Anyone used Autoglym Polar Seal?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

c63chris

MB Enthusiast
Car
SL63 + BMW 335d Touring
mate of mine swears by it and tempted to give it a go, interested in others experiences.

It's a decent product, these spray on rinse off sealants have been around for a while now, I've tried a few and have to say I prefer the ones you spray on with a trigger bottle.

Main issue is that the siloxane doesn't adhere to glass as well so it can look pretty nasty after, you can get much more accurate with a trigger spray than a foam lance. Either way they never last more than a couple of washes or drives in the rain

Not yet, but I think it did quite well when John over on the Forensic Detailing Channel reviewed it a little while ago.

Well I picked a bottle of polar seal in the Amazon Sale and it's good stuff.

Not sure if will replace my spray on quick detailer yet for my car but certainly for the missus Zafira it's a game changer for me as I hate polishing up that thing.

Pro's would be:
- A little goes a long way, it says 4 caps (40ml) per 200ml so I dosed about 8 being a 600ml bottle.
- It takes a step out of having to touch the car again reducing scratching.
- Drying was certainly easier.
- Smells great.

Cons:
- Expensive at £17 - £20 a bottle.
- Can't get on glass which is pretty much unavoidable so I just went for it and cleaned the glass the next morning.
- It's not a quick detailer so any water spots aren't necessarily removed after. I found myself reaching for the QD on my black car to remove them but with the missus light blue Zafira there nearly invisible anyway.

I'm not sure about the beading or longevity of the product as I only used it Saturday for the first time but the morning dew didn't bead off like it does if I give the car a thin coat of wax.
If I found this in a sale for near or under a tenner then I'd definitely pick it up for the missus car or if I'm just giving the car a quick clean and it will probably be used much more in the winter months than the summer.

It's an ok product in isolation but as usual Autoglym are late to the party.

Gyeon Wetcoat and Carpro Hydro2 Lite are both better performing in terms of water behaviour and longevity.

cheers,

Chris

Yep - I've been using the Carpro on my wife's car after every 2nd wash and it is quite effective but
1) Expensive,
2) Shelf life is relatively short.....

I'm another who prefers the more precise targeting of a trigger spray bottle. Anybody who prefers going down this route would do well to check out Bouncer's Done & Dusted Si Edition as a QD/drying aid. It really does turn gloss and slickness up to eleven and looks well positioned to displace the ubiquitous Sonax Brilliant Shine Detailer as my go-to QD. I do concede it is slightly more of a faff to apply than Polar Seal since it is a wipe on/wipe off product but for the result it achieves, I think it punches way above its weight.

It sells for £14.99 for 500ml but this morning was coming up on the In2Detailing site as £12.49 at the Checkout but the rub is you need to spend £50 to get free delivery:
Bouncer's Done & Dusted Si Edition 500ml

John Delieu seems to like it well enough too:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

A slight aside on cleaning glass after spraying bodywork with polish. A local detailer suggested Nilco glass cleaner. £15 ish for 5 litres. Brilliant product if you use a glass cleaning cloth doused in the stuff. Leaves no streaks and gets rid of everything on glass. Good for mirrors too.

I did my E over 4 weeks ago now and it's still beading so it's lasted here, I also did the other car a couple of days ago and these were the beading results:

From over 4 weeks ago:
20190724_071930.jpg

And then the other car done a couple of days ago:
20190724_071923.jpg

To get it off the glass I've gone over afterwards with Autoglym Glass Polish, I need to do the MB again as I don't know what the garage I bought it from used but it's left some evil marks on that are proving to be hard work to fully remove (I haven't hit it with the orbital polisher yet).

So used this stuff a couple of times and it's OK.

It isn't going to replace a trigger spray or a quick waxing for me on my car but certainly for cleaning the missus Zafira or the work Amarok it does make life much easier at the end as they are both larger vehicles.

If I see it for a tenner or under I'd pick one up for those quick jobs but other than that I wouldn't actively seek it out.

The longevity is ok but obviously nothing like keeping the wax topped up, I just don't get that warm and cosy feeling that the car is protected properly.

My results mirror those above, after 5 weeks there is still good beading effect and Nillco glass cleaner makes short work of any overspray.

Put it on the 335d and it worked well though the door seals all creak now. Known BMW issue so car booked in for fix. Seems to work well though I have bottled it and put a layer of purple haze on!

Put it on the 335d and it worked well though the door seals all creak now. Known BMW issue so car booked in for fix. Seems to work well though I have bottled it and put a layer of purple haze on!
Do you use Gummi Pflege at all? I usually do the rubber seals on my cars a couple of times a year and it does a good job at making them all last that bit longer.

Do you use Gummi Pflege at all? I usually do the rubber seals on my cars a couple of times a year and it does a good job at making them all last that bit longer.

Yes you can use the likes of Gummi Pfledge but if you don’t do it like weekly the seals creak. It’s a known issue with the 3 series. Sadly one carried over from the E9x to the current F3x. They put ptfe tape round the door frame and it’s fixed. Transparent tape so it’s not obvious.

Wouldn't mind trying polar seal. Super resin works a treat. Didn't get to apply extra gloss but decent results few days in... Screenshot_20191105-215341_Live focus.jpg Screenshot_20191105-215259_Gallery.jpg

It's an ok product in isolation but as usual Autoglym are late to the party.

Gyeon Wetcoat and Carpro Hydro2 Lite are both better performing in terms of water behaviour and longevity.

cheers,

Chris

I've used a bottle of Hydro2 on my wife's car and it does not last very well so the Autoglym product must be hopeless.

I have used the bottle for a while now and as the days get colder I'm finding a new found love for Polar Seal.

I'm repeating myself here but for the missus Zafira it's great just bought another bottle in an amazon sale for £13.

I caved the weekend and tried it again on my car because time was short, it was cold and we were having a clear out on the run up to Christmas and to be honest I was happy to have used it.

It gave a better finish than the first time I used it most likely due to being cold and not drying in 30 seconds on black paintwork like in the summer and the beading the following morning was pretty good.

Longevity wise I'd say maybe a weekly or two weekly would be needed as you can notice when it comes to the next clean that the protection has dwindled, unlike a good waxing session which gives you a warm and fuzzy feeling for weeks on end.

That being said I think this does have it's place of the shelf for regular upkeep in between waxing and I find it very satisfying knowing it's gets in all the nooks and crannies and that it's one less touch on the paintwork like using a trigger QD or anything else for interim cleaning.

To be perfectly honest it has worked out very kind on my pocket too, since buying it for the missus car I have probably used two bottles of QD on my car while this still has just under half a bottle left, not bad for the £13 I paid in July and nearly 6 months of mostly weekly cleaning so it would work out over 20 washes by the time this bottle is done.

I can't compare it to "Gyeon Wetcoat and Carpro Hydro2 Lite" as I've never used them but if you see it cheap it is worth picking up.

If the weather holds I'll post a few pictures this weekend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom