Anyone seen any good number plates on cars lately?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Shhhh.. you are not supposed to be reading this thread Plodd... ;)

At least mine is in the correct font, size etc etc, just moved over one space. merc enthusiasts the world over will know it...

But yes - i read plates often and they seem to amke some sort of word, S1KRY (spaced S1KRY not S1 KRY)- whats that? sickly with a japanese accent? (made that one up, but you get the point)

Hey Ho. And no telling, Plodd... ;)

glojo said:
Hi John,
Out of curiosity I typed CRA 1G into the RAC facility and it had no record of this registration number. When I typed it into Directline however, it came up with a Porsche Carerra Coupe.

The reason I mention this is because I spent a number of hours searching the RAC link on Shude’s behalf looking for the hit and run Toyota. There were quite literally dozens of unallocated numbers which I just dismissed!!! After last nights experience I now have my doubts on the accuracy of the RAC site.

I accept that registration numbers that have not been active for a set time will not perhaps appear, but I am 90% sure that I have regularly seen CRA 1G and if I am correct, it is not even a Porsche and has not been for a number of years. Sadly I do not get out very often (the last time being about 3 weeks ago) but I have asked ‘the boss’ to check at the owners house.

Weird

Regards,
John

You're right John, I've found the RAC site to be very inaccurate in the past using numbers/cars I own/have owned. The AA site was much more accurate but I'm not sure if it's still up and running. As an example, the RAC site told me that a number I have owned from new and has been on 3 cars was on a completely different car that I have never owned. This caused great panic and was enough to make me ring the DVLA to enquire whether something dodgy had gone on and they said they had no idea where the RAC had got that info from but it was wrong. They seemed to lag a year or so behind on numbers when I moved cars as well.

Just saw this on a Bentley Continental GT this afternoon:

13OLOX (BOLOX)
:rock:

Aswall said:
You're right John, I've found the RAC site to be very inaccurate in the past using numbers/cars I own/have owned. The AA site was much more accurate but I'm not sure if it's still up and running. As an example, the RAC site told me that a number I have owned from new and has been on 3 cars was on a completely different car that I have never owned. This caused great panic and was enough to make me ring the DVLA to enquire whether something dodgy had gone on and they said they had no idea where the RAC had got that info from but it was wrong. They seemed to lag a year or so behind on numbers when I moved cars as well.

I have a number of plates on retention - when checked on the RAC site, they show as no trace. My experience is that the RAC site IS updated fairly regularly (evidenced by checking the info on last owner change when I bought / sold a vehicle).

:rolleyes:

Swiss Toni said:
My experience is that the RAC site IS updated fairly regularly (evidenced by checking the info on last owner change when I bought / sold a vehicle).

Hi Toni,
I understand what you are saying but the RAC site is being caught out far to regularly (perhaps that is a bit to strong)

CRA1G is a perfect example, no trace with RAC but a Porsche Carerra Coupe on Directline. I have looked at a number of cars in Mercedes Enthusiast that show no trace with RAC, but again show up on Directline.

I accept what you say about the 'updating issue' but there are just to many 'No Traces' on RAC. It is a fun site to use, but it definitely must not be taken as 'Gospel'.

I enjoyed being able to participate in the search for the hit and run Toyaota, but now I feel that 'Shude' might have actually got the number right and we have somehow failed to locate it. Using the Directline site is very long winded and not really practicle for such an extended search.

I am not saying the RAC site is useless, I am merely saying it is not to be relied on.

I hate to confess that both our vehicles have 'sort of' treasured numbers, they are K8/K9 with our initials. They mean nothing to anyone apart from ourselves and were both purchased direct from DVLA. Neither are altered or adapted in the spacing and they stop the keeping up with those people that have to have new cars. Ours are 'K' reg :)

I have purchased K7 (again with his intials) for my son as a Christmas present, all I have to do now is find out how to do the transfer without actually going to the local office. (I cannot get out, and I want it as a surprise)

Bye for now,
John

Just Saw BAD 130Y (BAD BOY) on a black Ferrari in Kings Road (London).

glojo said:
Hi Toni,
I understand what you are saying but the RAC site is being caught out far to regularly (perhaps that is a bit to strong)

CRA1G is a perfect example, no trace with RAC but a Porsche Carerra Coupe on Directline. I have looked at a number of cars in Mercedes Enthusiast that show no trace with RAC, but again show up on Directline.

I accept what you say about the 'updating issue' but there are just to many 'No Traces' on RAC. It is a fun site to use, but it definitely must not be taken as 'Gospel'.

I enjoyed being able to participate in the search for the hit and run Toyaota, but now I feel that 'Shude' might have actually got the number right and we have somehow failed to locate it. Using the Directline site is very long winded and not really practicle for such an extended search.

I am not saying the RAC site is useless, I am merely saying it is not to be relied on.

For what it is worth, if the incident happened on private land (so the cops aren't too interested) then you have a genuine reason to require the details from the DVLA - contact you local Office for info.

I get on fairly well with my local Office - they are actually pretty helpful!!!

Cheers

Swiss

i used to see a plumbers van with the number
A 1 EAK

Just remembered another of our neighbours registration numbers.

W1 LHE
S1 LHE

We call them 'Silly' and 'Willy' No comment on whether it is apt. (one of them is a Subarau Impreza thingy)

Another neighbour has 11 JAG on his Jaguar, but it does not show up on the RAC page. I do know he puts a black screw between the 11 to make it look like H JAG, so I will send the wife out to confirm.

Unbelievably some of the houses are just week-end retreats so I might not get the update anytime soon.

John

I saw W 1GHT on a Austen Martin last week. Mr Wright perhaps.

Just seen today on the M6 nr Wolverhampton heading north a silvery blue S class with WE RIOT :D

Someone, somwhere has the numberplates I like:
H4 KER
H4 XOR

regtransfers.co.uk says the owners are willing to sell at 10 gran (this was 6 months ago)

pluggers said:
Just seen today on the M6 nr Wolverhampton heading north a silvery blue S class with WE RIOT :D

Hi Pluggers,
I am trying to make out what the picture is by your username??

What is it???

Regards,
A very confused John

glojo said:
Hi Pluggers,
I am trying to make out what the picture is by your username??

What is it???

Regards,
A very confused John

A desert rat?

Its chippy the attack gopher

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom