Anyone used a debt collector ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nicko

Car
E300 Turbodiesel
Hiya,

My mother is owed about £5000 from a tennant who has not paid rent for over 12 months.For the last 2 weeks he has been promising to pay half of what is owed. I have offered to go and talk to this guy,but i think this might end in trouble.I am just looking for some advice really.Has anyone used a debt collector before or sold a debt onto someone else?

Is the debt collector still not going to have to go through the courts to get the money?
Your mum may as well go to through the claims court herself

Is the debt collector still not going to have to go through the courts to get the money?
Your mum may as well go to through the claims court herself

If this person is a persistant debtor who had had dealings with the county court in the past, they will just laugh at the county court balifs who are next to useless. You would just be throwing good money after bad. Also, if the tennant is being pursued for other debts, it will make recovery of your debt more difficult.

A debt collector can be a lot more persuasive, but can work out expensive.

Bets use the Courts, then if you win the case, the Court will provide the services of a Bailiff to collect the monies...that is providing he has assets...so suggest you check there is something to go for from the outset, otherwise throwing good money after bad...

*** says he's a debt collector in his profile.

He has no assets,maybe a tv,but he is in regular employment

He is in scotland though, and you are in lancs/ merseyside. Anyway you can Pm him and ask the details

You have to first get a judgment through the court. When he doesn't pay you have to pay again to have the judgment enforced, either through bailiff or attachment of earnings.
If the guy changes job & you have an attachment, it's back to court again for an attachment on his new job.
Last time I when through this it was empty promises from tenant, court judgments costing me money, never a penny received
Scroats like this know the system & how to avoid payment. In my case I discovered he moved on every year leaving about 6 months unpaid each time. Plenty of court judgments against him but no possessions of any value to seize, tried to avoid leaving a forwarding address each time, and changed low paid jobs frequently to avoid paying through earnings.

Is it a residential property? If so I think your options are probably more limited.

If a commercial property you will have lots of options.

Is it a residential property? If so I think your options are probably more limited.

If a commercial property you will have lots of options.
The ground floor is commercial,upstairs is residential.
Things are not looking too good at the moment for my mom.
She may have to cut her losses,but it just p.sses me off that someone has had her off(she's a pensioner).I think the court judgement is a waste of time.
Anyway,such is life

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom