Anyone with the Garmin streetpilot? help needed before I throw it out the window...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

guydewdney

MB Enthusiast
Car
906 Sprinter 313cdi
I have the streetpilot III colourmap. Latest (150 dollar V6 map) latest software dlonloaded and installed.

the pigging thing keeps taking me down some gawdawful tiny little country lanes - WHY? ferchrissakes the blooming car is wider than some of these tiny little roads that are so small the thing doesnt have a name for the road im on.

I have the settings for 'fastest time' rather than 'shortest distance' and 'best route' rather than 'quickest calculation'

set as a Car (not truck, bus pedestrian etc)

it also doesnt have the soddin' gert big A41 dual carrageway in it - been built for 3 months, after being built for at least a year.

cant seem to find West Wycombe - yet when i look using the pointer, I can get it to route there - im sure there are plenty of other places like that - im just angry after it took 40 mins to do 10 miles cos I had to do 20 mph down tiny little roads so as not to gt scratches/ stonechips.

there was a time when it tried to take me through RAF halton :eek:

tonight, it took me down a little allyway, just to join up with the road i was on - which was a 40 limit. the allyway was LONGER than the road i was on - aaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhrrrrrggggggggghhhhh

please please can someone tell me that my unit is not doing things right, and i should send it back. I swear it didnt use to do this - but now with the latest s/w, 128mb chip, external gps aerial (necessary to egt the good signal through the heated screen) and now the latest map (which I thought would cure it - but its WORSE!

sorry for the rant :(

Last edited:
Guydewdney:anyone with the Garmin streetpilot? help needed before I throw it out the window...
Know how you feel,my feckin useless compooters up in the attic which has Velux windows-i reckon i could chuck it about 40ft from up here......(probably land on my car though).

There are only two companies that make the base maps so most sat nav units share mapping problems. Its not unusual for them to be out of date either, 3 months is very recent! My NavMan has the same problem with the A41.

The NavMan will only take me down tiny roads if I have it on shortest distance. I once nearly came very unstuck as it took me down a track along a river which really wasn't suitable for motors and there was no-way to turn round! On quickest time it doesn't do this but does occasionally take me off a main road and then back onto it a short distance later.

Autoroute has done that to me, I ended up crossing a river, luckily I was in a landcruiser and it wasn't an issue. :bannana:

guydewdney said:
I have the streetpilot III colourmap. Latest (150 dollar V6 map) latest software dlonloaded and installed.

I have the settings for 'fastest time' rather than 'shortest distance' and 'best route' rather than 'quickest calculation'

set as a Car (not truck, bus pedestrian etc)

:(

My StreetPilot has taken me down the odd narrow lane, but you seem to be having real problems mate.

Can I ask if the settings for fastest time was set on your computer before you downloaded the new map? As I think it may make a difference. As when I try to alter my unit settings to say Walking instead of car it takes no notice. Maybe the setting wasn't right when you downloaded it???? :confused:

i called garmin today. their kludge was to set the route calc to fastest time - thereby taking the least number of turns, therefore staying on the same road as opposed to taking the little piddly roads.

we will see...

ill go check the mapsource thing now.

guydewdney said:
i called garmin today. their kludge was to set the route calc to fastest time - thereby taking the least number of turns, therefore staying on the same road as opposed to taking the little piddly roads.

we will see...

ill go check the mapsource thing now.

Yup , been there done that with the fastest time thing . You think you had problrms with your CL . I had to drive a caddilac deville DTS down a road hardly big enough for its wheelbase with hillbillies playing banjos down each side because the road looped and this small road was streight across :devil:

fuzzer said:
Yup , been there done that with the fastest time thing . You think you had problrms with your CL . I had to drive a caddilac deville DTS down a road hardly big enough for its wheelbase with hillbillies playing banjos down each side because the road looped and this small road was straight across :devil:

so the fastest calc thing made no difference?

i had them on the phone again - they often said ' this is a driving AID!! not a router...'

hmmm

guydewdney said:
so the fastest calc thing made no difference?

i had them on the phone again - they often said ' this is a driving AID!! not a router...'

hmmm

oops , ment shortest , i now use fastest all the time now and it solved that problem.

Ive still to try the offroad setting :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom