APB Help: iMac 5K retina or not?

Discussion in 'PC and I.T support/Advice posts' started by IanA2, Nov 30, 2014.

1. IanA2

IanA2 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    SL60 AMG, GES300, Lexus GS 430
    Been cogitaing some time on new kit.

Decided on iMac 27" or mini mac plus thunderbolt screen. Issue is 5K retina or not?

Anybody got one? Is it really as good as is claimed?

I'm not terribly mobile at the mo, so was a tad annoyed, after a painful shuffle along to my local showroom (PCWorld) to find that they only keep 5K's on display in, "..in our larger stores."

Opinions gratefully received.

Thanks.

2. Spin_bowler

Spin_bowler Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    LR Discovery, Audi A4 Avant, Smart For Two
    I think the Apple screens are well overpriced because they know people will buy them, almost regardless of how good they are. I changed my iMac 21" earlier this year as we wanted a bigger screen so went Mac Mini for ease of transfer and so the other half and kids could still use it, teamed up with a Philips 27" screen connected over HDMI, saving about £700 over the equivalent IMac.

I suppose it depends on what you do but not sure that anything much needs anything more than 1080p for most applications.

3. OP
    OP
    IanA2

Car:
    Ok...but I've heard normally sane people rave about 5K's. Deluded or not?

4. Charles Morgan

Charles Morgan MB Club Veteran

Car:
    Mercedes 250CE W114, Alfa Romeo GT Coupe 3.2 V6
    I have Retina on my Macbook, a new one bought to replace an old Macbook without - the picture quality, particularly text, is stunning.

1 person likes this.
  5. OP
    OP
    IanA2

Car:
    Thanks Charles, that pretty much confirms what I've heard about retina in general. Would be good if someone has direct knowledge of the 5K screen.

6. b1g1an

b1g1an Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Thug in a silk dressing gown
    The 5k is only really worth it if you sit with your nose on it, though a lot of people do to be fair.

I've got a Thunderbolt screen that I use with a retina macbook pro in the office and it is fine at the three feet i sit from it and I find the thunderbolt hub features useful for leaving peripherals connected to and just one cable to unplug to go mobile. With a mini it wouldn't serve much purpose so it just comes down to whether you find the design, speakers and webcam worth the huge amount extra.

The retina display is worth it on the macbook because you have your face close enough to see the pixels in the same way most phones and tablets have high pixel densities now.

7. kitebuggy

kitebuggy New Member

If you can afford it, and use it sufficiently to justify it, go for it. Be warned though: once you've used a retina display you'll never willingly go back to one without.

I speak as a very happy user of the MBP 15" retina and I just drool at the thought of an 5k iMac. Waiting for Apple to release this as an external monitor...

8. Meldrew2

Meldrew2 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Mine: BMW X1 2.0d M-Sport & BMW 420d M-Sport+ Cabrio Hers: BMW X1 1.8d SE (sorry, guys)
    I'm very happy with my mac mini - teamed with an AOC 21" monitor it sits nicely on my desk and is as good as my eyesight thinks it is…

Including keyboard and touch pad it was about £700 ish from PC world IIRC.

9. OP
    OP
    IanA2

Car:
    For me the issue is 5K or not 5K.

If I do go 5K then that's that. If not I'll go spec'd up mini plus 27" thunderbolt. I would slightly prefer separates. Anybody know when 5K screens are due out?

Interestingly, once you spec up a mini to the equivalent 5K spec that I want, there's not a huge price difference.

10. markjay

markjay MB Club Veteran

Car:
    W204 C180 Executive SE 2013 Automatic / COMAND NTG4.7 and Morel speakers fitted by www.comand.co.uk
    Some of our clients have 27" iMacs.

Apple do not provide onsite support, which means that the tiniest issue makes it necessary to carry the whole thing back to the Apple Store.

Which is annoying, given that it is rarely the screen that is at fault.

Mac Mini and separate Thunderbolt screen get my vote.

11. OP
    OP
    IanA2

Car:
    For £139.00 they will for three years:

https://www.apple.com/uk/support/products/mac.html

JL will too also for a few quid less but cover not as comprehensive.

Nobody actually got a 5K machine? Looks like another trip for me :(

12. Meldrew2

Meldrew2 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Mine: BMW X1 2.0d M-Sport & BMW 420d M-Sport+ Cabrio Hers: BMW X1 1.8d SE (sorry, guys)
    I like the concept of separates - especially as the mac mini is so small - it sits in the corner of my L shaped desk well out of the way.

If I had a fault, I could always plug the HDMI into a TV - as long as a display fault is ruled out the rest of the gear goes in a carrier bag so it's easy to return, if needed.

Equally, the dearest part of the kit is under £500 - so even a replacement won't break the bank.

I imagine that the thunderbolt screen is superb - but what I have is fine. On my desk in front of me is the 21" AOC monitor, on the corner of the desk is a 15" Alba TV showing CCTV on it's (cheap but adequate) screen, on far wall is a 32" Sony TV (not HD) but all (except the CCTV) look fine, and I think it's the cameras that are the weak link on my CCTV.

The best improvement to seeing screens clearly was the new ceiling lights with CAT2 louvres fitted a few months ago. I'd probably only get the benefit of the Thunderbolt if I went to Specsavers…

13. OP
    OP
    IanA2

Car:
    Yup...that's why I'm interested to know if/when the 5K is due out. I could always muddle through for six months .....i'll give Apple a call in the morning.

:D:D:D:D

14. OP
    OP
    IanA2

Car:
    Looks as though it'll be a long wit for a stand alone 5K screen :(

Bandwith problems :eek:

"I’d estimate — granted, I’m wrong a lot — that Apple won’t ship a standalone 5K display until at least 2016, and it won’t work with any of today’s Macs, including the 2013 Mac Pro." From: Apple Cinema Display News and Rumors | Mac Rumors

15. b1g1an

Car:
    Been waiting years for them to put usb3 on the thunderbolt, it's not thunderbolt 2 either.

16. OP
    OP
    IanA2

Car:
    Presumably that's scuppers my plan b which was to spec up a mini and use a basic monitor pro tem and get a 5K when the become available.

But looks like they won't be able to connect

Is my pessimism right?

17. b1g1an

Car:
    No idea, Apple have dipped in and out of the display market many times. They're currently punting third party 4k monitors to go with the Mac Pros and the new standard will be 4k not 5.

I've always used Dell monitors before this one as you can get the same panel with more features for a much better price. Only went for this one for the thunderbolt hub as it then means I can use my FireWire drives and cabled Ethernet etc with the the one simple cable to the macbook as I said earlier.

I assume you appreciate they are in effect an early 27" iMac with the actual computer part removed.

18. markjay

markjay MB Club Veteran

Car:
    W204 C180 Executive SE 2013 Automatic / COMAND NTG4.7 and Morel speakers fitted by www.comand.co.uk
    It is provided by 3rd party (not directly by Apple), and very awkward to arrange. Can't comment on the John Lewis service, but if it's anything like their washing machine service, then it should be good.

19. b1g1an

Car:
    Apple Don't Care is another reason for going for a different monitor like Dell's offering. You usually get three or four years next day exchange service to your address though ironically the only monitor I've ever had die on me was one of Apple's! To be fair though that was in the days of CRTs and I've never had a problem with anybody's LCD monitors or in fact any Macs going back 25 years to the IIfx

20. OP
    OP
    IanA2

Car:
    Interesting, I've never heard a bad word about Apple's after care or CS before. I currently have six assorted Apple devices and have only ever needed post guarantee help once.

Sure it was a PITA to have to trek to MK, but they were extremely helpful and the repaired a MBP that I had poured coffee over, for a very reasonable sum.

I had thought it was a write off.

I have no hard evidence to say this, but I got the feeling that they carried out much more extensive repairs than those they charged me for.

Tags: