Anywhere good to download old albums (That I already own) !!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

poormansporsche

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
W209
Afternoon all,

I have about 500 cds buried somewhere in the loft. I converted them all to mp3 years and years ago and never touched them since. It was such a long time ago that at home I didnt even have internet access so the were all ripped as audiotrack 1,2 3 etc. It was never really a problem til now when everything uses playlists etc. First off I dont even own a cd player anymore, my laptop doesnt have one either so to re rip with all the correct id tags id have to borrow someones computer and it would take me a bloody age to do them all again.

So is there anywhere good that I could just download without filling my lappy with virus's, its all old stuff no modern rubbish !!

Answers on a pm if need be !

Thanks

There are programs that you can use to set the id tags and file names by looking up the album

edit
I use Tag&Rename but this looks similar and I think FREE
http://www.mp3tag.de/en/

Last edited:
If you can find them on a free streaming service you could add an app to record whatever is being played through the laptop sound card/chip.

Mark's suggestion is more ethical (legal):eek:

MP3tag is a good piece of software to get album files renamed after they have been ripped.

Buy an external CD drive (which are very cheap) and download a music player so when you upload them this time, the music player does all the work including adding the album art and the album, artist, year, track numbers etc etc.

Examples include VLC and Musicbee or even Amazon Music Player or iTunes.

Delete all the old mp3 files.

First thing to do would be to re-rip them in Apple Lossless or FLAC so they sound half-decent

If you have an iTunes account with Apple they can "upgrade" your music to higher-quality versions by seeing what you have & replacing the files. Don't know if that will work with your old MP3s

Nick Froome

Afternoon all,

I have about 500 cds buried somewhere in the loft. I converted them all to mp3 years and years ago and never touched them since. It was such a long time ago that at home I didnt even have internet access so the were all ripped as audiotrack 1,2 3 etc. It was never really a problem til now when everything uses playlists etc. First off I dont even own a cd player anymore, my laptop doesnt have one either so to re rip with all the correct id tags id have to borrow someones computer and it would take me a bloody age to do them all again.

So is there anywhere good that I could just download without filling my lappy with virus's, its all old stuff no modern rubbish !!

Answers on a pm if need be !

there are places frowned upon by some! If you own them then in my eyes it is just a time saving exercise Mp3 is retro sound nowadays

Thanks
i still rip some of My 80,000+ CDs (in iTunes or media monkey or native instruments) and 55,000 Vinyl once in awhile (on my 1200/1210 Technics via a interface to my computer collecting music since early 70's :D

:thumb:

First thing to do would be to re-rip them in Apple Lossless or FLAC so they sound half-decent
Excellent advice.

My personal preference is to concurrently rip to FLAC (as Apple Lossless is a proprietary format that may change) and also mp3 (for use on portable devices) using the excellent dBpoweramp which automatically tags the tracks and finds artwork for you too.

I keep the FLAC copies in an offline archive which I can always access to replace any files that may go missing or get corrupted, and from which I can also create a new mp3 copy if required without resorting to re-ripping the CD.

Cheers for replies. I've downloaded a renaming software and its pretty damn good, can't believe how it identifies them really. Had a few mad moments (Beatles red and blue and 101 greatest blah blah) but mostly OK if a bit time consuming.

Noticed I'm missing a fair few albums and a few are corrupted so probably will end up in the loft unless I can find a dodgy download site !

The worst thing abut ripping CDs of albums you had on vinyl is that many sound like utter **** on CD. A lot of early CDs were made from average LP production copies or vinyl master copies and were digitised using gear that sounds awful

I remember hearing CDs in 1982 or 1983 played on a Sony CDP-101. I thought they sounded bloody awful

Nick Froome

Spotify.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom