Anyone used MB Touch-up stick set before?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swl

We found some light and some deep scratches on the bumper and near the wheel arch today. :mad: We were given an MB Touch-up stick set (to cover stone chips) by the salesman when we got the car. Has anyone used MB Touch-up stick set before to cover scratches?

I did a search on "scratch" and found T-cut and Meguiars ScratchX. Will either of these product work for a brilliant silver car if the MB touch-up stick is useless for scratches?

Regards,
swl

Hi,

Does your pack come with two sticks? One paint and the other clear lacquer?

Either way, make sure you give the paint stick/bottle a thorough shake immediately before applying the paint otherwise you may find the paint you apply several shades darker than your bodywork colour. Also I would use a wooden toothpick as an applicator as opposed to the brush in the cap. Actually a forum search on toothpick might throw up a result or two. Make sure the paint has dried/cured before applying the clear lacquer coat.

After you have used the touch-up paint stick set then use one of those other products that you mention e.g. the ScratchX to further blend in the repair with its surroundings.

S.

Steve_Perry said:
Hi,

Does your pack come with two sticks? One paint and the other clear lacquer?

Either way, make sure you give the paint stick/bottle a thorough shake immediately before applying the paint otherwise you may find the paint you apply several shades darker than your bodywork colour. Also I would use a wooden toothpick as an applicator as opposed to the brush in the cap. Actually a forum search on toothpick might throw up a result or two. Make sure the paint has dried/cured before applying the clear lacquer coat.

After you have used the touch-up paint stick set then use one of those other products that you mention e.g. the ScratchX to further blend in the repair with its surroundings.

S.
Go with Steve's advice, and you will get good results. also try to build up a few thinner layers of paint before applying the lacquer. A good polish afterwards, and you will hardly see the repair - especially with Silver ;) ;) :p

S.

Thanks, Steve and Sym for your advice. Hubby is waiting for weather to be a bit better so that he can wash the car before using the MB touch-up stick on the scratched areas.

Regards,
swl

Touch up paint wont last long! youll be applying it in a couple of months/weeks dependeing on how it is applied and how often it is washed/polished! but it works!

as koolvin said, not a long term solution, but i found the MB stick wasnt that good, however the new halford sticks are great and the color match is pretty good too (on my silver!)

Alps said:
as koolvin said, not a long term solution, but i found the MB stick wasnt that good, however the new halford sticks are great and the color match is pretty good too (on my silver!)
I've used the Halfords ones on my car too.

This is how I repair the scratches: Dip a cocktail stick in the bottle, draw some paint into the scratch. Wait an hour or so then put some more on. A day or two later, use something like T-Cut colourfast and polish the whole area like mad! You can get some good results using this method.

Saw hubby's handiwork with the touch-up paint. He said to me that he hasn't apply the lacquer yet. Wasn't impressed with the work as the scratches are still showing (I hope he doesn't see this reply!). Personally, I think he has given up hope of covering the scratches well. He told me today that he is going to get a quote for a respray job (or something to the effect) from the mate of an ex-neighbour (car mechanic) of ours.

Alps, I will pass on your tip about the Halfords touch-up stick if the respray quote prove too much for his wallet.

Thanks again, Koolvin and Alps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom