Anyone used Noisekiller soundproofing ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

garystu1965

Car
Mercedes E350 CDI Coupe
I've just had a quote from them for a complete kit. It's special soundproof foil that dampens vibrations and minimises engine, road and exhaust noise. I was quoted £165 for the material and £90 for fitting. Apparently the foil goes over the original soundproof stuff in the bonnet and also is fitted under all the carpets and around the transmission tunnel. I need my car to be quieter !

You can get similar stuff from B&Q. I think its called Flashband. Damn cheap compared to what you have been quoted.

Granted it is heavier, but does the exact same job. Its foil backed bituminous stuff which sticks well but only in reasonable warmth.

Hope this helps.

liammc said:
You can get similar stuff from B&Q. I think its called Flashband. Damn cheap compared to what you have been quoted.

Granted it is heavier, but does the exact same job. Its foil backed bituminous stuff which sticks well but only in reasonable warmth.

Hope this helps.
Thanks a lot for this. I'll try some under my bonnet and see if it quietens the engine noise a bit.

culpano said:
Thanks a lot for this. I'll try some under my bonnet and see if it quietens the engine noise a bit.

It also has a very low flashpoint being as it is bitumous (its tar based) ;) . Just hope it dont fall off the existing fiborous insulation under your bonnet and onto the exhaust/s 'else you can kiss good bye to your pride & joy.

Sorry for being Prophet of Doom :eek: but.......

Portzy.

portzy said:
It also has a very low flashpoint being as it is bitumous (its tar based) ;) . Just hope it dont fall off the existing fiborous insulation under your bonnet and onto the exhaust/s 'else you can kiss good bye to your pride & joy.

Sorry for being Prophet of Doom :eek: but.......

Portzy.

Yeh I should have added it needs to go onto the body which must be grease free, that includes any waxoyl. If its noise in the cabin your worried about then you can rule out treating the engine bay. The material under the bonnet does its job pretty well IMO.

Usually sources of noise are the floor(mainly the front behind the bulkhead), doors, rear wheel arches and boot floor.

If you pay someone to fit the stuff, you can bet that they wont break their neck to put the stuff where it matters if it involves too much work.

Some people use the method of tapping the bodywork and if it resonates or sounds tinny then just treat that particular area. A manufacturer called Dynamat also produce this stuff but it is more for ICE systems, anyway they make a spray on equivalent for awkward areas which is useful.

Flashband does have its limits, but for the results is far far cheaper.

Cheers

culpano said:
I've just had a quote from them for a complete kit. It's special soundproof foil that dampens vibrations and minimises engine, road and exhaust noise. I was quoted £165 for the material and £90 for fitting. Apparently the foil goes over the original soundproof stuff in the bonnet and also is fitted under all the carpets and around the transmission tunnel. I need my car to be quieter !

FWIW
I don't think this will work.
The noise is low frequency noise being transmitted through the body structure, not airborne noise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom