Anyone use online share dealing?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rose Chap

MB Enthusiast
Car
Lexus GS450h
As per the thread title. Can anyone recommend an online share dealing service?

I'd be trading fairly small amounts to start with so wouldn't want to be paying a fortune in fees for each transaction, and would like everything to be done online through a browser rather than using the phone.

I've no idea whether I have any skills in this area, so I'm going to put say £500 into this share dealing system and £500 in an ISA and see what I've done better with after 6 months.

I already have existing financial relationships with LloydsTSB, American Express, IF, and Cahoot if that helps.

All advice gratefully received.

RC

Last edited:
I trade fairly regularly through iii.co.uk
There are quite a few online trading companies and the trading cost is fairly similar for all. iii have been around for a while and it is all very intuitive to use. Transfering money from your bank a/c into your trading a/c is simple in both directions. The portfolio options allow you to run actual trading portfolios and dummy ones where you can play with and get experience trading imaginary money. :D

I take it you want an execution only service which online is all about. Try halifax, I rate their online banking highly and they are an efficient organisation.

If you want more detailed advice in the world of stocks and shares, use a stockbroker. They don't cost as much as you'd think

I use Barclays - if you trade on a regular basis - fees very very cheap and they have a price improver ...also if you trade once a quarter custodial fees are waived...

I used to use FIRST DIRECTon line share dealing it worked very well.
They also do it over the phone if you prefer.
They are a big company part of HSBC so as safe as you'll get.

Phil

I use TD Waterhouse. Its OK. Ive been using them for the last 10 years.

You can get real time quotes from them.

As per the thread title. Can anyone recommend an online share dealing service?

I'd be trading fairly small amounts to start with so wouldn't want to be paying a fortune in fees for each transaction, and would like everything to be done online through a browser rather than using the phone.

I've no idea whether I have any skills in this area, so I'm going to put say £500 into this share dealing system and £500 in an ISA and see what I've done better with after 6 months.

I already have existing financial relationships with LloydsTSB, American Express, IF, and Cahoot if that helps.

All advice gratefully received.RC

I've been online with 'The Share Centre' since about 2001.
It does exactly what you are looking for. Tel 01296 414141
I don't think you'd get much of an idea with £500. One poorly performing share might drop to £300 and you'd think share trading is a bad idea. On the other hand, start with a good performer and you'll be hooked on share trading like me.
My best trade? 34% profit on Billiton (my typical invest is £750 in any share - achieved in a couple of months). My worst? Marconi took me for its whole value.
Create your own spreadsheet and simply include the trading costs in your calculations. I figure on selling most stock if it exceeds 20% gain including dealing costs. I've then usually got something else lined up. It's all in mini share Isas.
Warning - the market is difficult at the moment but there are significant opportunities to buy cheaply.
On line trading takes seconds to buy/sell a stock once you've decided which.

Last edited:
I have used iii, T D Waterhouse and Etrade. I'd say iii pips it.
But these are the markets, while it is built on trust and confidence and the vast majority of people work hard to maintain standards there area few rogues who manage to make the Mafia look like the Vicar's tea party. You will hear all sorts of stories. Understand that there is no magic route, whatever you hear it has been tried and there are no safe strategies. Day trading and all that sort of thing is for mugs - just be suspicious of everything, probably starting with this.

Try the Halifax Sharebuilder account, you can put in a monthly amount & let it build up before buying shares when it suits, each trade costs only £5

Russ

Oh, you might want to learn to short at the moment. :devil:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom