Anyone switched to a Boxster, liking it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
some months ago a member on t'other side (littlebrooklyn) was contemplating changing their healey 3000 for a boxster, she got a lot of help
qed :)

Have you ever had the misfortune to see the female body builder competitions? They look like the photo above but with a "bra"!

And the person implying that PCGB is sexist - well, I'll treat that with the contempt it deserves!

I can't see where anyone has accused or implied PCGB are sexist. It has been implied a Boxster is girlie. That's not the same. :thumb:

+1. I too took that to mean the boxster is girlie. Not that I think it is unless it's powder blue.

The "girlie" criticism thing is ones of those daft prejudices that only hurts yourself. Just think how many blokes have dismissed the MX5 as girlie and denied themselves one of the best driving cars of recent years?

The Boxster S and 968 look like total bargains at the moment.

The "girlie" criticism thing is ones of those daft prejudices that only hurts yourself. Just think how many blokes have dismissed the MX5 as girlie and denied themselves one of the best driving cars of recent years?

The Boxster S and 968 look like total bargains at the moment.

I fully agree with this - I've twice had a Boxster for the day while my 968 was being serviced - sunny day, roof down, the grin stayed on my face for a week!

Manalishi, do you mean 968 (i.e. 944 S3) or 986 (i.e. Boxster series 1)? You'd get a decent 968 for £8k (although I'd want more for mine!), it's not only a fun drive, it's also very practical. We've done the Tesco run many times in the 968, you couldn't do that in a Boxster! Roof panel out and windows down, the 968 is close to a convertible - but a different drive to the 2.7 Boxsters I've driven!

Further to my earlier post books I have are:-
Porsche Boxster story - The entire development history. Paul Frere. ISBN 1 84425 009 1 published by Haynes.
Porsche Boxster and Cayman Ultimate Buyers Guide. Peter Morgan. ISBN 978 0 9549990 6 3 published by PMM Books www.pmmbooks.com

^^^^

I took that as proof the Boxter is girlie.

Yup, that's all I meant.

I have no doubt at all that the Boxster is an excellent drive, but it does have a bit of an 'image' (in common with nearly all small convertibles).

That wouldn't necessarily put me off buying one, but the push me/pull you looks would. The Cayman on the other hand looks great IMHO.

Unfortunately they aren't old enough/cheap enough yet.

Just why is the Cayman so more expensive than the Boxster. Usually you pay more for a convertible than a coupe. Weird.

Just why is the Cayman so more expensive than the Boxster. Usually you pay more for a convertible than a coupe. Weird.

That was answered on an episode of Top Gear.

The Cayman sits midway between the Boxter and the 911 on price, power, acceleration, and top speed. Almost like Porsche planned it that way. It (the Cayman) doesn't have a limited slip diff because if would be faster cross country than a 911 if it did, and that Just Wouldn't Do.

Ok. But the boxster now has the same engine as the Cayman 3.4. So now why is it still more expensive?

Yup, that's all I meant.

I have no doubt at all that the Boxster is an excellent drive, but it does have a bit of an 'image' (in common with nearly all small convertibles).

That wouldn't necessarily put me off buying one, but the push me/pull you looks would. The Cayman on the other hand looks great IMHO.

Actually I think the image prob with the Boxster is more down to the 'Porsche' image - other roadsters which could be argued as girlie or hairdressers cars such as MX-5 don't in my experience attract the same negativity as Boxsters - remember my mate who had one just before I bought my first one was appallingly cut up by a Vectra and ended up arguing with the driver at a set of lights who, red faced and full of hate just kept saying 'it's only a f*cking Boxster mate, sh*t car.... etc etc'. I had similarly ****y exchanges with people who just seem to see it and drive like morons to try and overtake/ undertake, race you etc - I just got tired of it in the end. They are great cars to drive and IMO the best of their breed, but some seem to take offence to them.

I'm at the moment looking for a Boxster , am after a 2.7 tip 987. The fellas on Boxa.net are a real helpful bunch. Not fussed what others think of them, I have driven one and the handling is amazing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom