Apologies if this has been asked a LOT, but...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Notamused

Car
BMW 3 series
I am looking at maybe getting an SLK 250 CDi, although not entirely sure. This would be a car my wife uses almost exclusively. She likes the styling and would be using it as a commuting tool. I fully appreciate and understand they are not the most practical of cars, but this doesn't really matter too much, as we have another vehicle should we need something with space, etc.

We tried one recently (AMG styled version) and she thought it was ok (well when I say ok, I think she loved it). I liked it too, although found it perhaps a little firm, lacking in space and other elements that may otherwise be available in alternative choices, but overall, it was nice. They are a pretty car too, so I see what she sees in them in that sense.

However, I would love to know what sort of return she is likely to get out of one re: fuel comsumption. She is currently using an E90 3 series, which is simply excellent on fuel. While I don't mind some loss compared to the BMW, I'd not want something that is going to be costing significantly more to run.

Her drive to and from work is more or less all Motorway, with approx 1/2 mile either side of a 20 mile motorway jaunt.

Any views on what these are likely to give in fuel economy.? I have read various opinions on that from various sources, but can't really make head or tail over what the truth of it is.

Thanks all.

I always look at the manufacturer's published figures and take at least 20% off

Does Honest John publish a 'real world' fuel consumption figure for the model?

Thanks for the replies,.

The manufacturers figures are utterly worthless from the off, so removing any percentage from them is finger in the air at best. There may be some merit in that kind of guess, but opinions from those who know these vehicles personally has to be the best way to judge.

The honestJohn site does have something by way of figures yes, but I would rather hear from people here or personally on what realistic looks like for these cars

Last edited:
There's something fundamentally wrong about a drop top with a diesel.

It's like serving sticky toffee pudding with gravy or marrying your cousin. There's no law against it, but there should be.

There's something fundamentally wrong about a drop top with a diesel.

It's like serving sticky toffee pudding with gravy or marrying your cousin. There's no law against it, but there should be.

Thanks for the reply, although I'm failing to see the point of it.

Notamused said:
Anyone got any knowledge on this.?
my wife has had a 2013 model for about 18 months. She travels to work daily from Ashford to Hastings, a 35 mile journey on a roads and normally averages in the low 50's. we have seen high 50's on a run up to Stamford but have also seen low 30's if I go out in it without her!!!

my wife has had a 2013 model for about 18 months. She travels to work daily from Ashford to Hastings, a 35 mile journey on a roads and normally averages in the low 50's. we have seen high 50's on a run up to Stamford but have also seen low 30's if I go out in it without her!!!

Thanks Mark, this is really helpful.

Can I ask... did you manage lower figures by harder driving, just that it was more urban stuff, or a combo of both.?

Mid to upper 40's would be ok and I'd be happy enough with that. It's just when I read about mid 30's to maybe "nearly" 40mpg at best, I'm thinking I'm better buying BMW again.

Thanks Mark, this is really helpful.

Can I ask... did you manage lower figures by harder driving, just that it was more urban stuff, or a combo of both.?

Mid to upper 40's would be ok and I'd be happy enough with that. It's just when I read about mid 30's to maybe "nearly" 40mpg at best, I'm thinking I'm better buying BMW again.
definitely harder driving. Although it's very diesely and quite loud it's also good fun to push hard. I understand the latest ones are a lot quieter.

Thanks Mark, most helpful.

Anyone else with knowledge on these, please feel free to chip in with any experience you may have.

I owned an SLK 250 cdi , loved it, drove down to Spain in it twice a year with wife, and a fully loaded boot, 1250 miles in two days, with one overnight stop in S/W France, averaged 43/45 mpg. Had it for two years, only sold it after I sold our other vehicle, and two seats, with a young granddaughter on school holidays aren't enough.was comfortable with a good driving position, but when a passenger, sometimes felt the seat needed to recline, or go back a bit more. Never had a problem other than that. Palladium silver, Bengal Red Nappa, Air scarf, Memory seats,great. Pootling about around town 45/50 MPG. :thumb:

Hey thanks Peter, this is very useful info. It sounds as though you liked it very much.

I agree with your views on the seat positioning. If you are very tall, then the space is perhaps limited for seat reclining / movement, although it was otherwise a very nice feeling inside the cabin.

I am of the opinion my wife would love one of these, so the views here so far are quite encouraging, though I'm not telling her that just yet.

Hey thanks Peter, this is very useful info. It sounds as though you liked it very much.

I agree with your views on the seat positioning. If you are very tall, then the space is perhaps limited for seat reclining / movement, although it was otherwise a very nice feeling inside the cabin.

I am of the opinion my wife would love one of these, so the views here so far are quite encouraging, though I'm not telling her that just yet.

Did you go ahead?

My Mrs fancies replacing our elderly SLK and a used one of these has taken her fancy.

Did you go ahead?

My Mrs fancies replacing our elderly SLK and a used one of these has taken her fancy.

Yes I did.

I quite like it, although I would prefer it to be slightly less firm.

The car drives well and is pretty economical. On a cross country journey of 250 miles, including busy A roads, motorways (both free running and congested) and very busy city centre for approx 8 miles in stop start traffic, it returned approx 52 MPG. granted I was taking it farily easy much of the way, but I think that's very good given the performance on offer.

Overall, my wife loves it.

My wife has a 2004 SLK200 and totally adores it. Our fuel consumption is false as she does not do many miles at all - but she does not seem to fill it any more than she did her Ka or A-class.

I have yet to get the grin off her face! :thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom