five direct. This was before the CDi engines were made and was fed by a standard IP.

I used to run my old ZX 1.9d XUD on Vveg oil for a while, the trouble was that I would get so hungry from the constant smell of fry up's I was spending all the money saved on diesel eating!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom