Anyone used Knoppix?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Steve_Perry

MB Enthusiast
Car
CLS350CDI Grand Edition
A question to all our IT gurus...

Has anyone got Knoppix Ver3.3 (Linux which can be run from a CD) to run with a winmodem (Smart Link 56K Modem to be precise). I've read many a post about how Linux tends to be picky when running with software modems but looking at the Smart Link website their blurb reckons all their modem products are Linux compatible. Other than not picking up the modem on my laptop Knoppix runs a treat, a definite must in case of PC/Windows emergency.

I've also seen Linux Defender, another Linux OS that's based on Knoppix, anyone had experience of this?

S.

Always keep a knoppix CD handy in case Windoze goes tits up, recognises cable modem connection automatically, no fuss. I have heard it can be used to access hard drives on locked PCs, wouldn't know anything about that though officer...

Not sure about the modem issue though, sorry.

Knoppix rules! :D

I've used it a few times and it never ceases to amaze me :)

http://linmodems.org/

Any use to you?

Having mainly used external modems in the past, I must admit I am not too hot with regards linux internal modem support.

I actually use Gnoppix myself, basically the same but with a Gnome front end :)

--
Ant

The way I see it is anyone who skimps and buys a winmodem deserves what they get :devil:

To be honest, the £5 difference in cost between a Winmodem and a 'real' one isnt worth my time or yours in trying to get it to work. :cool:

Tried Knoppix 3.3 today, but can't make it see my USB connections yet.
ie modem, printer, scanner, ZIP drive

Thanks Bloodmoon, I did have a look at that site but I didn't find it much help, I have been to my modem manufacturer's website and they claim all their products have Linux drivers, trouble is they're meant to be used with permanent OS installations as opposed to bootable CD OS's. I think I'll wait until Knoppix includes more modem drivers.

Spike, are there any laptops on sale today that include a hardware modem rather than skimping and using a software winmodem type? :p :D

PJH, my USB devices work a treat... cordless optical mouse, printer and 128Mb USB memory drive. I've found the only thing that fails to work is the winmodem but that is a known issue.

Finally, when this thread was originally posted we didn't have an IT section, now that we do, I should move the post ;)

Moving...

S.

PJH said:
Tried Knoppix 3.3 today, but can't make it see my USB connections yet.
ie modem, printer, scanner, ZIP drive

Have now got most USBs to work, just the modem to fix.

Success!! :D

I couldn't get Knoppix, even V3.4, to work with my Smart Link winmodem. However, I tried another Linux Live distribution ( i.e. OS bootable off a CD) called Mepis, see http://www.mepis.org and that works with my winmodem! Infact, I'm currently viewing this site with my laptop running Linux 2.6, KDE and using Konqueror web browser. Well smart imho. :) I am warming to this OS. :rock:

S.

PJH said:
These may be useful for beginners Linux Commands
Thanks for that site PJH, very useful :) Here's another one that I found that is also good for noobs like myself:

http://www.linux.com/howtos/HOWTO-INDEX/index.shtml

I think my fave aspect of this Linux distro is that I can run at a true screen res of 1400x1050 :D Very crisp and a large desktop for my 21" monitor. The best that my OEM version XP can manage is 1024x768 heh 'tis like block-o-vision in comparison.

S.

Wrong video driver then surely Steve? I'm running a 22' at 1600x1200. Can't see it being an XP problem :confused:

PJH said:
These may be useful for beginners Linux Commands

Keep being told by my resident IT doom mongers I should get Linux running on my PC's if only for the day when Microsoft products get hammered by something really, really nasty which has no easy fix.

Which is the best "Linux from scratch" site?

Looked at a few sites but they all seem to work off an assumption of a fair degree of existing awareness of Linux and common issues/commands. Some seem to be written in a style so obscure that it would be familiar to 15th Century alchemists

Flyer, I've defo got the right video drivers, they are the originals that came with the laptop. Just that the video driver for XP won't drive an external screen above 1024x768, probably tied to the LCD's native res.

Satch,

There are hundreds (quite literally) of Linux distributions out there, a good site that lists most of them is http://www.distrowatch.com

I've found that all my laptop's hardware was picked up by Linux distro called Mepis. Apparently, many versions of Linux can't work with winmodems but Mepis is one of the exceptions that prove the rule. As long as you can burn a CD from an .iso image then you can get up and running with Mepis, or Knoppix.

S.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom