Anyone tried selling an AMG recently?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BQF

Car
E55 AMG 2004
Thinking of letting of my 2004 E55, 70k miles. Any views on what it might be worth in the real world, away from the Parkers prices?

Is there a good market for older AMGs at the mo?

Thinking of letting of my 2004 E55, 70k miles. Any views on what it might be worth in the real world, away from the Parkers prices?

Is there a good market for older AMGs at the mo?

No. It will be worth what the price guides say, possibly less than Parkers, but Wisebuyers seems to be pretty accurate.
What do you mean "in the real world"?

Car valuation adjusted for 70,000 miles
Retail: £15,585

Private Good: £12,555
Private Average: £10,805
Private Poor: £8,945
Part Exchange: £11,735
Trade: £11,039

As a private sale for a good car, expect about £11k ish.

What do you mean "in the real world"?

The Parkers app on my phone reckons £13,205 for 'Private Good' at 70k miles.

In the real world, I hope I'd get £12,000 - but I'll never sell it for less than that.....certainly not £11,000

The Parkers app on my phone reckons £13,205 for 'Private Good' at 70k miles.

In the real world, I hope I'd get £12,000 - but I'll never sell it for less than that.....certainly not £11,000

Good luck with selling your car for a price you will be happy with,unfortunately for you used v8's & high petrol/inusance/road tax costs mean potential buyers are fewer than ever.

I think all the big engined stuff has taken a real hit recently.

No idea what my CLK55 is worth nowadays, for what I paid for it and the enjoyment I've had over the last two and a half years, I think I've had my money's worth though. It's been really reliable and cheap to run as well :cool:

The absolute most I can have lost is still way off the £50-55k it had lost before I bought it at 7 years old :thumb:

Funny how we all hate depreciation and expect out own cars to be worth more than they are, but most of us buy secondhand cars and enjoy them for much less than they cost new :eek:

I think all the big engined stuff has taken a real hit recently.

No idea what my CLK55 is worth nowadays, for what I paid for it and the enjoyment I've had over the last two and a half years, I think I've had my money's worth though. It's been really reliable and cheap to run as well :cool:

The absolute most I can have lost is still way off the £50-55k it had lost before I bought it at 7 years old :thumb:

Funny how we all hate depreciation and expect out own cars to be worth more than they are, but most of us buy secondhand cars and enjoy them for much less than they cost new :eek:

The big hit in depreciation is in the 1st 2-3 years(my current car was £67k new & lost £44k at 21/2 years old & 19,000 miles:eek:),with that in mind if you do relatively low annual mileage(as i do)you can get great value motoring from a big v8:D

A Good 2004 E55 AMG @ 70K should go for 12.5-13.5k, I think thats fair.

Have a look on Pistonheads and Autotrader.

A Good 2004 E55 AMG @ 70K should go for 12.5-13.5k, I think thats fair.

Have a look on Pistonheads and Autotrader.

Is that selling or asking prices?

Another recent thread had an E55 Estate on PH for £16.5k but sold for £12.5k, a substantial difference.

Is that selling or asking prices?

Another recent thread had an E55 Estate on PH for £16.5k but sold for £12.5k, a substantial difference.

Selling,

You pay for what you get, if it's in really good condition and service all up to date, etc.. then why not? I'd pay the extra ££ for a good example rather then finding the cheapest which will no doubt cost me more in the long run!

It's worth every penny, it's allot of car!

Selling,

You pay for what you get, if it's in really good condition and service all up to date, etc.. then why not? I'd pay the extra ££ for a good example rather then finding the cheapest which will cost me more in the long run!

It's worth every penny, it's allot of car!

I don't disagree, but the car in question was a very nice E55 estate.

How do you know the cars on PH and Autotrader are selling for the asking prices?

Lets be honest we probably all think are cars are worth more than we want to be told...

Its the price to change that matters. Not really what its worth / the overall deal / discount on 'other' car.

what are you swapping it for, you say you will never sell for less than 12K. Yes you will if you still own it after no takes :)

If you look at piston heads / ebay / autotrader you get a good idea what they are asking....but selling price could be quite different.

Does it have a Merc Warranty? FBMSH etc. As you know its a high performance car, big bills, likes its fuel and getting on for 10 years old. Market is limited for buyers plus winter probably not the best time to sell?

Good luck what ever you decide.

How do you know the cars on PH and Autotrader are selling for the asking prices?

I don't know if all are but I friend of mine sold his for 14K just over 3 months ago and that had done 67K miles but when you look at it you think it's done 20k it's very nice clean example, only lasted 2 days before somebody bought it.

but there is no doubt that big engined performance cars are getting hit badly now adays, considering these cars were 60-70K back in 2004.

People will want an excessive bargain with them at the moment,not the most practical car in the winter months, thirsty,high insurance etc,I'm just going to hold on to mine until I can afford an RS6.

Yer my e55 amg saloon top of the range low mileage £15.000

image-3906350415.jpg

I've not long sold my 2003 E500 Estate
icon_bigcry.gif
which I ended up getting the square root of naff all for. Absolute top spec machine with 90k on it and full MBSH. The sad fact are that there are only a few people who can afford to run big thirsty petrols at £6.20 a gallon:crazy: Most of them are the ones who would pay 70k plus for a new car and not bat an eyelid at the depreciation, the rest, well they're after a bargain in a big way.

Yep we are in diesel era sadly....
I love my V8's and will never swap it for anything smaller.
I don't get it.All of us work so hard,stress chasing for better 2morrow.For me at least I've got something which put smile on my face starting every day.Doesn't matter it's thirsty,insurance high.We live only once,one day will be gone and how did we enjoy it????We all deserve something from life

the way i see it,

18000 miles covered in last year

about 6k spent on fuel. According to the trip computer its like a day time wise driving every 500 miles.
So its 34 roughly days (24 Hours) in the car a year. for 6k. Thats along time.

If i did it in a diesel it would be around 3.5k, so ive saved 3k.

However the amount of time ive saved driving the s600 cannot be measured, neither can the fact ive enjoyed ever minute of it, so much more than in my e300 TD. One thing you cant buy is time.
Question is, is it worth 3k a year for extra time and luxury enjoyment, you bet it is.

In the time ive owned it its maybe lost 1k or so depreciation. Cost me about 10k in repairs, but hey ho. Nothing needs to be done to it.

2 new coilpacks,
2 new cats
1 new turbo
2 new abc valves front and rear
2 abc front struts
1 new abc pipe work at front
2 new pads and discs front.

im looking at abc pump yet to go, 2 rear struts and thats all that can go left to go wrong. fingers crossed.
Total cost driving for the year £17,000 and its around a pound a mile. Take out the bad luck holly molly everything going on it in space of 12months and it would be around 40p a mile which is less than a brand new c class diesel.

I pay over tripple that to the VAT man every few months so frig it cause in that time ive also seen the new w221 s600 go from 35k cheapest in the country to 20k. Depreciation is the biggest cost, until they get to the 10k luxo barge section where depreciation is the lowest cost and maintance and fuel. I agree with what someone said, i think some people buy these cars and dont maintain them and best thing to do is to check what tyres they've got on. If its got nixon f2000 super sport then chances are they will have scrimped everywhere on the car.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom