Anyone tried the new Pug 407?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

scotth_uk

MB Enthusiast
Car
Renault
I had to rent a car this evening for a trip to stoke tomorrow, and went down to see my good buddies at Avis. They usually upgrade me, but today they upgraded me from C to F class! Ahh the power of the BA Executive Club card when it isn't blue. ;-)

Anyway, I got out to the carpark and was presented with a beautiful black top spec Pug 407. What a car. It's absolute joy to drive, quiet, reasonably powerful and in my opinion rather attractive.

What do you guys and gals think of them?

what engine u got ? 2.0Hdi or petrol ? Nice car, quite comfy, shame about rear leg room and boot space though. Design was given priority over practicality.

Sorry but I just can't get my head around that front end !

It tries to be an Aston Martin but fails miserably, but in all fairness there's a bit of a price difference, so I suppose you have to tip your hat to them for at least trying. Unfortunatley I'm a bit biased when it comes to French cars though because I recently had a bad experience with a Citroen.

Which engine did you have diesel or petrol, I've heard the diesel engines are really quite good?

IIRC, the 407 has a very long front end? Something to do with a specially-designed squidgy passenger-safe type crumple zone!?! I think they had to move the radiator etc back and extend the bonnet/bumper to create it.

I regularly drive a '52 plate HDi 406 Estate. Peugeots have always had a very comfortable ride from what I have noticed. The HDi engine is superb too. Smooth, powerful and will always, always return 30mpg+ driven around in solid traffic around London. On a run, this extends to nearer 50!

One real problem that the 406 had was a very, very poor lock design. I wont go into any details on here other than the fact that it was broken into twice, on different doors, in different places, in exactly the same way! :( :devil: :crazy:

Hopefully they have changed this feature on the 407!

Cheers,

Will

i saw one of those closely this morning, i was following it upto some T,lights whilst waiting for them to change had a good look from behind (i was in my van) i think they forgot the mirrors when they designed it as they look like some bolt-on thing you would get from halfords just stuck to the door skin with a couple of self tappers proberbly,
and that gaping front end reminds me of the ray in "finding nemo"

Ummmm....Nice Wheels, as they may say on a certain Breakfast Radio show.

I kinda like the look of it, the big mouth grille kinda reminds me of an Audi. Not driven one though.

We've got quite a few of them at work and the drivers think they are great. They get a choice and many are swapping from Mondeos to 407. They get the 1.6HDI 110 and recon it's adequate, but obviously the 2.0HDi 136 will be a bit quicker.

It was great. 400 miles today, and returned it with a big smile. Didn't see what engine size it was, but I did fill it with petrol and it kept working. Used about 3/4 of a tank with my low-economy driving style.

Incredibly comfortable, great electronics and reasonable sound. Nice firm seat, great adjustable armrest, etc.

Boot looked massive to me, but I didn't have anything to test it out with.

It attracts looks like the Crossfire does. People constantly wanting a look at the front end.

I think it looks good :rock: especially in that dark metallic grey they do.

Not driven one but would have thought a decent engine size would make it a decent drive. The 207 hire car I had a few weeks ago was pathetic - engine was litereally screaming. Would expect much more from the 407. Glad you enjoyed ot Scott.

Always thought that they had a great design team at Peugeot, they have not yet made a car (in recent years) that I did not admire, not too outlandish like Renault or tin cannish like Citroen. Always had good engines.

gary

gary350 said:
Always thought that they had a great design team at Peugeot, they have not yet made a car (in recent years) that I did not admire, not too outlandish like Renault or tin cannish like Citroen. Always had good engines.

gary

Agreed...but, they do suffer from a lot of recalls! :eek:

Other than that, more interesting/fun than Ford/Vauxhall! :cool:

Will

Will said:
Agreed...but, they do suffer from a lot of recalls! :eek:
Plus if you watch watchdog on TV, apparently some peugeots like to burst into flames for no obvious reason... even while not running, stone-cold and sitting on the driveway!

Shude said:
Plus if you watch watchdog on TV, apparently some peugeots like to burst into flames for no obvious reason... even while not running, stone-cold and sitting on the driveway!

A couple of weeks ago I passed a brand new C Class estate parked under a bridge on the M4 with the front of the car (Windscreen to front bumper) black with fire burns, looked like it had been totaled, the police were having a good look.

gary
PS I did not say the cars were any good, just good designs and engines particulary the diesels.

Aswall said:
Will make a great second hand buy in a years time then - when they're worth £1500 :D

On ballance I think they lose less money than all of our cars. Don't forget nobody pays list price in the first place.

I think most cars in this category (eg Ford Mundane-o!, Vauxhall Vectra, Peugeot 406/407 etc) all depreciate hard from new!

I think Mondeos came out as the worst car in the country for value retention!

You would have to be mad to buy one new at full price!

Cheers,

Will

Will said:
I think most cars in this category (eg Ford Mundane-o!, Vauxhall Vectra, Peugeot 406/407 etc) all depreciate hard from new!
The most impressive depreciation comes from the bigger saloons, like the Citroen XM and Vauxhall Omega, you buy a car for £30k new and it's worth about 12k after a year. Those things are strictly for company cars only I think! ;)

Very, very impressive second-hand purchases.

A few years ago I was intertested in a certain car which at that time was about 80K I enquired about bringing one in from germany through an importer from Kent, he did not have the model I wanted but could sell me the top of the range in fact he wanted to sell me 8 of them for 92K each going rate then (5 years ago) was 110+K, this was beyond what I wanted to spend so I asked a friend in the business what to do he said the car I wanted was the worst in the business for losing money and I could expect to lose the price of a top Omega in a few months - the car was a mercedes. The saying is the bigger you are the harder you fall and that goes for cars as well. Pugs are cheap, value for money maybe.

Last edited:
gary350 said:
The saying is the bigger you are the harder you fall and that goes for cars as well. Pugs are cheap, value for money maybe.
Worked out as a percentage the MBs don't do so badly, I don't know if it still is but the car which depreciated less than any other used to be one of the CLK cabrios, was worth about 70% of it's original value after 3 years, where most cars LOSE 70% of their value in that time!

Shude said:

My wife used to work in a Peugeot dealership and as I was looking around for a car at the time I asked the workshop foreman what he thought of them. He advised me to take my money and run away, and not look back until I got to a dealer that sold cars from any other manufacturer!

He said they looked nice, so they sold well, but they were hell to own as there was always something going wrong and they were swamped with recalls and repairs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom