Apologies for basic oil question(s)...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gucci

MB Enthusiast
Car
Jaguar XF 3.0 Ultimate Black
Had a search, but couldn't see a relevant thread. Now, believe it or not, I've never had to top up oil in any of my cars :crazy:... but my trusty ML350's oil light flicked on/off last night. Checked my levels, and sure enough the oil level is sitting on the bottom level of the dipsick. SO...

1. How much oil do I put in before I destroy the engine? :confused:

2. Which oil? I had a look in the service book, it didn't say a particular one, just viscosity levels....I remember the Mobil logo as a sponsor...so took a punt at Mobil 1 ESP Formula 5W-30. Is this correct?:confused:

Thanks for your help :)

"I've never had to top up oil in any of my cars"

I hope that doesn't mean that changes have not been made at sensible intervals. There's plenty of informed opinion around recommending changes at six-month or 5000-mile intervals, perhaps stretched to 7500 miles on fully synth.

A dealer will confirm the amount represented by the gap between max and min on the dipstick if your handbook doesn't say so. On my old cars it's 2 litres.

At the Which Oil? section of the Castrol site, their Edge 0w-30 is recommended, with Magnatec 10w-40 as an alternative, so Mobil 1 5w-30 or 0w-40 should be fine, but ask the dealer too.

What was used last time? It should be in the service book, unless they have changed. How many miles on the car?

Yes, I've always had my cars serviced, so oil changes happened at the correct times by someone else. The car has 51k miles on the clock and is due for a service in 1500 miles according to the computer. The oil used isn't specified by the dealer in the service book :mad:

Cheers

Had a search, but couldn't see a relevant thread. Now, believe it or not, I've never had to top up oil in any of my cars :crazy:... but my trusty ML350's oil light flicked on/off last night. Checked my levels, and sure enough the oil level is sitting on the bottom level of the dipsick. SO...

1. How much oil do I put in before I destroy the engine? :confused:

Thanks for your help :)

Use Mobil 1 0w- 40
and keep pouring little by little about a tea cup at a time till it reaches the max on the dipstick

what does that mean?a longer dipstick?
is the Ml dipstick not the same size? and he says the oil lovel is at the lowest point.
If it goes too much over the max that is also bad for the engine

what does that mean?a longer dipstick?
is the Ml dipstick not the same size? and he says the oil lovel is at the lowest point.
If it goes too much over the max that is also bad for the engine

It was a joke, lady goes into garage and says "have you a longer dip stick please, mine will not reach the oil". ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom