Anyone speak latin?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Benzowner

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Qashqai Acenta Premium 1.6Diesel
I am working with a local football team who needs a logo, and they have come up with "Generous in defeat, humble in victory" but for some reason they want it in Latin. Can anyone do a translate for me, I have tried search engine but I am very worried I will get the translation wrong and have something with a different meaning.

I'm rusty, but:

Probus in evinco, humilis in victoria

Both my parents happen to be Oxford classics scholars ... email sent to them! :D

Both my parents happen to be Oxford classics scholars ... email sent to them! :D

How to start a war.
Send seperate mails...see if you get the same reply...

Reminds me of the Eddie Izzard sketch...

"Yes, I speak Latin...but I keep it under control. 2 or 3 translations a week, never more"

However, I'm not sure how effective the first conjugation of "amo" is going to be at seeing of a pack of murderers at a petrol station at 3am :D

How about
Vini, Vedi,Vino

I came,i saw, i drank :bannana:
rob

How about this?

Nos venit , nos ludio ludius , nos kicked ass

We came, we played, we kicked ass:devil:

I'm rusty, but:

Probus in evinco, humilis in victoria

Correct, but now translate it back into English;)

Upright upon to conquer , lowly upon victory

I am working with a local football team who needs a logo, and they have come up with "Generous in defeat, humble in victory" but for some reason they want it in Latin. Can anyone do a translate for me, I have tried search engine but I am very worried I will get the translation wrong and have something with a different meaning.

Wife has a Latin degree (amongst others) I'll ask her.

I knew it would be useful one day and here it is!!!!

Correct, but now translate it back into English;)

Upright upon to conquer , lowly upon victory

Humilis is a very broad meaning word, its not only lowly, but its also humble... The problem with translating from latin is that there are too many words that mean more than one thing! This is where all the debates usually arise from!

On a side note, upright to conquer and lowly upon victory sounds alot like something that a roman would say on a saturday night :devil:

Michele

This is the problem, I don't want it to read "I like pork pies" or something even worse. Thanks guys:rock:

Here you go, my Dad says:
I would suggest :GENEROSE VICTUS, VINCENS MODESTE ("Generously when defeated, modestly when winning")

"Humilis" has connotations of meanness and pettiness, so would not be right for "humble".
My Mum is actually teaching a Latin class at the moment (she does private coaching at home), but Dad reckons she would agree!

Here you go, my Dad says:My Mum is actually teaching a Latin class at the moment (she does private coaching at home), but Dad reckons she would agree!

Two translations of Latin that agree? I'm VERY impressed! That said, I quite like that translation (I'm worthless at coming up with translations into latin, but I can get from Latin to english every now and then)

This is the problem, I don't want it to read "I like pork pies" or something even worse. Thanks guys:rock:
Shakespeare wrote that Caesar said "Et tu, Brute". If you tell this to just about any Italian student, they would recoil in horror!

Roughly translated, "Et tu, Brute" works out to "Yo, Brutus, wassup?" (its transliteration is "you too, Brutus?". Most Italian-based students would agree that "tu quoque, Brute, fili mi?" (or simply "tu quoque, fili mi?") is more historically accurate.

Funnily enough, some historians believe that neither of those are accurate, and Julius uttered his last words in Greek and not Latin...

So as you can see, debates on Latin translations aren't a new issue, the can of worms has been open since almost two millenia ;)

Michele

Last edited:
Yes but you could end up with
Generously we were beaten, Modeslty we beat them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom