Apparent Leak from middle of the back of the engine area

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

itaintemeyouno

Car
E220 CDI Avantgarde
Hi Guys,

60 Plate E220 Avantgarde

I got back from Heathrow where my car has been parked for 2 weeks, and having got up my steep drive some 3 hours later, find a trail of liquid behind my car. I have checked the oil and that is fine. I moved the car back and then marked the floor level with my front bumper and reversed back. There is then a damp part under the area level with the area the engine bay meets the dash. It's in the middle of the back end of the engine bay from the seem of things.

I'm dreading it being something expensive . I'm on 107k and last service was just under 8k ago. All services done at main dealer.

I know I'm clutching at straws, but any ideas? The liquid doesn't smell of anything, but my sense of smell isn't great and am also a bit stuffed up from 15 hours in a plane...

Smell and taste, if it's just a clear odorless tasteless liquid it'll be from a drain. Probably A/C

Careful with the smell and taste test. You may have cats in your area.

It is (as said above) most likely the air con drain - so nothing to worry about.

The problem is - Undertrays - fluid leaks sit on the tray then run out when you are parked up. A small leak can build up on the undertray then drop when it is ready.

If your coolant & oil levels are good? check the ATF and power steering fluid level(s) for the ATF you may need a dipstick. The Power Steering is usually a black round cap on the right hand side of the block, sometimes covered by an air intake, that can be moved aside.

Also check for windscreen fluid. The bottles leak at the filler neck gasket and drip onto the undertray.

Thanks all. I had my father in law check. Oil and coolant levels are all good and the ground is dry with no stains, also did a smell/taste test last night and no smell/taste to the liquid, so does look like A/C drain. It's 8k since last service and the oil is fine on level but quite black. All servicing is done with the MB Dealer to keep the MB recovery in place.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom