• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Anyone used Alamo for hire cars in the US?

derektrotter

Car
MB
Hi All

We're planning a west coast road trip and have booked a car with Alamo via gotrentalcars, reviews seem decent enough.

I've heard quite a few horror stories of hire car companies and them claiming it was damaged upon return etc, I plan to take photos of the whole car to minimise risk and have purchased the excess waiver insurance from them too when booking, excess waiver was only £20 more then standalone policies from other providers so just went with it while booking so theres no messing with reclaiming in the event of a claim.

Have members here used Alamo without issues? Also I read the terms and conditions of the excess waiver insurance and it mentions damage to wheels etc but does not really mention bodywork damage, e.g. scrapes or scratches, are these generally covered when you purchase the insurance?

First time i've ever hired a car so just wanted to get some info and be prepared when I contact the hire company RE the insurance query above, its free cancellation so I can cancel if things are not quite right :)

I use Alamo probably 2/3 times a year, they are great, never a problem. (They are part of enterprise - companies merged a while back)

Get an annual excess insurance policy via moneysavingsexpert.com cheaper than the add on you get offered locally. And covers tyres/windows etc.

:) For peace of mind look around the car, photo any damage existing and get it noted, they never seem too fussed about small scratches.

Yep they are fine - depending when and where you are collecting the car, be prepared for long queues + what Flyinspanner says.

I've heard quite a few horror stories of hire car companies and them claiming it was damaged upon return etc, I plan to take photos of the whole car to minimise risk and have purchased the excess waiver insurance from them too when booking, excess waiver was only £20 more then standalone policies from other providers so just went with it while booking so theres no messing with reclaiming in the event of a claim.

The larger US companies are generally OK.

If you come in having bought a package and go for the excess waiver then it's usually reasonable value (compared with a UK hirer) and you get minimal hassle on pickup and return.

They're fine. I used to use Alamo and Enterprise all the time in the States.

These days I usually find that booking BA flights and an AVIS rental car is the better deal in Europe and the US.

But don't be a sucker. You don't need extra insurances - what you paid for is good enough: they're lying when they tell you that you need more, and don't accept a chargeable upgrade. When I flew into New York, Enterprise in New Jersey always gave me free upgrades because they never had a Mondeo sized vehicle, so I'd get a free whizzier Corporate or luxury SUV. And always take photos of the rental car when picking it up - that way you can argue if there's some kind of issue about damage. And remember to return the vehicle with the right level of fuel - they will rip you off if you don't

in 30 years of using rental cars I've only ever had one bump. An uninsured Mexican who bumped into the back of my Minivan at low speed, down in Texas. She admitted liability and that she didn't have insurance. Calls were made. And it didn't cost me a penny because it was her fault.

Don't get that - there isn't an excess on US rental cars?

Rented from Alamo multiple times, and never had an issue. Hertz, on the other hand, caused billing issues several times on the run so I stopped using them.

Thank you all :) feel relaxed about my booking now.

I used Alsmo once, don't remember any details so it must have been fine :)

I frequently rent cars abroad, and I always pay extra for full insurance cover with zero excess, this way I don't have to worry about anything and I don't really care about the condition of the paintwork at the point of collection.

In the past 20 years I can only remember one ocassition where the rental company claimed that there was a new scratch on the bumper when returning the car, which I just signed off without even checking or arguing about because it was of no consequence either way...

So based on my experience (Avis, Enterprise, Budget, etc), I don't think that rental companies routinely slap on customers 'fake' repairs, though obviously this can happen.

Hi All

We're planning a west coast road trip and have booked a car with Alamo via gotrentalcars, reviews seem decent enough.

........... :)

Another point to remember is that you might (actually it quite possible) not get the exact make and model you booked. They (all the hire companies) sort out the paperwork and send you to a location in the parking lot and tell you to choose the car you want!

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    83 bytes · Views: 3
  • image.png
    image.png
    83 bytes · Views: 3
Another point to remember is that you might (actually it quite possible) not get the exact make and model you booked. They (all the hire companies) sort out the paperwork and send you to a location in the parking lot and tell you to choose the car you want!
Yep we've booked a Mustang but they could also provide a Camero

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom