apologies-non Merc diesel engine question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

englishdas

Car
57 E200 Kompressor
Wife is looking at a fiat multipla as a second car. Before you start sniggering, we ran one up to a coupla months ago as a work car, and it never missed a beat over 3 years (apart from the suspension recall, a known fault).

She picked one out to look at, but on giving it a going over, I removed the oil filler cap as a rudimentary check, with the enging running, and was greeted with lots of pressure. I know this is a walk- away moment on a petrol engine, but is this something diesels do? My e320cdi never did, so I wondered if its specific to certain engines and acceptable behaviour, or a total no no for any car.

What do you reckon?

All diesels tend to breath harder than petrols, but that sounds like it may have a blocked breather.

Did it start well from cold, if so, don't worry.

Thanks Dieselman.

Actually, yes, I did the old arrange to see it but turn up half a day early trick.

And,it fired straight up and ran lovely. Blocked breather pipe. Never thought of that. It ran strong, turbo worked fine, no blue smoke, no white smoke, no suspension clunks, and hot air was there so the basics seemed fine.

Thanks again DM.

Not an answer to your question but I remember" back in the day" I had a TR4 Triumph which filled with smoke every time I took if a few miles. Turned out it had a relief valve fitted the wrong way round on the breather set up.
Reversed the valve and all was well!!
TR4 was British Racing Green with a black Surrey Top and wire wheels. Wish I had kept a photo.

Get yourself a fiat multipla, and you'll soon forget about that old TR4!!!:rolleyes:

They can have a bit of breathing but if it starts perfect then I would not panic as they are a strong engine

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom