Apocalyptic weather!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

whitenemesis

MB Club Veteran
SUPPORTER
Car
Lexus RX450h F-Sport with Takumi Pack 2020
OK, really bad UK weather..,.

What car would you want to be driving?

I would not be going out the front door. :)

Why would anyone 'want' to put themselves and others at risk from an accident/injury?

Where would you be going that is so important, unless to save someones life?

The wife's Range , the 63 can stay in garage heated garage. But if I don't need to go out... It'll be the sofa and a bottle wine, sit it out and wait for rescue lol

Steve

I once had to drive from Cardiff to the South Coast in heavy snow, with the Severn bridge closed. The CLK500 felt like it had four wheel drive, not missing a beat. Yep, the traction control on a modern Merc is worth it's weight in gold.

I certainly wouldn't want to go out in a Ford.

I agree with those who say stay inside, why drive if one doesn't need to but the question really is just to see which cars people feel are 'safest', most 'capable' and confidence inspiring when conditions turn nasty.

sinclair1hr2.8724_zpssghqnetu.jpg

Only with the optional rain cover, obviously!

My old Toyota Amazon. No place for drug dealer rims in weather like that.

1922303_10152001963961347_633243081_n_zpsw3uk0vb6.jpg

I drove from Surrey to Edinburgh, Christmas 2010 in driving snow in a 2009 C180K sport estate.

For about half an hour on the M6 there was a white out, trucks were stopped at the side of the motorway, some were jack knifed and all you could see was the lights of the rear of the car in front of you. You dare not stop in case someone ran into the back of you.

It was the only time I have been genuinely terrified driving, if it ever happens again I'll find somewhere to park up out of the way.

I would have preferred to have been in a Range Rover.

It'd need to be able to take a knock or two without breaking your heart and if the weather was going to be really cold, then make it petrol, not diesel.

So, an older petrol G would be nice or a first gen Volvo XC something or other. The Swedes, from experience of living there in one of their coldest winters for decades, know how to build a car for inclement weather.

Noisy, tinny and sometimes downright dangerous, but you cannot beat a 2CV for fun driving in the snow. :D

Most cars with the RIGHT TYRES! But preferably something biggish so that when the idiot with the WRONG TYRES barrels into you at 50mph your chances of survival are maximised

Petrol or hybrid version?

I remember a few years back here in the South Coast we had a sudden downpour of icy rain, it instantly turned to ice as it hit the road then it snowed like nothing I'd seen before.
As luck would have it my new crap Ford Transit had broken down and we were using my Subaru SVX (it's an unusual concept type Jap import) which I had put winter tyres on a few weeks beforehand.
I can remember to this day people stuck all over the place not moving whilst we serenely wafted by thanks in part to its clever four wheel drive system and the winter tyres the looks on everyones face said it all.
I know there is a wide difference of opinion about winter tyres but I always have a set which I put on my Phaeton (4WD) about November, in fact because my vans often have in excess of £5K's worth of materials and tools in them I have recently gone over to some Continental four season tyres so I don't have to abandon it if the weather turns nasty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom