Anyone using 'gojacks' or wheel skates in their garage

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Vintage Racer

Car
2001 Mercedes R129, SL320......1959 Triumph TR3a......2010 Discovery 4.
I have a 3 car garage, but only one central entrance.

Having just bought my R129, SL320, I need to be able to move the car across the garage floor.

Has anyone used anything like these: Sealey Car Wheel Skate Dolly Jack go 570kg WS570 | eBay

Seems like the only 'easy' way to move the car in a confined space, but would be interested to hear of anyones experiences with them.

Cheers

Glynn

Didn't they use these on Wheeler Dealers to get a Lamborghini Urraco out of the garage and on to a flat bed?

Used real Go Jacks all the time when moving Super Touring cars around the workshop and pit garages due to their very poor lock.
Will only work on good surfaces due to the small castors and would not work on 'real' race cars due to the very low ride heights.
But should be fine for what you are proposing ;)

Dollies work well given the right circumstances. I've watched 4 strong lads push an 11 ton machining centre across the workshop and position it to within 50mm. But, as Mactech points out, that was on a very smooth and - most importantly - very, very flat surface. You don't want one of them picking up speed thanks to gravity..

Cheers,

Gaz

Last edited:
They are very good. We use them to move site cabins into very tight and confined spaces eg underground car parks and loading bays.

Last time I used them was to re-position a very badly parked car in the works yard. The vehicle was put in a wash-bay which was about the same size as a double garage and we had no problem safely positioning it sideways leaving about 100mm/4" either end. :devil:

I hear the car owner spent a considerable amount of time after work trying to find the skates because they hadn't been put back where they were found. :D

I made my own version thar also removes the weight from the tyres. Bought 4x casters from bulldog casters (I only needed to move an original mini so got some rated at 300kg each - £80 the lot, sealeys are about £700), bolted the casters to large wooden blocks that were thick enough to ensure when the car is dropped on them the wheels are off the ground. Jacked car with a trolley jack and popped the cater with block underneath.

Once all 4 are in situ (under the jacking points or any structural part), you can move the car how you like and the tyres wont suffer while its stored. Not quite as convienient as the skates, but I have found them to be a cost effective alternative

Those are expensive. I have a few of these around the shop and they do a good job of tucking project cars out of the way.

1000 Lb. Capacity Vehicle Dollies 2 Pc

They're not perfect as the wheels on these and the ones you're looking at are small. This means that some effort is required to move cars around especially if the ground is not 100% smooth or well kept (Probably will be super easy if it was a lotus 7 on a marble floor).

If I was rotating cars on a regular bases and had your situation, I'd start looking very seriously at installing extra doors.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom